Rogue waves hitting our east coast ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rogue waves hitting our east coast ?

Default Rogue waves hitting our east coast ?

Some of these are interesting - the 1938 waves had to be caused by the Great Hurricane that hit Long Island:

November 14, 1840 - Delaware River: referred to as “The Great Swell on the Delaware River”

• January 9, 1926 – Maine: No one was injured, but “monster waves” hurled 50 fishing boats ashore and washed thousands of flounder from their winter beds in the Harbor bottom mud”.

• Aug 19, 1931 Atlantic City, NJ 3 Dead

• Sep 21, 1938 New Jersey coast Scores injured, some seriously

• Jul 3-4, 1992 Daytona Beach, FL 75 injured - this one I remember. Calm moon lit night, people on the beach saw a huge wave coming in and started running away. Incredibly, no one killed.....cars tossed around. Likely caused by off shore ocean floor upheaval.

The biggest risk to the east coast is associated with giant landslide somewhere close to Africa. Estimated to throw a 300' wave......that would be hard to handle. Do a quick check - you'll find the reference.
    Bennett Greene

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Many believe a mega tsunami will be caused when half of the island if La Palma in the Canary Islands slides into the ocean. A volcano will erupt( I forget the name of it) causing the island to basically split in half causing the tsunami to race across the Atlantic and decimate the east coast of the US.
    We shall see

Quote Originally Posted by markushook View Post
    Many believe a mega tsunami will be caused when half of the island if La Palma in the Canary Islands slides into the ocean. A volcano will erupt( I forget the name of it) causing the island to basically split in half causing the tsunami to race across the Atlantic and decimate the east coast of the US.
    We shall see

do you plan to live another 10,000 years?

Tsunami scenarios
    In a BBC Horizon programme broadcast on October 12, 2000, two geologists (Day and McGuire) cited this rift as proof that half of the Cumbre Vieja had slipped towards the Atlantic Ocean (Day et al., 1999; Ward and Day, 2001). They suggested that this process was driven by the pressure caused by the rising magma heating water trapped within the structure of the island. They hypothesised that during a future eruption, the western flank of the Cumbre Vieja, with a mass of approximately 1.5 x1015 kg, could slide into the ocean. This could then potentially generate a giant wave which they termed a "megatsunami" around 650–900 m high in the region of the islands. The wave would radiate out across the Atlantic and inundate the eastern seaboard of North America including the American, the Caribbean and northern coasts of South America some six to eight hours later. They estimate that the tsunami will have waves possibly 160 ft (49 m) or higher causing massive devastation along the coastlines. Modelling suggests that the tsunami could inundate up to 25 km (16 mi) inland - depending upon topography. The basis for Ward and Day (1999) modelling the collapse of a much larger portion of the western flank than the currently visible surface fissures suggest is unstable, was based on geological mapping by Day et al. 1999. In this paper they argue that a large part of the western flank has been constructed in the scar of a previous collapse and therefore sits upon unstable debris.
    The claim also was explored in a BBC docu-drama called End Day which went through several hypothetical scenarios of disastrous proportions.
    However, the Tsunami Society (Pararas-Carayannis, 2002), published a statement stating "... We would like to halt the scaremongering from these unfounded reports..." The major points raised in this report include:
    The claim that half of Cumbre Vieja dropped 4 m during the 1949 eruption is erroneous, and contradicted by physical evidence.
    No evidence was sought or shown that there is a fault line separating a "block" of La Palma from the other half.
    Physical evidence shows a 4 km long line in the rock, but the models assumed a 25 km (16 mi) line, for which no physical evidence was given. Further, there is no evidence shown that the 4 km long line extends beyond the surface.
    There has never been an Atlantic megatsunami in recorded history.
    In 2006 professor Jan Nieuwenhuis of Delft University of Technology simulated several volcanic eruptions and calculated it would take another 10,000 years for the flanks to become sufficiently high and unstable to cause a massive collapse.[4]
    An underwater volcano that began in September 2011 south of the island gave rise to more speculation about the possibility of a megatsunami.[5][6]
    I'm in your slick!

Quote Originally Posted by reelintime View Post
    do you plan to live another 10,000 years?

Tsunami scenarios
    In a BBC Horizon programme broadcast on October 12, 2000, two geologists (Day and McGuire) cited this rift as proof that half of the Cumbre Vieja had slipped towards the Atlantic Ocean (Day et al., 1999; Ward and Day, 2001). They suggested that this process was driven by the pressure caused by the rising magma heating water trapped within the structure of the island. They hypothesised that during a future eruption, the western flank of the Cumbre Vieja, with a mass of approximately 1.5 x1015 kg, could slide into the ocean. This could then potentially generate a giant wave which they termed a "megatsunami" around 650–900 m high in the region of the islands. The wave would radiate out across the Atlantic and inundate the eastern seaboard of North America including the American, the Caribbean and northern coasts of South America some six to eight hours later. They estimate that the tsunami will have waves possibly 160 ft (49 m) or higher causing massive devastation along the coastlines. Modelling suggests that the tsunami could inundate up to 25 km (16 mi) inland - depending upon topography. The basis for Ward and Day (1999) modelling the collapse of a much larger portion of the western flank than the currently visible surface fissures suggest is unstable, was based on geological mapping by Day et al. 1999. In this paper they argue that a large part of the western flank has been constructed in the scar of a previous collapse and therefore sits upon unstable debris.
    The claim also was explored in a BBC docu-drama called End Day which went through several hypothetical scenarios of disastrous proportions.
    However, the Tsunami Society (Pararas-Carayannis, 2002), published a statement stating "... We would like to halt the scaremongering from these unfounded reports..." The major points raised in this report include:
    The claim that half of Cumbre Vieja dropped 4 m during the 1949 eruption is erroneous, and contradicted by physical evidence.
    No evidence was sought or shown that there is a fault line separating a "block" of La Palma from the other half.
    Physical evidence shows a 4 km long line in the rock, but the models assumed a 25 km (16 mi) line, for which no physical evidence was given. Further, there is no evidence shown that the 4 km long line extends beyond the surface.
    There has never been an Atlantic megatsunami in recorded history.
    In 2006 professor Jan Nieuwenhuis of Delft University of Technology simulated several volcanic eruptions and calculated it would take another 10,000 years for the flanks to become sufficiently high and unstable to cause a massive collapse.[4]
    An underwater volcano that began in September 2011 south of the island gave rise to more speculation about the possibility of a megatsunami.[5][6]
    No I don't. I was going off memory. I said it is believed that at some point it will happen. I have no idea when it will happen, if it happens. If humans are still here when it happens, we shall see

if it does come my bertram is ready Not scared......
    I'm in your slick!

Would you drop your 500 dollar rod and reel on the beach and run if the surf went out and kept going ?
    Live 2 Fish
    <><
    Forced 2 Work

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Lamberty View Post
    Would you drop your 500 dollar rod and reel on the beach and run if the surf went out and kept going ?

Not an issue for me - I use Ugly Sticks - generally well under $ 50.

A 150' -300' wave ? Good luck.
    Bennett Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Lamberty View Post
    I don't think the rod and reel would slow me down, the tackle would stay there. But then again you're most likely a gonner anyway.
    For those who talk of freedom and rights remember those who make sure you have them.

We should be about due for another.
    For you guys saying your going to run. Where? If you run all the way back to Vineland your still only 90' above sea level. A 100' wave would wash all the way across the Cape May peninsula.
    So that the record of history is absolutely crystal clear. That there is no alternative way, so far discovered, of improving the lot of the ordinary people that can hold a candle to the productive activities that are unleashed by a free enterprise system.
    Milton Friedman

if a 300 - 500 foot wave was to hit NJ what would the new beachfront property be? or would the water just receid after the wave? and I hope my Ins cover tidal waves

rob

Quote Originally Posted by What the Puck View Post
    if a 300 - 500 foot wave was to hit NJ what would the new beachfront property be? or would the water just receid after the wave? and I hope my Ins cover tidal waves
    the water would recede but part of Monmouth Beach and all of Sea Bright would be 100% gone.

edit: many other places too... those 2 just came to mind for some reason
    "Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power." -- Ben Franklin

------------

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hammer View Post
    I don't think the rod and reel would slow me down, the tackle would stay there. But then again you're most likely a gonner anyway.
    I'd call my wife and tell her I won't be home tonight,and then go look for all those plugs I lost to the jetties I fish, when the waves come I'll make my peace and watch the amazing power of Mother Earth from my front row seat !
    Live 2 Fish
    <><
    Forced 2 Work

I'm glad I'll be safe here in WEST WILDWOOD! They just raised my sidewalk 5 inches so we're practically flood proof now!!!!!
    West Wildwood - Where every home is waterfront..... sometimes!

TEAM SCRAPPLE

PROUD MEMBER OF THE ANCIENT MARINERS!

RY - Really missing you

Quote Originally Posted by What the Puck View Post
    New beachfront would be Manayunk

C-Hawk 16 CC, 60 Yamaha, Hobie Mirage Sport

I don't always know what I want, but I usually know what I don't want.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bgreene View Post
    Some of these are interesting - the 1938 waves had to be caused by the Great Hurricane that hit Long Island:

November 14, 1840 - Delaware River: referred to as “The Great Swell on the Delaware River”

• January 9, 1926 – Maine: No one was injured, but “monster waves” hurled 50 fishing boats ashore and washed thousands of flounder from their winter beds in the Harbor bottom mud”.

• Aug 19, 1931 Atlantic City, NJ 3 Dead

• Sep 21, 1938 New Jersey coast Scores injured, some seriously

• Jul 3-4, 1992 Daytona Beach, FL 75 injured - this one I remember. Calm moon lit night, people on the beach saw a huge wave coming in and started running away. Incredibly, no one killed.....cars tossed around. Likely caused by off shore ocean floor upheaval.

The biggest risk to the east coast is associated with giant landslide somewhere close to Africa. Estimated to throw a 300' wave......that would be hard to handle. Do a quick check - you'll find the reference.
    A major tsumani will be rolling into the East Coast on November 6, 2012. It is when the stink of hussien obama gets washed out to sea....... and Mitt Romney rides the tide into the White House

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.