Feeder goldfish-illegal as bait?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeder goldfish-illegal as bait?

Default Feeder goldfish-illegal as bait?

So I went to the pet store the other day, I happened to mention livelining feeder goldfish near the store owner and she went bonkers on me threatening to call fish and game and to have me arrested.

Of course I marched right out the door and left her in my dust....Didnt want no trouble...

But whats the deal? Yay or nay? And why the heck would it be illegal to use a goldfish for bait? I can see dumping hundreds of them in a pond being a reach because it would turn into an invasive species of sorts I think?

What the deuce!!!

And I aint asking for trouble.... Dont want to be flamed by keyboard commandos with cabin fever, its just a simple question thats all.
    FISH ARE FOOD... NOT FRIENDS!!
    -Andrew K
    "and its wave over wave, sea over bow Im as happy a man as the seas will allow..."

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

In Pa it's not legal......

I FISH ..I VOTE..

NJ doesn't specifically call them out as illegal for bait like PA does but they do say

Invasive fish species such as northern snakeheads, flathead catfish, koi or goldfish must not be stocked or returned to the water!

Highly illegal. I worked in a pet store when I was younger. They are a invasive speices and will thrive in mud. The world record was caught in florida and it was like 12# or something like that.

Dont get caught using them for bait

Yup, invasive species......heres my question, the regs more or less state that it is illegal to introduce non native species to a water way....go to any bait shop here in pa around trout season and they sell the same rosy red's you find in the pet shop for feeder fish, not sure if they are native to the waterways around s.e.pa but i have never seen one in the wild....is it ok because they are not invasive?

Default Illegal in NJ

The New Jersey Fish and Game Code requires that a stocking permit from the Division of Fish
    and Wildlife is required for the stocking of any fish or fish eggs in all waters of the State, both
    public and private, which are contiguous with the ocean.

Also, Title 23:5-30 of the revised Statutes prohibits the stocking of “any kind of carp, or the seed thereof, in any of the public or private waters of the State”.

stocking = as live bait, they could escape the hook.

carp = goldfish

Definitely illegal. They grow quick and eat all day long. We have some in our pond that are a foot long. People think they're Koi but they're 10 cent goldfish

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish4me View Post
    Yup, invasive species......heres my question, the regs more or less state that it is illegal to introduce non native species to a water way....go to any bait shop here in pa around trout season and they sell the same rosy red's you find in the pet shop for feeder fish, not sure if they are native to the waterways around s.e.pa but i have never seen one in the wild....is it ok because they are not invasive?
    rosey reds are fathead minnows

same genus Pimephales and most likey same species promelas
    some think they are hybrids of different types of fatheads

A friend and I went to this pond in Delran, and we were walking around and we saw hundreds of gold colored fish. I believe they are goldfish but i wasn't sure. I couldn't believe how many there were and how big some of them were. I tried catching them but they didnt want anything to do with the stuff i threw.
    "Good things come to those who bait."

Quote Originally Posted by Bigs186 View Post
    A friend and I went to this pond in Delran, and we were walking around and we saw hundreds of gold colored fish. I believe they are goldfish but i wasn't sure. I couldn't believe how many there were and how big some of them were. I tried catching them but they didnt want anything to do with the stuff i threw.
    Could be them, Koi, carp, golden shiners. Were they gold or like an orange color?

The house needs paintin', grass needs mowin', wheres he at?, Gone Fishin'...

Definately illegal, I was fishing at a local pond and there was a guy next to me using live bait, game warden came down and checked everyones license, well he saw these gold-fish(bout 2 dozen) and went nuts, he gave the guy a citation and said he could if he wanted to, fine him $25 for each gold fish, they can overtake a pond and ruin it.

Not to flame, but I gotta ask, with all the real bait available, why would you even consider goldfish?

Quote Originally Posted by lacan4a View Post
    Not to flame, but I gotta ask, with all the real bait available, why would you even consider goldfish?
    Cheaper that minnows and easier to get

Where ever you go...There you are

Quote Originally Posted by lacan4a View Post
    Because they work really good...or so I've heard.

yes they are illegal they are basically orange carp they can grow to big sizes and eat alot In my opinion i think they can only be invasive if they are added in large amounts whats a few goldfish gonna do to a lake

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast