Diesel Car for long commute?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Car for long commute?

Question Diesel Car for long commute?

I'll be in the market for a new car in the summer and I've been researching different vehicles from Fun to Drive to economical. I'll be moving as well and my commute will go from 5 miles to 40 one way. I'm looking at different models, the Subaru WRX is a pretty big package for less than 30(Fun to Drive). For the same price I can get a decked out Golf TDI diesel(Economical). I've been doing some research on the diesel motors and find them interesting. Whatever car I choose I plan on keeping for a Very long time.(not limited to these two models, just comparing two very similar yet very different vehicles) Anyone own a VW diesel or any other diesel car that can provide some input? Do you enjoy the car? Any thoughts on diesel vs gasoline and future pricing? Just throwing it out there, the diesel crowd has a solid following so I'm looking for some real world experience and opinions. I'm looking at the tea leaves and I'm thinking a diesel car might pay off in the end game if I do my part. MPG is pretty impressive in these diesels and they can run on a variety of fuels.

Dirty
    If I'm not Fishing... I'm Thinking about Fishing

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I've never done a car based comparison, but have done pickups. Between the added initial cost of $7500.00 and the added cost per gallon for diesel it didn't make sense for me. I think maintenence is about the same over the long run.
    Viper 2160 Suzuki 225

Th VW diesels have been the choice commuter car for years, often going well over 500k on the od at close to 50mpg. If I was buying a commuter car it would be my first choice.
    So that the record of history is absolutely crystal clear. That there is no alternative way, so far discovered, of improving the lot of the ordinary people that can hold a candle to the productive activities that are unleashed by a free enterprise system.
    Milton Friedman

I just picked up my 2013 WRX STI on Saturday. Fun to drive does not even begin to sum up this car. I got it in New Hampshire and made the long ride back to bucks county and was able to manage 25.5 MPG. Not the best gas mileage but you need to consider its over 300hp and AWD. AWD was a big bonus when I was choosing a car since I don't need to worry about getting stuck at work because of bad snow. Just something to think about
    24' Hydra Sports Vector CC

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Rotten View Post
    I'll be in the market for a new car in the summer and I've been researching different vehicles from Fun to Drive to economical. I'll be moving as well and my commute will go from 5 miles to 40 one way. I'm looking at different models, the Subaru WRX is a pretty big package for less than 30(Fun to Drive). For the same price I can get a decked out Golf TDI diesel(Economical). I've been doing some research on the diesel motors and find them interesting. Whatever car I choose I plan on keeping for a Very long time.(not limited to these two models, just comparing two very similar yet very different vehicles) Anyone own a VW diesel or any other diesel car that can provide some input? Do you enjoy the car? Any thoughts on diesel vs gasoline and future pricing? Just throwing it out there, the diesel crowd has a solid following so I'm looking for some real world experience and opinions. I'm looking at the tea leaves and I'm thinking a diesel car might pay off in the end game if I do my part. MPG is pretty impressive in these diesels and they can run on a variety of fuels.

Dirty
    just my 2 cents, got a passat tdi last year we ,I drove up to newport RI this week end stayed around 65 mph or less ,except to pass ,both ways and we got 50 mpg on that trip ,the 2.0 turbo diesel is unreal ....now she ,the wife, has a short commute to work less then 2 miles ....fills the tank and drives for 3 weeks near 30 mpg city ,so if your going to be going 40 miles a day ,you can tweek the mileage ,staying at a lower speed .....or if you get the golf tdi with a 6 speed manual trans. you can really tweek the mpg
    Last edited by rfanow; 02-21-2013 at 07:24 AM.

If you are like me and like your cars a bit more roomier than a sub compact, Look at the new Challengers with the 3.6. I picked up a '12 SXT+ this spring for a touch over 27k. It has 305 hp, goes around turns like a rabbit in tennis shoes, has tons of room inside, a trunk big enough to carry several bodies and can knock down 28-30mpg on the highway. I drive about 45 miles each way to work and back (12 miles stop and go and 33 miles on 95) and average 25 mpg. When I'm over in Jersey on those flat 2 lane 50 mph roads, with my cruise set about 52 or so, that thing gets around 32-34 mpg! Not to mention that it can embarrass stock 3rd and 4th generation Mustang GTs.

Quote Originally Posted by naytep View Post
    Th VW diesels have been the choice commuter car for years, often going well over 500k on the od at close to 50mpg. If I was buying a commuter car it would be my first choice.
    Same here......what he said........VW TDI for sure!
    16' Lowe Sea Nymph Bass Boat
    GO PHILLIES

If your looking to get gas mileage nothing beats a 2000-2003 vw tdi... 50 mpg no problem.. 700 miles on a 15 gallon tank... Things run like a top....

I drive 40 miles one way to work. A trip to the boat is about 85 miles one way. So a diesel made good sense to me.
    Picked up a 2010 Jetta sportswagon TDI & I have no regrets. The 10K option for a diesel only makes sense if you are a high mileage driver.
    I average about 30k miles per year.
    Gone are the days of the loud stinky diesels. This car is quiet & with the turbo option - life is good!
    Around town I get about 33 MPG, but her sweet spot is between 45-55 MPH. If I stay in this range I've hit my best mileage (51.7 MPG). A 14.5 gallon tank will get you about 600 miles on a tankfull. Around 70 MPH and your mileage drops off to about 38 MPG.
    I've had the car for over 3 years & no problems at all. 10K service intervals cost me about $150 which includes an oil change.
    I've heard complaints about old VW broken timing chains, but it you stick with scheduled maaintenance I believe that the timing chain is replaced at 100K miles.
    I went with the wagon because I needed the extra room for fishing equipment. I use to have a 2WD explorer & this VW cut my consuption in half. I went from 20 MPG to 40 (easily). I'm still in love with the car & wouldn't even consider trading in until this has square wheels! I'm looking to hold onto this car for at leat 10 years which would equate to about 300K miles.
    The return on investment might not be there for a low mileage tow vehicle, but then consider having 2 vehicles. The vehicle was purchase with all the bells & whistles at $30K. If the vehicle lasts 10 years with normal maintenence it costs me about 3K per year + I burn about half the gas as the explorer. Diesel on average is about .30 more than gas.

DoubleG
    GNeuberger@verizon.net
    255 Steiger Craft
    Bree-Zee-Lee Marina
    Dock G

You can have both a fun car and a diesel. Check out the new 3 series BMWs with the diesel engine.

I vote diesel for anyone who puts alot of miles on a car and plans to keep it. Diesels are just made to run, its that simple.

From a financial standpoint its a different story. Consider an additional $7500 for the diesel, and its more expenive per gallon at the pump, it would take a longgg time and alot of miles to make that up.

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO REELALITY View Post
    I vote diesel for anyone who puts alot of miles on a car and plans to keep it. Diesels are just made to run, its that simple.

From a financial standpoint its a different story. Consider an additional $7500 for the diesel, and its more expenive per gallon at the pump, it would take a longgg time and alot of miles to make that up.
    Depends on the vehicle... for example... on the vw jetta the deisel upgrade is only 3000k ... plus you get some of that back in residual...

One thing for sure, you need to log some miles.... I have put 50k on mine in the last 2 years... 50 mpg... good deal

Many many moons ago I had a VW Rabbit Diesel. It was a great little car. Back then diesel cost significantly less than gasoline (AS IT SHOULD!). It cost next to nothing to run and went forever on a tank of fuel.

What made me get rid of it was we had an extremely cold winter back in 1993 or 1994 and there were mornings where it was so cold the fuel was gelled and I couldn't get it to start so I could get to work. Bottom line if it got down into single digits at night the car would not start in the morning. After missing a couple of days of work I had to buy another car. Sold it to a relative who drove that thing till it had over 200,000 miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SurfDuffer View Post
    Many many moons ago I had a VW Rabbit Diesel. It was a great little car. Back then diesel cost significantly less than gasoline (AS IT SHOULD!). It cost next to nothing to run and went forever on a tank of fuel.

What made me get rid of it was we had an extremely cold winter back in 1993 or 1994 and there were mornings where it was so cold the fuel was gelled and I couldn't get it to start so I could get to work. Bottom line if it got down into single digits at night the car would not start in the morning. After missing a couple of days of work I had to buy another car. Sold it to a relative who drove that thing till it had over 200,000 miles on it.
    The new vw's have the tdi....turbo direct injection and are much more sophisticated than back in the day. More reliable, easier cold starting etc.

Quote Originally Posted by aj bruno View Post
    The new vw's have the tdi....turbo direct injection and are much more sophisticated than back in the day. More reliable, easier cold starting etc.
    for the little 2.0 tdi turbo I have in the passat .....the low end on this car is incredible.....ton of torque ,funny thing is 2.0 is the smallest allowed in the usa ,vw makes 1.8 and 1.6 overseas http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...e-u-s-wont-get

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.