2005 BMW 325i wont start
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2005 BMW 325i wont start

Question 2005 BMW 325i wont start

Car won't start, turns over and doesn't start. Dealer came to the house before to look at the problem while under warranty and fixed it. Wasn't around, not sure what the fix was? Ideas? Checked all the stupid stuff.... fuel, battery charge, ground, etc... Could the key lost it's programing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

check the spark plugs.

Didn't the dealer leave some type of work sheet on the work that was done after he finished ?
    Handle every stressfulsituation like a dog.If you can't eat it or hump it.
    Piss on it and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by wired98 View Post
    Didn't the dealer leave some type of work sheet on the work that was done after he finished ?
    I don't know, it's my sister's car. This was 3 years ago when the problem happened before. She couldn't find anything and the dealer didn't tell her what they did to fix it before... I have no idea...wasn't there...

We had a BMZ X5 did the same thing When it happens you have to remove the key and let it sit then reinsert the key resets the chip in the key to brain box. The dealer could never figure it out. Wants it starts happening it will continue and could spend thousands finding the problem.The dealer says they have to reenact it to figure it out.

We traded the car!
    Currently Boatless
    Captain Don Hilaman
    USCG. 100gt Master Captain
    Coast Guard Auxiliary
    Coast Guard boat crew qualified
    Viera,Florida

The older 320 and 325's use to have this fault in the electrical system that prevented the fuel pump from working.

I fixed at least 2 of them this way...you grabbed the fuse box and wiggled it so it grounded better, then the vehicle would start.

As for any BMW or any german car, I say f them, hans, Otto, the Euro, the parts costs etc.

Buy a rice burner.

BMW = Bring More Wrenches

Did you try the spare key? If you dont have one you will need it towed to the dealer.

The Keyless Entry system utilizes antennae in the rear window, changes key codes every time, will deactivate keys if a key is pressed too many times without response from the car, the key recharges while in the ignition switch, and they store all sorts of presets, from seat positions to IHKA control settings.

Put a new battery in the key. Its inside the key. The antenna might have a bad connection also.

1. Open the car doors using the remote function of your working key.

2. Get in and close (don't lock) all the doors.

3. Put the key in the ignition and switch momentarally to position 1 which is the first position when you turn the key clockwise. This is the accessory position. Don't stay in position 1 longer than 5 seconds; then turn the key back to the off position.

4. Remove the key.

5. On the key transmitter, press and hold button 2. Press and release button 1 three times within 10 seconds while still pressing button 2.

6. release button 2.

7. The system indicates re-programming by locking and immediately unlocking the door locks.

8. If you want to do more remotes, you must do each within 30 seconds of step 7 for the preceeding key. You just need to repeat steps 5 through 7 for each key after the first.

You can knock off a dozen keys if you want in a few minutes.
    Bad times have a scientific value. These are occasions a good learner would not miss.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Re-Bait View Post
    The older 320 and 325's use to have this fault in the electrical system that prevented the fuel pump from working.

I fixed at least 2 of them this way...you grabbed the fuse box and wiggled it so it grounded better, then the vehicle would start.

As for any BMW or any german car, I say f them, hans, Otto, the Euro, the parts costs etc.

Buy a rice burner.

BMWs are junk. But, if you ever owned a Diesel Mercedes, you would change you mind.

I have had 2 cars hit over 500k before selling them or trading them in. I put about 60k-80k a year on them, and they run great with little to no work besides regular maintnence.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmillan View Post
    Did you try the spare key? If you dont have one you will need it towed to the dealer.

The Keyless Entry system utilizes antennae in the rear window, changes key codes every time, will deactivate keys if a key is pressed too many times without response from the car, the key recharges while in the ignition switch, and they store all sorts of presets, from seat positions to IHKA control settings.

Put a new battery in the key. Its inside the key. The antenna might have a bad connection also.

1. Open the car doors using the remote function of your working key.

2. Get in and close (don't lock) all the doors.

3. Put the key in the ignition and switch momentarally to position 1 which is the first position when you turn the key clockwise. This is the accessory position. Don't stay in position 1 longer than 5 seconds; then turn the key back to the off position.

4. Remove the key.

5. On the key transmitter, press and hold button 2. Press and release button 1 three times within 10 seconds while still pressing button 2.

6. release button 2.

7. The system indicates re-programming by locking and immediately unlocking the door locks.

8. If you want to do more remotes, you must do each within 30 seconds of step 7 for the preceeding key. You just need to repeat steps 5 through 7 for each key after the first.

You can knock off a dozen keys if you want in a few minutes.
    Holy Chit sounds as confusing as FM Tunas poker game

257 Grady White

171 Classic MAKO
    ]

Here is what I found on our tech support website. They had 17 confirmed fixes for the same problem.

Vehicle Application:2004 BMW 325I 2.5LCustomer Concern:Car will not start. It has no fuel pressure and no power to the fuel pump.
    Tests/Procedures:1. Test fuses F02, in the engine fuse group in the electronics box at the rear of the engine compartment, and F50, in the fuse panel on the passenger's side of the trunk. F50 should be hot all the time, and F02 should be hot with ignition on and starting.

2. Test at the fuel pump relay for constant power to terminal 30 from F50, switched power to terminal 86 from F02, and ground key on and cranking to terminal 85 from the engine control module.

3. Check continuity from terminal 87 of the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump.

4. If the previous tests come out good, and there is no power to the pump, replace the fuel pump relay.
    Potential Causes:Fuel Pump Relay
    Fuse
    Wiring

Tech Tips:The fuel pump relay is located in the fuse/relay panel ahead of the glove box, at the upper left corner.
    Diagnostic Codes:None

I have 2006 bmw 325xi, bought it new, 95k miles, not one single issue.

Supporting Vendor

Quote Originally Posted by aj bruno View Post
    Car won't start, turns over and doesn't start. Dealer came to the house before to look at the problem while under warranty and fixed it. Wasn't around, not sure what the fix was? Ideas? Checked all the stupid stuff.... fuel, battery charge, ground, etc... Could the key lost it's programing?
    Sounds like unprogrammed key to me. have you tried another key?

Thanks for the replies guys... I am 160 miles away in MD... trying to explain to my sister how to trouble shoot this... wish me luck I will let you know either way

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.