What if you hit a deer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if you hit a deer?

Question What if you hit a deer?

I had a really close call with a deer this morning. I tested my ABS and stability control to the limits. Thank god for Brembo brakes-if I didn't have them that deer would have been a hood ornament.
    If you hit a deer, do you have to call the police and treat it as an accident? Would your insurance go up if you made a claim that you hit one?
    I would think that in order to make a claim you would need a police report.
    This was my second close call in a month with a deer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

If I hit a deer with my truck, all I have to do is dispatch (if needed,) gut, toss in the back, then hit a carwash after it's hanging in the shed.

Quote Originally Posted by ridenfish View Post
    I had a really close call with a deer this morning. I tested my ABS and stability control to the limits. Thank god for Brembo brakes-if I didn't have them that deer would have been a hood ornament.
    If you hit a deer, do you have to call the police and treat it as an accident? Would your insurance go up if you made a claim that you hit one?
    Not sure about having to call the police... I hit a deer (Big AZZ Doe) 3yrs ago while i was on my way to work. I was on the NJ Turnpike. Hit her 2 about 75mph........ Needless to say my car was put to rest that night. Dodge Intrepid.... Dang i miss her. Deer got up ran into a field and most likely passed on.
    Last edited by Beach Pounder; 10-31-2008 at 07:09 PM.

This Addiction Knows No Color Boundries
    Team Twokidsandadad

Legally,You call the police.They can give you permission to keep the deer.Legally you can keep the meat,.if it's a buck you are supposed to turn over the antlers to the N.J.Div.of Fish and Wildlife.Most guys would not report anything.To answer your insurance question.My nephew hit 2 deer in one year.Insurance did not go up. Hitting a deer is considered an act of God which you have no control over.
    Mt Ephraim N.J.

depends on the state you are in I believe in Penn there is no report needed just contact your ins. co. At least that is what they told me in Wayne Co. when we hit one. The dispatcher asked if anyone was hurt and then if the vehicle was operable. The closest LEO was a game warden and he was 1 hr away. We jsut called the ins. and they said take it to a shop and they would take care of it. They did no prblems and my ins. did not go up.
    (VERN)
    AL RICHER
    MULLICA HILL,NJ

Hit a big deer w/ a slope nosed Porsche 930. Was not my car.
    Left the scene and went home. The owners Ins Co asked for photos from the scene. I had to provide a shot of the deer (dead) and skid marks from the scene. I also photographed the deers hair that was stuck within the $14K retractable headlamps.
    The following year I hit a mid sized deer in Marlton. It shattered my drivers side window and took out the mirror. Went back the following day and could find no trace of the deer. Once again the hair was enough for the Insurance co. to pay for repairs. I do not recall a rate increase for either incident.

I will now offer a reasonable charter service from the front of any vehicle I drive for Deer hunting excursions for those who have interest in high speed deer hunting. No weapons required.

Quote Originally Posted by ridenfish View Post

Not sure how true it is but i was told that you should tell the insurance company that the deer ran into you although i have not encounterd one yet
    Handle every stressfulsituation like a dog.If you can't eat it or hump it.
    Piss on it and walk away.

In high school I debated taking up vehicular venison slaughter professionally.

I had one come across Goshen Road and crack me on the driver's side door hinge. That was a treat. By the time I got home and went back with my dad's van a friend of mine had grabbed it.

Roughly 3 months later I clipped two, countem TWO at the same time on Goshen-Swainton road, roughly a mile or so as the crow flies from the first encounter. Tagged one square in the center of the grille, blowing out every light on the front bumper and crimping my hood up quite nicely, and flew roughly 35 feet down the road, landing at the edge of the woods. The second bounced off the front left fender and was DOA in the middle of the road. Random passerby stopped to see if I was alright, and apparently went home and called MTPD, as by the time i got my dad and we got back to the scene with the van, a car was there. Officer just asked if there were any injuries and once satisfied all was well, left us to collect the meat without a hassle.

"Our math shows that the bird is equal to, or greater than, the word"

My wife and I were going thru Glou. County around midnight 2 weeks ago I was bitchin about being out so late on a week night(5am comes around early) I was changing the radio station looked up and was tagging a doe right on the white tail ass.It was so close it was a blur.Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE my F250 Superduty LaBertha(she's BIG BLACK and Beautiful).If it would have even smeared stool on my truck I would be eating deer for dinner.I'm a animal lover and never would think about killing a deer but I love my truck more.
    16' Lowe Sea Nymph Bass Boat
    GO PHILLIES

Spring Hill, Florida - Cape May Court House, NJ

In Pennsylvania, as long as there are no injuries and the car is driveable you do not have to report the crash to the police. Even if a report has to be made your insurance will not go up.
    I dedicate my retirement to the memory of Izaak Walton who thoughtfully declared what so many of us would most like to repeat:
    "I HAVE LAID ASIDE BUSINESS, AND GONE FISHING."

Parris Island, Class of 82.

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really. ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

fazshell@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPY64 View Post
    In Pennsylvania, as long as there are no injuries and the car is driveable you do not have to report the crash to the police. Even if a report has to be made your insurance will not go up.
    Both of my recent close calls have been in NJ on rte 70. I did have a deer jump OVER the hood of my Trans Am a few years ago on Holme Ave in NE Philly.
    Makes me want to take up hunting. Venison is good and there are way too many deer. I was almost run over by a deer in a mountain bike race.

I hit one in April on my motorcycle going around 40. Thank god for leather and a helmet.

I think any accident where damage over like $400 you're supposed to report it.
    For those who talk of freedom and rights remember those who make sure you have them.

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPY64 View Post
    And how would you know this?
    "We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

"Good thing for them you are here as the voice of reason." - Hardtop

Room 112 right by the staircase, perfect place

If Mako hit a deer, he would clean up then hide the physical evidence
    So you made some enemies? Good that means you stood up for something.

The daughter of a friend of mine hit a deer tonight. She was reel shaken up so her mom told her to drive home and call the police just in case. The police officer came to the house wrote up a report and told her he could write her a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident Only in NJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast