Burn-Barrel Ashes - How To Use?

Thread: Burn-Barrel Ashes - How To Use?

My burn-barrel is starting to fill up with ashes and I'm ready to empty. What should I do with the ashes? Bag and trash or can they be used for gardening? The ashes are alkaline, right? Would this hurt or help a compost pile? The ashes are all wood. Thanks.

[ 03-25-2006, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: aquasport190 ]
    The "Dan"Forth
    Sundog Marina, DE Bay

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Hey Aqua what ever you do be very carefull with what you do with them. I dont recommend putting any ashes in plastic. They should only be put in metal containers, If you are going to dump them outside make sure they are cold and make sure again they are cold. I have seen a few homes lost to ashes put out on the back porch. Over the past week I have been to three fires caused by people dumping ashes in the back of their homes and setting the woods on fire. Ashes may appear to be cold but will hold heat especially when in a container.
    Happy Hookin
    Sailfish 24 Center
    Snug Harbor Marina
    Cape May, NJ & Vineland, NJ

oak ash is good for the garden....till it in.
    CaptEddieB / TimeTreasure / Ancient Mariner

Dirty Blond - Point taken. They've been out over night. Maybe I'll give them another 24 hours. Then I'll double check again.
    The "Dan"Forth
    Sundog Marina, DE Bay

Aqua, if you decide to use the ashes in the garden you should not use them on veggie plants. Firewood is slightly radioactive from atomic testing back in the 1950s and 60s. Burning it concentrates the radioactivity in the ashes. Not that it is a huge ammount but most gardening books recommend against using it for veggies.
    Life is like a fish on a line. When it is there you feel it. You fight it. You gain line. You lose line. But if that line snaps or that pole breaks, or a thousand other problems occur that fishermen use as excuses, when the tension is gone, you feel it even more. <br />Jimmy Buffet

Banned

Spread those atomic ashes in your back yard and grow tomackco,(saw it on the simsons) Just kidding ashes are not toxic as long as you did not burn radio active waste. Joe is right about the no veggie thing just put them out for the trash a bag at a time. Or mix them with the concrete footers for you deck. Good luck on the deck. Hope your family is feeling better.

Hey - nice talking to you Pier47. We actually feel worse now. The thing got a second wind. Now I'm nursing a hot tottie and it's feeling a little better.

I won't use them in gardening. The last load I dumped and wet down. I'll scoop up the muck and bag it tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    The "Dan"Forth
    Sundog Marina, DE Bay