Buying tires at BJ's.... a bad day
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying tires at BJ's.... a bad day

Default Buying tires at BJ's.... a bad day

I have priced these Michelins for the man-truck all over and BJ's sells them for a great price. You get free lifetime rotation, repair and balancing and they have them in stock.

So Sat afternoon the weather is lousy & I head up there to take care of it and do a shopping run for the house. Get there at noon, go to the tire center, fill out the paperwork, pay the guy, and go to shop the warehouse. Guy sez an hour, I say cool.

Shop up a storm, show up an hour later with a bulging mega cart of 90 packs of everything and enough bottled water to fill Lake Erie, the truck is up on the lift wheelless and the one guy that works the whole tire center by himself is sweating and cursing up a storm. After about 15 minutes he walks back into the "Members" area and tells me that they do not have the proper wheel weights to balance the tires, but he is talking to the Gen. Mgr and they are sending a guy over to Sears or somewhere to get them.

Another 45 minutes & out comes the guy again... "Sorry sir, but we have a situation and will not be able to get the weights as Sears will not sell them to us".... but if I drive the truck over there, the GM at BJ's will pay for Sears to balance the tires.

I am now approaching critical mass...

He puts the new tires on the truck and I vibrate my way over to Sears.

"Good afternoon sir, four tires to be balanced? No problem, leave the keys and come back in an hour". I say OK, and head to the food court at Hamilton mall to grab a bite and watch the Saturday goofball show.

60 minutes later, I go back to the Service center, and my car has not moved or been touched. "I am sorry sir, we are terribly busy, but I assure you that if you come back in 30 minutes, it will be done, you are next on the list". The lava is percolating in the back of my throat, my right hand is involuntarily beginning to clench and release a fist as my knuckles whiten. "Thirty minutes right?" "Yes sir, 30 minutes"... I spin and stroke back to the tool department to cruise the man-stuff... again.

Back 25 minutes later....... there are crickets chirping around the truck... no activity, no mechanic, nothing.....

I walk over to the same service writer... "I am on candid camera... right?.. The guy you promised would do the wheels got called away on a family emergency, right? YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW I REALLY NEAD TO BREAK SOMETHING RIGHT NOW.... RIGHT... RIGHT????

"I am trying sir, but sometimes my best is not enough...." I bust out laughing... "You must be f'ing kidding me...

I could keep torturing you with this..... but the end of the story is I got home at 6:30 after getting to BJ's at noon...

Sears lost $56 million dollars in the first quarter of 2008.

BJ's.. why should I be surprised? BJ's... blows.

Stay Tuna-ed!
    Capt. Ed B.

On The Water Magazine South Jersey Monthly Columnist & Weekly Fishing Forecast Blogger

Tackle Direct Pro Staff

Hydrasports 2800 Vector Twin 250 HPDI FOR SALE!
    http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/sho...ector-for-sale
    Marvelous Margate NJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

That sucked, but if nothing else, do you at least have the right tires for a good price and the job done right?

At least that's something to show for the aggravation.

How much could the savings have been over a tire shop. I need tires now, taping this to my forehead.
    Always near the water.

The moral is: Never do anything on a rainy saturday.Everyone else is too.
    "The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that aren't true."--attributed to Mark Twain\Cave ab homine unius libri\ "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts".
    -- Bertrand Russel

Quote Originally Posted by woolst
    How much could the savings have been over a tire shop. I need tires now, taping this to my forehead.
    Exactly!!! The local tire shop is usually managed by the owner and the customer service is usually much better as the owner cares about his business and customers, versus the chain stores (BJ's and Sears included) where it's just a job for the "Service Writer" you deal with. He could care less if your happy or you come back again because he doesn't have a nickel in it! You have to ask yourself how much is your time worth? Certainly more than the 10 or 20 bucks you saved at BJ's
    If I were you, well nevermind, I\'m glad I\'m not!!

$10 or $20 total? Or for each tire? $40-$80 matters to a lot of people.

Sounds to me like BJs ran out of the weights needed to balance the tires, weights they normally have in stock, and if it weren't for that, FMs crappy day wouldn't have been bad at all.

If it weren't for the weights, the concept of get tires for a good price while you go shopping for other items at a good price sounds like a winning formula to me.

Or do some of you just not like the big stores like BJs?

Quote Originally Posted by NOSTROMO
    The moral is: Never do anything on a rainy saturday.Everyone else is too.
    Bingo ........ NOSTROMO, I finally found something I could agree with you on.

Having worked in a retail tire stor for five years, I can tell you: Saturdays were/are always the busiest. Rainy Saturdays were even worse. Not unusual to have 15-20 cars in line, 2 1/2 to 3 hour wait, even with 7-8 guys.
    Given that the earth is covered two-thirds by water and one-third by land, it's clear as to how our time should be divided - one-third by work and two-thirds fishing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyZac
    $10 or $20 total? Or for each tire? $40-$80 matters to a lot of people.

I didn't say 10-20 per tire, you did. 10 to 20 on your whole bill is what I said. But even using your numbers waiting 6 1/2 hours at even minimum wage isn't worth it. And the customer service is still better at your local mechanic, tire shop, etc than it is at the chains. That is a fact.
    If I were you, well nevermind, I\'m glad I\'m not!!

Quote Originally Posted by FISHINBUDDY
    I didn't say 10-20 per tire, you did. 10 to 20 on your whole bill is what I said. But even using your numbers waiting 6 1/2 hours at even minimum wage isn't worth it. And the customer service is still better at your local mechanic, tire shop, etc than it is at the chains. That is a fact.
    I didn't "say" anything. I used these strange symbols called question marks. (?????) That would insinuate that I was asking.

FM said a "great price". I'm not sure I believe he meant saving $10 or $20 on the whole bill.

Argue all you want. I don't care.

FM- If nothing else, I hope that at least in the end you at least got a job done right, if not right on time.
    Last edited by JoeyZac; 06-02-2008 at 10:08 AM.

Just a guess,but bjs had a $60 dollar rebate on the purchase of 4 Michelins.Plus they have the lowest prices around on Michelins.So the total savings was around $200 bucks.
    How do i know?I stopped in one for tires last week. The staff looked like death row at San Quentin. I passed.

I have had good luck at Costco for tires, .... but I would be pissed as well if I got jammed up like that.

A letter to corporate may be a way to let them know what's going on and recieve some compensation. I was a Regional Manager for a large Corporation, and we tried to take care of issues like that with a discount or a few dollars when a loyal customer informed us of not being happy.
    AMPHIBIAN (Tom)

There is nothing -- absolute NOTHING -- half so much worth doing
    as simply messing-about in boats.
    From Kenneth Grahame's "The Wind in the Willows"

I bought the tires that were coming off the truck at Costco when the truck had 40K miles on it.... today it has 118K... great tires.

I saved over $100... that is real foldin money to me and frankly, I would have needed a dark crystal ball to see my short term dark future for my Sat experience.

Let's not second guess.... local tire stores do not buy the volume BJs or Sears do so they do not have the prices... and Sears will price match on top of that incidently.... I don't drop the kind of coin you pay for 4 new Michelins without shopping first.

I was 8 tire weights away from not having been infuriated with incompetence ... next time, I treat them like morons going in and check to make sure they have everything they need for me to be "satisified" and will most certainly have a conversation with the Manager before handing over my keys...

I did not post this so people would not take advantage of good prices by buying the same product for less.. I did it to give everyone a heads up should they choose to go the same route so they will not be as inconvenienced and aggrevated.

Stay Tuna-ed!
    Capt. Ed B.

On The Water Magazine South Jersey Monthly Columnist & Weekly Fishing Forecast Blogger

Tackle Direct Pro Staff

Hydrasports 2800 Vector Twin 250 HPDI FOR SALE!
    http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/sho...ector-for-sale
    Marvelous Margate NJ

Now broadcasting from the new MOVE compound somewhere on Absecon Bay

What are you worried about tires for anyway? You can walk across the street to your boat. As Fred Shakespere once told me, much ado about nothing. Let me know when you are ready to target some big fluke.

The disucssion does come back to what you want to spend money on, and whether or not conveinence is any part of that equation.

You go to the local shop you pay a bit more, the question is whether that premium is worth it to ya.

If you figure the local guy had decent scheduling and could have done the job in and hour and a half, you spent (using Ed's $100 savings) $20 bucks an hour for your time...

No different that mowing the lawn or having someone else do it. It take me an hour and a half, which is about 40 or 50 bucks an hour so I do it once a week and keep the money.

The question is, where is that breaking point for you? $20? $30? $100?

And for the most part I think that comes back to how much you make.

And you have to have a good local shop too because I've seen plenty of those that suck...

I've also seen some very good ones. fishinbuddy runs one of the good ones.

in fact a while back he quoted me a little job for my mother in law, which she took somewhere else becasue of the "lifetime warranty"... turns out they did the exact shortcut fishinbuddy told me, screwed up the job and now she will be without the car for another week while they fix their work... and oh btw they charged her exactly what lou quoted me for a job dsone right! that was a local shop... so you have to find a good one...
    Last edited by Darrin G. DGREENEMACHINE; 06-02-2008 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fmTuna
    After about 15 minutes he walks back into the "Members" area and tells me that they do not have the proper wheel weights to balance the tires, but he is talking to the Gen. Mgr and they are sending a guy over to Sears or somewhere to get them.

Another 45 minutes & out comes the guy again... "Sorry sir, but we have a situation and will not be able to get the weights as Sears will not sell them to us".... but if I drive the truck over there, the GM at BJ's will pay for Sears to balance the tires.
    Similiar thing happened to me a year ago. Go to Bj's Customer service and complain I got a 2 year membership for free out of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast