Jeep Grand Cherokee Oil Pressure Gauge

Thread: Jeep Grand Cherokee Oil Pressure Gauge

Default Jeep Grand Cherokee Oil Pressure Gauge

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I recently had the oil changed. I noticed on my trip up to the Poconos this weekend that the oil gauge appeared pinned to max at 80. It pretty much stayed there throughout the trip.

I just checked it again after it sat for a few days. Gauges on, engine not running, it read 70, engine at idle, cold, it appeared just below 80.

Manual says normal is 20-70, tolerate as low as 13. It says nothing about if it is high. I am driving her to Vermont this weekend... is this something I need to have looked at before I go? What could go wrong if the pressure is too high? Also... I have her in center city and my regular mechanic is at the Shore, so if I need to get her checked its going to be a PITA unless someone has a good rec.
    LET\'S GO NOVA!<br />(c\'mon eagles)

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

And as I have been reading, since the pressure is high and generally stays high, does it make sense that it is the sending unit? If it is the sending unit, is all that this sends to my gauge? Does the sending unit affect oil pressure to the engine in any way? If its just instrumentation, I'm not worried about it.

Dave I had to replace the sending unit on my car last Summer,I made up a new one because the location of the old one was tough to get to and my car is known for having trouble with them.

The SU is the link between your Oil Pressure and your gauge,The problem is it helps warn you if there is a real problem so it is tough to ignore.

It could just be the cold making your Oil thick or the unit is bad.They don't cost that much,But it can be tough to get to location of the SU.

Email Capt. Badfinger,I think he would have the best advice

I may just email him, good idea.

Having a "good bill of health" within the last month, do you think I can make the trip without worrying about it this week? There was NO trouble driving up and back to the poconos.

The sending unit does not control the oil pressure in any way
    The sending unit moniters the oil pressure
    You should check the wire coming off the sender to make sure it is not shorted to ground
    That would cause the gauge to read all the way up the top of the scale
    The proper way to diagnose it is to remove the sender and attach an oil pressure test guage and see what the pressure really is
    If it reads normal replace the sender
    Capt Scott Pierce Tuna Chic
    2009--2010--2012 Duke of Fluke wins 2014--2nd place

Thanks Scottie!