21 Tooth Bull Rake

Thread: 21 Tooth Bull Rake

21 Tooth Bull rake with 10 foot T handle and 10 foot extension.Large basket in rake.Can easily handle large takes of clams and mussels.$75.00 firm.if interested e-mail me at:dougbristol@yahoo.com.You pick-up.
    Sh-- Happens!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Doug,
    Any pics?

I have one almost identical to the description. Nothing like getting a few clams and an upper body workout.

Doug if Jason doesn't take it I will. Just got my commercial clam lic. and a 2 acer clam bed lease. Sent an e-mail

DM2
    DM2
    ***froggy1***
    **Tuckerton**
    *****NJ******

Don't wait until you KNOW what you want to do. Do the best you can at what's in front of you, opportunities will present themselves

Originally posted by doormatt2:
    Doug if Jason doesn't take it I will. Just got my commercial clam lic. and a 2 acer clam bed lease. Sent an e-mail

DM2
    Matt,
    I have one, I was hoping he had a pic so someone else could see what it looked like. I am alsy curious if it looks like the one that I have.

You want a good workout, put some padding on the handle and grab ahold of the T and spend about 6 hours yanking on it.

the rake you are describing with a t handle and the padding that lays on your shoulder is a donkey rake.a bull rake is like a shinnycock rake on a smaller handle that you work standing on a sandbar instead of out of a boat,some people use a harness which attaches to the head of the bull rake and straps to your hips or back to help pull the rake through the sand.bull rakes are popular in the carolinas.do not see many people here use them our bottom is a different sand.i have all the rakes you are describing.the ones the guys are using in the boats are shinnycock rakes also known as big rakes.louis

Originally posted by It,s Gittin Deep:
    the rake you are describing with a t handle and the padding that lays on your shoulder is a donkey rake.a bull rake is like a shinnycock rake on a smaller handle that you work standing on a sandbar instead of out of a boat,some people use a harness which attaches to the head of the bull rake and straps to your hips or back to help pull the rake through the sand.bull rakes are popular in the carolinas.do not see many people here use them our bottom is a different sand.i have all the rakes you are describing.the ones the guys are using in the boats are shinnycock rakes also known as big rakes.louis
    Not really worth debating, but I grew up calling them a bull rake. Guess us rednecks are backwards down here.

Here is a pic of a smaller bull rake similar to what I have. The head design is the same, but there is an additional 3' extension past the T and the handle is much longer. We use this out of a boat in deeper water with muddy bottoms.

[ 04-09-2006, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: MargaritaVille ]

Originally posted by MargaritaVille:
    Here is a pic of a smaller bull rake similar to what I have. The head design is the same, but there is an additional 3' extension past the T and the handle is much longer. We use this out of a boat in deeper water with muddy bottoms.

Jason,I spent the first 20 years of fishing ,clamming and musseling,down in Tuckerton. My boat was tied up on tuckerton creek from 1971 to 1984 at GEB marina.Like you ,I always called the rake that I have and the one in the picture a Bull Rake. Also,all the clammers in Tuckerton called our type of rake a Bull Rake. The only other rake that was used was a Tong which is made to operate like a scissors.Most of the tongers were oyster men.
    The one I am selling is my second rake. I can remember raking for 6 to 9 hours a day back in the 70's and 80's and coming home with a 200 to 300 hundred mixed sized of clams.The best part about using a bull rake,is that you can also get mussles with them.I would drift over mussel beds that were in 12 to 15 feet of water and just let that rake glide over the bottom.This was a bitch since yout grip had to be like a bulldog because you are going over a bottom and tearing the mussels off their bed. The byfus that bounds the mussels together and to objects on the bottom is as tough as powerpro. My best day was over 800 lbs of mussels.Luckly,my wife comes from a large Italian family,so getting rid of them was easy.
    I am selling the rake since I am now tied up on the Maurice and at 56 and having Cancer surgery 6 years ago,my days of pulling a Bull rake are done.You are right though about a serious workout with the rake. It is better than any gym .I can remember seeing the clammers that were working out of Tuckerton. They arms that looked like tree trunks and they had lats that stuck out. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Sh-- Happens!

shinyo 2 I am one of them tuckerton clamming pineys for 50 years.been on the bay my whole life.born and raised in tuckerton.in the 60's my boat was docked at the falls by tuckerton lake .known now as stewarts root beer stand.you may have called that rake a bull rake but it is a shinnecock rake or also called a big rake.bull rakes are not used in a boat.they are shinnecocks that have a different handle to work the sand bars with.i have everyone of the rakes you are talking about.if you were in tuckerton clamming for that time period.we have to know each other.i know every clammer who made a living on tuckerton bay.i use to catch mussels too.treaded them and tonged them,i am still catching oysters in tuckerton and great bay not to many people do that anymore.louis

Hi Doug hope all is well will be talking to you soon

T's

Doug thanks again for the rake and the info. I'll keep in touch for a clam or mussle bake this summer.

DM2
    DM2
    ***froggy1***
    **Tuckerton**
    *****NJ******

Don't wait until you KNOW what you want to do. Do the best you can at what's in front of you, opportunities will present themselves

Originally posted by doormatt2:
    Doug thanks again for the rake and the info. I'll keep in touch for a clam or mussle bake this summer.

DM2
    Enjoyed meeting with you and talking with you. Use the rake in good health and have fun.Give me a call when you get your first big haul.
    [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Sh-- Happens!