Need to get rid of 1 dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to get rid of 1 dog

Default Need to get rid of 1 dog

I have a 2y/o Great Dane (Fawnequin colored) I listed on BB and other sites. He is great with people and kids. He is not good to live with other dogs, never a problem with dogs at groomer or kennel. Intact, papered, healthy, and a great companion. Not a show dog do to color.
    I also have a 2y/o Yellow Lab, good pedigree, also intact, eyes, hips good, professionally trained, he is currently with On Command until the end of the month. The 2 dogs cant be together. I will give the Great Dane to a good home with a fenced yard were he will receive the love he deserves. I will take $900 for the Lab.
    Both dogs are great pets who have been raised with my family. I love them both, they do not like each other at all. If you or someone you know may be interested in either please PM me.
    So that the record of history is absolutely crystal clear. That there is no alternative way, so far discovered, of improving the lot of the ordinary people that can hold a candle to the productive activities that are unleashed by a free enterprise system.
    Milton Friedman

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Getting him fixed would help big time..Contact Mid Atlantic Great Dane Rescue.They'll help you out..That's where we got our last two...

Anyone looking for a great dog, take him up on the free offer..such awesome dogs..
    "We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

"Good thing for them you are here as the voice of reason." - Hardtop

Thanks for the bump RJG. He really is a great family dog, just cant be with other dogs. If anyone has a little more knowledge on getting him fixed and what I can expect in behavior I would love to hear it.
    So that the record of history is absolutely crystal clear. That there is no alternative way, so far discovered, of improving the lot of the ordinary people that can hold a candle to the productive activities that are unleashed by a free enterprise system.
    Milton Friedman

I'll bump this all day..
    "We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

2 unneutered male dogs of the same age and they don't get along. What a shock.

The more two dogs have in common the worse they are going to get along since they are always going to be trying to establish dominance.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

The Federal Reserve is no more "Federal" than Federal Express

“Stupidity has a certain charm, ignorance does not”
    Frank Zappa

Agreed...Also, neutered dogs live on an average 3 years longer that an intact dog..With a Dane, that's forever..

After we neutered our last dane he became aggressive. I have been scared to have this one done. Not to mention I never wanted 2 dogs, It was kind of forced on me.
    Milton Friedman

I can't say anything about the Dane because I haven't seen him but the lab (Newt) would make a great companion and or hunting dog for someone. I have had him with me for the last month. He's a great boy. Knows all his basic obedience and is conditioned for the e-collar. Very happy, energetic boy.

And BTW two male dogs, same age or not, neutered or not can get along just fine, unless one happens to be disposed to fighting.

I have a female lab that will light up on another dog if it approaches her food, not so with humans and ambivalent to other dogs in normal settings. Just feed her in her crate and life is good

Sometimes they have had an early life experience that pre-disposes certain behaviors.
    Last edited by Darrin G. DGREENEMACHINE; 04-28-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Darrin--

Literally just moved to Woolwich today.

Any dog parks around?

My fiance and I wish we had seen this post earlier. That day before it was originally posted, we put a deposit on a golden retriever. The lab would have been perfect :-(
    LET\'S GO NOVA!<br />(c\'mon eagles)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reel View Post
    Darrin--

Literally just moved to Woolwich today.

Any dog parks around?

My fiance and I wish we had seen this post earlier. That day before it was originally posted, we put a deposit on a golden retriever. The lab would have been perfect :-(
    Dog park is on High Hill road just off route 130. Google map Dream Park Gloucester County or look on the county website for directions.

Welcome to the area!

Anybody looking for a great family dog should consider the Great Dane. We're on our second Dane and I wouldn't want any other breed after years with these dogs. They're really good around kids and just love people in general. They act real protective but that's just a front, all bark. They were both good with other dogs but the one we have now always wants to be the dominant one even though she's very playful.

Quote Originally Posted by sjef View Post
    Anybody looking for a great family dog should consider the Great Dane. We're on our second Dane and I wouldn't want any other breed after years with these dogs. They're really good around kids and just love people in general. They act real protective but that's just a front, all bark. They were both good with other dogs but the one we have now always wants to be the dominant one even though she's very playful.
    Newt (Lab) was in the dominant role. Quinn (Dane) was introduced. I think this is where the issue came from. Both dogs are terrific one on one with people. If I had them both together as puppies this may not be an issue.
    Milton Friedman

As a bit of an update. Newt (Lab) has moved on to a new home. Great dog who got a great new owner. At least I still have the Quinn (dane).

Newt always kept his eye on the steak.
    Milton Friedman

Yes I was sad to see him go but it seems like he's headed to a nice new place John, so don't feel terrible about it. The gentleman who has him seems as though he will take great care of him... Rode him home on the front seat of the truck...

Darren I cant thank you enough. You did a great job training and really went far beyond what you needed to with relocating Newt.
    Let me know when your for those hitching posts.
    Anyone who is considering professional training. Give Darren a shot. Truly a stand up guy who will work with you and your dog.
    Milton Friedman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast