Scan driverís license to buy beer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scan driverís license to buy beer

Default Scan driverís license to buy beer

Had some friends stop by on their way to Philly for the weekend. The hubby likes some highend imported stuff that I do not always have around. One of our local shopping centers (Drexiline in Drexilhill) has a new selection which includes building your own six packs. Sounds great Ė right? Pickup the snacks and beverage one stop. After a carful selection of 2 six packs I am asked for my driverís license while checking out. Funny at first but they wanted to scan it. I asked why - they said it was a new rule instituted by the state liquor control. I know the store manage as my son worked there in HS. I will stop by Sunday for some game time snacks and ask them what they do with the scanned license info.

Call me paranoid but I do not like the idea of someone knowing my drinking patterns

Anyone else experience this?
    Legal Reform
    Reduce the numbers of Lawyers in Public Office

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hardtop View Post
    Had some friends stop by on their way to Philly for the weekend. The hubby likes some highend imported stuff that I do not always have around. One of our local shopping centers (Drexiline in Drexilhill) has a new selection which includes building your own six packs. Sounds great Ė right? Pickup the snacks and beverage one stop. After a carful selection of 2 six packs I am asked for my driverís license while checking out. Funny at first but they wanted to scan it. I asked why - they said it was a new rule instituted by the state liquor control. I know the store manage as my son worked there in HS. I will stop by Sunday for some game time snacks and ask them what they do with the scanned license info.

Call me paranoid but I do not like the idea of someone knowing my drinking patterns

Down here we have a grocery discount card that you can tie to your email for the upcoming weekly specials. I always know what beer and what cuts of beef are going on sale...

I've never had to do that. First time I've heard someone having their DL swiped for just a purchase of alcohol.

I don't like that one bit!

][ ][ ][ %

"Riotous excursions with privileged glimpses into the human heart"
    F. Scott Fitzgerald

i wouldn't shop there if that was the case.. no reason for them to store my info so one of there 7.00 an hour emp can take it and sell my info.. let a long know when i buy and what i buy....

Wegman's does it. I've been to bars that do it, it's a way to combat fake ID's.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

The Federal Reserve is no more "Federal" than Federal Express

ďStupidity has a certain charm, ignorance does notĒ
    Frank Zappa

Stop drinkng.
    Team
    UPCHUCK
    FISHING FOR FUN
    USN Retired and loving it. [IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner.YOUR-0205B7C654/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/KAQSYMJ4/image0011[1].gif[/IMG]

Big brother and others know were you are what you do an most of the time.

Between

Mac cards- credit cards
    Cell phones
    gps
    Black boxes ?
    EZpass
    Discount cards at the supermarket ect.

It is not hard for anyone to track what you do,Technoligy has its drawbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Big brother and others know were you are what you do an most of the time.

Between

Mac cards- credit cards
    Cell phones
    gps
    Black boxes ?
    EZpass
    Discount cards at the supermarket ect.

It is not hard for anyone to track what you do,Technoligy has its drawbacks.
    Agreed but none of those goes directly to a state agency.

I do not like the idea of my info and patterns shared with anyone yet alone the state. No need to ask a 50 plus yr/old for ID yet alone to scan and store the info only to share with the state. Itís just one more data base for someone to illegally sell or personal info the Gov to have.
    Legal Reform

Quote Originally Posted by upchuck View Post
    Stop drinkng.
    Now that is just out of the question!

Wonder what would have happened if you told them you left your wallet with your license in it at home ? Would they have not sold you the beer and only the snacks ?

Agreed but none of those goes directly to a state agency.

I do not like the idea of my info and patterns shared with anyone yet alone the state. No need to ask a 50 plus yr/old for ID yet alone to scan and store the info only to share with the state. Itís just one more data base for someone to illegally sell or personal info the Gov to have.
    They aren't doing it in Philly yet. When I was on rotation last year in York one of the bars scanned my info in. I talked to the manager and was told that places who have had a history of problems with fake IDs have been asked to just scan in everyone. They told me the info does not go to the state but they keep it as a database so they can tell the liquor board exactly who was in their bar that night if there is a claim against them for fake IDs.
    LET\'S GO NOVA!<br />(c\'mon eagles)

Had that happen at a liquor store on 206 last summer. Fake ID check was all it was.
    FISH ARE FOOD... NOT FRIENDS!!
    -Andrew K
    "and its wave over wave, sea over bow Im as happy a man as the seas will allow..."

The manager told me the state required them to do it because it was a Super Market selling beer. He said the state does collect the info. He did not want to give me the name of the company who performs the service. He did say that a lot of people have been asking about it and do not like it.

Why does someone need to check (Scan) my ID at my age? I still do not like the idea of the state having my info.
    Legal Reform

went to wegmans in collegeville wednesday before thanksgiving..i wanted to buy a bottle of wine..the told me it was in the new kiosk...i found it, picked my selection, the machine scanned my i.d...credit card..i had to breathe into a breathalizer..than a voice came on and said ok you can make your selection and enjoy your thanksgiving...i was like what's up with that..a guy told me i was being monitored live from harrisburg..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The manager told me the state required them to do it because it was a Super Market selling beer. He said the state does collect the info. He did not want to give me the name of the company who performs the service. He did say that a lot of people have been asking about it and do not like it.

Why does someone need to check (Scan) my ID at my age? I still do not like the idea of the state having my info.
    not sure what you mean by the state having your info? what kind of beer or how much you drink? just curious...it can't be your personal info like age address etc....because they are the ones that issued your license...correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast