Chevy mechanics??? 2008 Colorado timing chain

Thread: Chevy mechanics??? 2008 Colorado timing chain

Default Chevy mechanics??? 2008 Colorado timing chain

Some for the second time in 12K miles, the dealership has needed to replace my timing chain. This time they tried to blame me for not doing oil changes at 3500 mile intervals. LOL I showed them receipts for Mobile one and said I change it when my truck tells me to with the Oil Life Monitor, as per YOUR service manual.

At any rate, truck has 37K miles on it.

I got it back today and the steering wheel is turned 45 degrees off center. The guy at the dealership said to call tomorrow but they would not touch the steering during a timing chain replacement and I need an alignment.

Truck tracks perfect, tires are always rotated and there is even wear. This was NOT a problem before I toook it in. I did not make it out of the parking lot before discovering the issue.

At any rate, any mechanics on here? do they need to remove the steering linkage to do the timing chain? could that throw off the position of the steering wheel without changing the alignment?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

They don't have to touch the steering at all. The steering shaft has a grove on it so if they did remove it it they would have had to install it back in the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDY L View Post
    They don't have to touch the steering at all. The steering shaft has a grove on it so if they did remove it it they would have had to install it back in the same place.

so how the heck did my wheel go 45 degrees off kilter? what could cause that?

Quote Originally Posted by MargaritaVille View Post
    so how the heck did my wheel go 45 degrees off kilter? what could cause that?
    I have no idea how that happened but they should not have touched the steering system. Maybe a loose nut behind the wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by ANDY L View Post
    I have no idea how that happened but they should not have touched the steering system. Maybe a loose nut behind the wheel?
    I have been accused of that. LOL.
    After the dealership claimed I caused the timing chain to stretch in 12K miles, I have lost confidence in them.

Not familiar with that model, but on many cars/trucks you need to drop the oil pan to remove the front timing cover. If something is in the way of the pan like the engine cradle, front diff or any suspension parts it gets unbolted and left to hang. Unbolting any of the above can throw off your alignment, but on your truck I doubt it would have been needed....
    BayRat

our colorado was a POS from day 1. broke down and left my girl stranded 5 times in the first 40,000 miles. and everytime the dealer had a different reason. they're friggen lemons. after the 5th time it broke down, we cleaned it out and drove it to the nissan dealer and traded it in. the same day we got it back from chevy. we had the onstar and called them while we were sitting in it (wouldnt start) they ran the diagnostic and said " theres nothing wrong" i was like thats funny iam on the side of the F-ing road right now, and it wont start.
    Last edited by take one; 07-12-2011 at 09:22 PM.

27 blackfin "TINA MARIE"
    250 OX66'S

Quote Originally Posted by take one View Post
    our colorado was a POS from day 1. broke down and left my girl stranded 5 times in the first 40,000 miles. and everytime the dealer had a different reason. they're friggen lemons. after the 5th time it broke down, we cleaned it out and drove it to the nissan dealer and traded it in. the same day we got it back from chevy
    Never left me stranded, but close. The check engine light is on so much, I have to wear sunglasses when I drive.

It is just about paid off, I wanted to get the wife a new car, she has a 2005, but might trade in both at the same time.

I will get a ford next.

Quote Originally Posted by BayRat View Post
    Not familiar with that model, but on many cars/trucks you need to drop the oil pan to remove the front timing cover. If something is in the way of the pan like the engine cradle, front diff or any suspension parts it gets unbolted and left to hang. Unbolting any of the above can throw off your alignment, but on your truck I doubt it would have been needed....

I believe you are correct. They have to drop the oil pan to gain access to the oil pump pickup tube (and oil pump which is attached to the cover) to remove the timing cover. To drop the oil pan, they should lower the rack and pinion assembly which requires disconnecting the steering wheel shaft ujoint from the rack. It is held on just by a pinch nut/bolt. Chances are the steering wheel or the tires where turned during the procedure and not set back to straight and true which caused the steering wheel to become off center......
    Last edited by Harlan; 07-14-2011 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan View Post
    I believe you are correct. They have to drop the oil pan to gain access to the oil pump pickup tube (and oil pump which is attached to the cover) to remove the timing cover. To drop the oil pan, they should lower the rack and pinion which requires disconnecting the steering wheel shaft ujoint from the rack. It is held on just by a pinch nut/bolt. Chances are the steering wheel or the tires where turned during the procedure and not set back to straight and true which caused the steering wheel to become off center......

THey are going to test tomorrow and then fix it

The second time in under 40k? Thats an outrage and I would be making waves with GM. Until they make it right I will never buy another GM product. I would call Don Gentilini and tell him of your problems. He has a lot to lose and nothing to gain. This post is an eye opener. And will cost dealers across this land sales. I have full confidence that he will make it right.
    Last edited by mcmillan; 07-14-2011 at 05:20 AM.
    Bad times have a scientific value. These are occasions a good learner would not miss.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

300,000 on my F250 (5.8 gas) still the orginal chain....get PFP's lemon lawyer.
    Someone did a # on you growing up and now everyone on the internet has to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmillan View Post
    The second time in under 40k? Thats an outrage and I would be making waves with GM. Until they make it right I will never buy another GM product. I would call Don Gentilini and tell him of your problems. He has a lot to lose and nothing to gain. This post is an eye opener. And will cost dealers across this land sales. I have full confidence that he will make it right.

FIRST, This has NOTHING TO DO WITH GENTILINI. They are good people, Dealt with them years ago, but not for this transaction.

The dealership fixed the chain under warranty, and took care of the steering. 2 chains does make it seem strange that maybe there is a bigger problem.

When I get back from Vaca, I plan to start some leg work just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by MargaritaVille View Post
    FIRST, This has NOTHING TO DO WITH GENTILINI. They are good people, Dealt with them years ago, but not for this transaction.

The dealership fixed the chain under warranty, and took care of the steering. 2 chains does make it seem strange that maybe there is a bigger problem.

When I get back from Vaca, I plan to start some leg work just to be safe.
    My wording was mixed up I actually meant that YOU had nothing to lose. I never implied that you bought from them. I just know he is a straight shooter and knows how to make things right.
    Bad times have a scientific value. These are occasions a good learner would not miss.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson