Raising a house that's already on pilings?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raising a house that's already on pilings?

Default Raising a house that's already on pilings?

Our house in NWW is built on pilings which elevate it about 4 feet above the top of our bulkhead. When the water came over during the storm it wet the bottom of the house underneath, just some insulation damage etc. Nothing major, and no water inside.
    My question is how feasible would it be to raise the house up and extend the pilings another 3 feet or so? Maybe collar the new pilings to the existing pilings? Just want to take a precaution against future big storms. Is this done? Does it make sense? Just an idea....
    "SALTY DOGS" singer and guitarist.
    (Classic Rock Band available for Your Events.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

thats simple just pick the house off the piling its on now and set it off to the side then drive longer ones and just put the house back up on top...simple....

Yes, it can and has been done. there are different ways to do it, but basically the house is jacked up as though it were to be moved, and the pilings can be extended, or the house can be moved temporarilly to the side for complete replacement of the pilings. (My recommendation).
    "All fishermen are liars! Except for BassBarn members and me....and I'm not so sure about some of them Barners!!"
    "Of all the things I've ever lost...I miss my mind the most."

MEMBER # 63

IN Lousiana after Katrina on the big lake (can't spell the name) they raise almost all the house on the LAKE Block to 10-12ft . You may want to google and see how it was done
    BUCKTAIL WILLIE<br /> fishologist and master tagger A FISH IS TOO VALUABLE TO CATCH JUST ONCE MEMBER RFA,,ALS,NAFC, IGFA,,Stripers Forever ,SFEC ,Tri-State Ang. recipent of Sagamore of the Wabash (IN)
    a skillful angler must be full of humble thoughts NEW MEMBER of Ancient Mariners

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKTAIL WILLIE View Post
    IN Lousiana after Katrina on the big lake (can't spell the name) they raise almost all the house on the LAKE Block to 10-12ft . You may want to google and see how it was done
    lake pontchartrain
    You can observe a lot by just watching.
    - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by native son View Post
    thats simple just pick the house off the piling its on now and set it off to the side then drive longer ones and just put the house back up on top...simple....
    i was kidding....not in any way shape or form simple and very very costly...

Wait for high tide.

How I spend my Sunday's
    My Son the next John Force

N.J. Building code no longer allows pilings to be spliced that support structures. So yes you would have to drive new pilings. Very costly but also very easy for a Co.with the proper skills and equipment.

A few years ago someone near me did it and i heard it was over 40 grand to move the house put the new big polls in and move it back and correct some of the problems that it causes--not major.
    BERN COMEBACK THE SOX WILL STILL WIN IT

Could you check with the local authorities to see if you could cribbing of 6x6 or 12x12 built off the existing supports kind of like a log cabin ?
    Handle every stressfulsituation like a dog.If you can't eat it or hump it.
    Piss on it and walk away.

The best way as stated is with new pilings Had your house been spliced before it very well could come off the foundation next time We do splices on rotted pilings sometimes and is typically called a "cap" job but not on a entire house if you ever wanna get insurance that is
    Good luck
    Buterick Bulkheading
    Dealer of Hi-Tide Boatlifts
    Bulkheads, Docks, House Pilings, and Boat Lifts
    609-597-8426
    e-mail: Buterickbulkheading@comcast.net or
    Fsoper@comcast.net

My house is a block foundation. Typical early 60s split level. How big of a deal would it be to raise the house 4 or 5 rows of block? Had 41" in the house this storm and have had water inside a half dozen times over the past 15 years. House is pretty much wrecked this time. Still waiting for insurance adjusters to come out.

Had plans drawn up this past spring to do the same thing. Basically they called for raising the house, cutting the pilings below grade, then pouring a grade beam and building walls on that. We were supposed to begin around 11/1, but Sandy had other plans.

Default Raising homes on existing pilings

We have just put onto the market a system to raise houses on existing pilings, see www.compositestructural.com The system is way stronger then any alternative and is cheaper and faster than any acceptable method. This system works in the vast majority of the installation conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaler13 View Post
    Our house in NWW is built on pilings which elevate it about 4 feet above the top of our bulkhead. When the water came over during the storm it wet the bottom of the house underneath, just some insulation damage etc. Nothing major, and no water inside.
    My question is how feasible would it be to raise the house up and extend the pilings another 3 feet or so? Maybe collar the new pilings to the existing pilings? Just want to take a precaution against future big storms. Is this done? Does it make sense? Just an idea....

Be very wary of this alternate, it provides very limited lateral support to hold the house up to wind sheer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast