Removing crayon from LCD TV?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing crayon from LCD TV?

Default Removing crayon from LCD TV?

My 4 year old nephew decided to draw on my new LCD TV screen. I tried wiping off with the cloth and light water. Any ideas how to remove before I make my Sister buy me another TV?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

4 yr. old cheeks rubbed in a circular motion will remove it.
    Jimbo

use a hair dryer on low heat will make the mark come right off in about 30 seconds
    bent rods are not broken

I am reading WD40 on a clean cloth...worried about using that on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo
    Funny stuff Jimbo

I agree with the hair dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo
    Very funny!!!!!
    "We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

"Good thing for them you are here as the voice of reason." - Hardtop

Remove the nephew !

I have NOT tried these suggestions but found them online.

1. You may not be able to without damaging the screen.
    You can't clean the display screen of your [COLOR=#3976c1! important][COLOR=#3976c1! important]LCD [COLOR=#3976c1! important]monitor[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] with glass cleaner. Screen covers on LCDs are made of plastic, which is degraded by glass cleaner. Instead, use a clean cloth barely dampened with a mixture of vinegar and water, or with a mixture of water and tiny amount of soap.

2. Anyway, since most folks who end up with crayon on their LCD monitor have this anyways, it works very well: [COLOR=#3976c1! important][COLOR=#3976c1! important]Baby [COLOR=#3976c1! important]wipes[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR].

3. I use a cleaner from Kensington (http://www.kensington.com/html/1081.html) on my monitor _and_ my LCDs and it works great. It comes in a little spray bottle, and I use these neat little 3M 'electronics' microfiber cloths to buff off the spray. Works like a charm.
    I'm pretty sure you can get both of them at your local Office Depot/Max.
    I tried those cloths that were already pre-moistened with cleaner (don't remember the brand name), and they left a ton of streaks...I don't recommend them.

4. The official word on LCD cleaning in Apple manuals is to use a solution of diluted isopropyl alcohol, no more than a 50% solution. Usually the rubbing alcohol you buy at a drugstore that is either 90% or 98% pure but 98% is pretty hard to get (you don't need it anyway). I mix 1 part water and 1 part 90% isopropyl alcohol, which works out to... um.. something just under a 50% solution.
    Be absolutely sure to use a very VERY soft cloth. I use a piece of soft flannel. Do NOT use paper towels or anything more abrasive than an old worn out cotton Tshirt. Absolutely do NOT use windex or anything with ammonia in it, it can etch the screen surface and can cause the plastic to go cloudy. You don't want that to happen!
    BTW, there is a commercial cleaning solution called something like Klear-Screen, it's pretty expensive. It is merely a 50% solution of isopropyl alcohol and water. Just like I make, for a fraction of the cost.

Default You're so right

Absecon is right about the isopropyl alcohol solution. Use either flannel or get a micro-fibre cloth. There is also a repair gel kit out there if you should damage your screen.
    Maria

In order to hear what you've said you must learn to listen to what you are saying.

Quality is free; Equality comes at a price.

Alcohol will not remove wax which is what a crayon is made from. I have been cleaning wax off surfboards for more years than I want to say. The best wax cleaner is kerosene. It will disolve wax on contact. Wd 40 also works and all surf shops stock a wax cleaner made from oranges that works half as good as kerosene. I have no idea if they will damage the screen but I doubt they will. They will however leave a oily reisdue and thats where the alcahol can be used to remove the oil.

Barrell Surf & Kayak
    Phone: (609) 513-1680

Proud Supporter Of The Bass Barn!

If I were you I would need instructions for removing a size 10 shoe from the ass of a 4 year old.

I called Samsung. They recommended Monster Screen Cleaner. Bought a bottle from Best Buy for $20. Will test out tonight. At the very least my sister owes me $20...The shame of it all is that it ended the ngiht. My sister immediately packed up their stuff and left.

Banned

not worth it, it's only a TV and family is forever.

come on now, the kid is only 4, should he have "known" better, yes... but then again the kid is only 4...
    it's just a tv screen, I'm sure with everyone's input on this topic the screen will come out like new...
    keepin' it reel...

That's always been my fear having Sis and her kids over, especially after hearing the horror stories from her about crayon, marker, nail polish on her walls/floors.

I always do a quick "kid-proofing" before they show up, and she knows better than to bring any "drawing toys" over. I do provide the kids with sidewalk chalk though, and let them go to town on the patio. No coloring inside.

Gotta be really careful with the LCD's, but it could have been worse. Mine's a DLP, and I hear that if you try to clean the screen with any product, you're running a 50-50 chance at damaging it.

ETA - My cousin's kid once decided to "color" on his new F250 with half of a brick. Nice black and white sea scape....
    Last edited by Putem OnIce; 03-24-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast