Officially Started Metal Detecting Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Officially Started Metal Detecting Today

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    522

    Default Officially Started Metal Detecting Today

    I received my MD and accessories from Amazon.com on Thursday, studied my machine on Thursday and Friday, played around in my yard, and did research on my first target grounds. I am now officially discouraged.

    Using HistoricAerials.com I came across an old farmhouse on Little Mill Road in Gloucester Twp. The house was there as early as 1932, probably much longer. As I am sure many of you know, the whole area is a wooded / dirt bike / party area and has been for 30 years. Well, I was kicked out for being on private property. All I was getting was beer can after bottlecap, after beer can, after bottle cap anyway... so I moved on to my secondary target which I didn't have too much hope in...

    It is an old Nike Base behind Lilley School. I thought I might be able to get in there somewhere, but the whole place is still totally fenced in. So I just searched the wooded area a while. Bottle caps and cans again.....

    So I say screw this, I'm gonna detect the extreme outskirts of the schools field. Finally some good results. No junk targets and all my digs were successful with coins. I was only able to dig 4 targets before I had to get out of the pouring rain. As I'm driving away, a policeman is exiting his car and giving me the stink eye. I drove away slowly and he didn't flag me down or anything, but I'm sure he would have been kicking me out if I had stayed any longer.

    So long story short. This was a pretty discouraging first day out detecting. I suppose the only thing I can do is try to get permission on private property, as public lands seem to be akin to garbage dumps. Anyone want me to detect their property? You keep any jewelry, I keep coins? I've got good tools to cut out plugs and put'em back in. You won't even know I was there.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Laurel
    Posts
    9,230

    Default

    At least you tried. Everyone has to go through a learning curve when starting out. It doesn't matter if it is fishing, hunting, or metal detecting. Keep at it and you will be rewarded. (or arrested)

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Galloway, NJ
    Posts
    2,383

    Default

    With as much sand that Sandy moved I would think any beach would be a great place to explore on the second day out

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    28,977

    Default

    little bit of fishing goes on behind the old base
    little mill was my stomping grounds.when pine hill gave up the deed to the state that was the beginning of the end.
    too many law suits filed against pine hill from the drunks getting hurt back there.
    we rode bikes. drove dune buggies.4 wheelers. had tons of fun back there.
    we even used to sled down ski mountain way back when.
    before that was the old mikes zoo.

    there is a guy on craigs list asking to detect on peoples property.
    good luck in your new hobby.
    go to west cloverdale ave and enter the woods there. you will hit the fence line for the golf course but still room to detect.
    back in the fifties or do that area was a swim resort for the locals and people from philly who had summer homes in pine hill.
    email me if you want better direction.
    i also have a book written and published by a cousin on the past of pine hill.
    Last edited by phish4fun; 12-29-2012 at 10:22 PM.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Absecon_bass View Post
    With as much sand that Sandy moved I would think any beach would be a great place to explore on the second day out
    I'm planning to do some beach hunting, but while starting a new hobby that supposed to pay for itself, I don't want to start making 80-100 mile round trips to the beach with gas prices they way they are. If that turns out to be the best option, I'm game.

    Quote Originally Posted by phish4fun View Post
    little bit of fishing goes on behind the old base
    Thanks for the tips. I know that quarry well. I fished it for a few years until my dad bought a house right next door in Cobblestone. He's got a boat tied up to his dock, so now when I fish fresh, I fish there. 15 fish/hour is not all that uncommon. The problem is getting the big ones. I haven't caught anything over 4.25 lbs yet and have picked through at least a thousand fish. Hopefully in time, both of the quarries start producing bigger fish (like Penbryn, a much older quarry).

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Escaped to SW Florida
    Posts
    7,767

    Default

    Since you're in that area, try around Lake Worth in Clementon, on New Freedom Rd near rt 30. It was a swimming lake over 50 years ago. I've found hundreds of silver coins there in very little time, I probably left ya a few . If you find where the snack bar once stood you'll find the coins (black nails from the burnt old shacks gives you clues as to where you are). It IS LITTERED with buried trash, so you'll have to learn how to use your discrimination settings. Disc out nickel so you don't hear every soda pull tab...disc'ing out nickel we keep you from finding gold, but sometimes you have no choice. I never got around to hunting in the water, so if your detector's coil is waterproof and you don't mind wading out a bit I bet you will find plenty of good stuff from the swimmers of the 50's.

    I haven't been there in a few years but never had any trouble. Bring your bass rod too.

    Half the fun of MD'ing is finding the spots...but chances are someone found those spots before you. If you are lucky enough to find a virgin spot you can do very, very well.

    Bring a trash bag wherever you go. If a cop shows up you will look a whole lot better in his eyes if you are picking up all the trash you dig.
    BayRat

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Skippack, PA
    Posts
    23,655

    Default

    If you looked at it as a fun hobby instead of a way to make money, it'll be a lot more enjoyable..I took mine to the beach while fishing in Delaware..All I found was a 1988 quarter but it was a stroll on the beach..Have fun with it..
    "We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

    "Good thing for them you are here as the voice of reason." - Hardtop

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Winslow NJ
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BayRat View Post
    Since you're in that area, try around Lake Worth in Clementon, on New Freedom Rd near rt 30. It was a swimming lake over 50 years ago. I've found hundreds of silver coins there in very little time, I probably left ya a few . If you find where the snack bar once stood you'll find the coins (black nails from the burnt old shacks gives you clues as to where you are). It IS LITTERED with buried trash, so you'll have to learn how to use your discrimination settings. Disc out nickel so you don't hear every soda pull tab...disc'ing out nickel we keep you from finding gold, but sometimes you have no choice. I never got around to hunting in the water, so if your detector's coil is waterproof and you don't mind wading out a bit I bet you will find plenty of good stuff from the swimmers of the 50's.

    I haven't been there in a few years but never had any trouble. Bring your bass rod too.

    Half the fun of MD'ing is finding the spots...but chances are someone found those spots before you. If you are lucky enough to find a virgin spot you can do very, very well.

    Bring a trash bag wherever you go. If a cop shows up you will look a whole lot better in his eyes if you are picking up all the trash you dig.
    Spot burn!!! but anyway why do cops care about metal detecting? It seems to be frowned on quite a bit here and there. Why?

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    lumberton
    Posts
    11,000

    Default

    Try any old corner Huckster stands or drive in Ice cream stands.I know of a few in NJ if you live or close.

    How I spend my Sunday's
    My Son the next John Force

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    28,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by surfnturf View Post
    Spot burn!!! but anyway why do cops care about metal detecting? It seems to be frowned on quite a bit here and there. Why?
    tress passing is the issue
    if the locals dont know about lake worth and stellas and the old base too bad for them.........lol.is the vo tec school lake a burn......lol

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Woolwich
    Posts
    768

    Default

    I was reading up about trying some MD myself. Old homes (100 +) with large trees in the yard - try around the trees. In the old days there was no air conditioning so family gatherings would be out under the trees for shade.

    I was also eyeballing some sj historical sites - weymouth furnace and some basto/wharton state forest locations. Old iron works etc. I dont know what the state says about MD on state grounds? Have fun!

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Escaped NJ! Thawing out in Florida
    Posts
    13,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet1 View Post
    I was reading up about trying some MD myself. Old homes (100 +) with large trees in the yard - try around the trees. In the old days there was no air conditioning so family gatherings would be out under the trees for shade.

    I was also eyeballing some sj historical sites - weymouth furnace and some basto/wharton state forest locations. Old iron works etc. I dont know what the state says about MD on state grounds? Have fun!
    On the signs back there is says metal detecting requires a permit

    Maybe check in with the Ranger Station by Atsion Lake
    So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    28,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet1 View Post
    I was reading up about trying some MD myself. Old homes (100 +) with large trees in the yard - try around the trees. In the old days there was no air conditioning so family gatherings would be out under the trees for shade.

    I was also eyeballing some sj historical sites - weymouth furnace and some basto/wharton state forest locations. Old iron works etc. I dont know what the state says about MD on state grounds? Have fun!
    you can go right across 206 at the damn at atzion lake.
    lots of old cannon ball types of material there.

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Franklinville
    Posts
    1,607

    Default

    I occasionally pass a place called the Weymouth Furnace on Elwood Rd. near the 322 intersection. Looks accessible and a good place to explore.
    Last edited by mako6950; 01-06-2013 at 07:23 PM.


    C-Hawk 16 CC, 60 Yamaha, Hobie Mirage Sport

    I don't always know what I want, but I usually know what I don't want.

  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    lumberton
    Posts
    11,000

    Default

    Medford lakes road and route 206.There is an old delapadated icecream stand that is on the corner.Always thought there would be some silver coins in there if someone took the time to MD it.

    How I spend my Sunday's
    My Son the next John Force

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •