Default Death Row Discrimination

Ethnicity of defendants on death row

• White: 1,226 (42.25%)
    • Black: 1,215 (41.87%)
    • Latino/Latina: 380 (13.09%)
    • Asian: 53 (1.83%)
    • Native American: 27 (0.93%)
    • Unknown: 1 (0.03%)[1]

Comparatively, the U.S. population is 63.7% non-Hispanic white, 12.2% black, 16.3% Hispanic or Latino, 4.7% Asian, 0.9% Native American, and 2.1% mixed or other.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I guess we need an Affirmative Action program,...."Cooking with Crackers"?

fdformicola likes this.
    I STARTED OUT RIDING THE TRUMP TRAIN! .......TODAY .....I'M AN ENGINEER.....

ON THE
    RUBE ROLLERCOASTER!

ALL ABOARD,....Trump Chumps!

2902 pos cook them sooner then later and save tax dollars,if it cost 100 a day to keep them ,290,200 everyday 105,923,000 $ yearly and I believe this is on the low side of the cost .
    fdformicola and NotAtWork like this.

med

LIES, DAMNED LIES, AND STATISTICS.....
    '04 Key West 2020 Bluewater CC

Doesn't tell me anything about Death Row Discrimination.

It only tells me .....that one needs to get further behind the numbers.

I 'suspect' as a % of their respective populations, non white Hispanics are less likely commit murder, and therefore have a lower % of their US population that are sentenced to die.

Can't draw any other conclusions regarding discrimination without more facts.
    Last edited by fish643; 04-21-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishblind View Post
    2902 pos cook them sooner then later and save tax dollars,if it cost 100 a day to keep them ,290,200 everyday 105,923,000 $ yearly and I believe this is on the low side of the cost .
    I've heard multiple sources say it costs more to try a death penalty case and the appeals than it does to incarcerate a person for life. I suppose you have no problem getting rid of the safeguards designed to prevent executing innocent people though. Even more importantly, who cares if real murderers are still on the street while we execute innocent men.

FWIW I'm not against the death penalty. There are crimes that are horrific enough to deserve it. But the police, lawyers, juries, and judges are less than perfect and the potential for mistakes exists. I am completely against executing innocent people, to the point I'd rather not execute anyone if there is even a .001% chance they may not be guilty.
    "Let us neither express, nor cherish, any harsh feeling towards any citizen who, by his vote, has differed with us. Let us at all times remember that all American citizens are brothers of a common country, and should dwell together in the bonds of fraternal feeling."

-Abraham Lincoln

I am completely against executing innocent people,

That's refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by aquasport190 View Post
    That's refreshing. [/COLOR]
    I wish I could say I believed most of the others here were too. But I feel like most here would vote for shooting them in the head before the handcuffs went on. A lot of people are in far too much rush to make errors that aren't fixable.
    shbackbay likes this.
    "Let us neither express, nor cherish, any harsh feeling towards any citizen who, by his vote, has differed with us. Let us at all times remember that all American citizens are brothers of a common country, and should dwell together in the bonds of fraternal feeling."

-Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by fishblind View Post
    Might only be 2,901 , we may need to find out the unknown guy first to be sure he is the right one

Unknown: 1 (0.03%)[1]

"I would rather be the hammer than the anvil" ​Erwin Rommel

Quote Originally Posted by flyphish View Post
    I've heard multiple sources say it costs more to try a death penalty case and the appeals than it does to incarcerate a person for life. I suppose you have no problem getting rid of the safeguards designed to prevent executing innocent people though. Even more importantly, who cares if real murderers are still on the street while we execute innocent men.

FWIW I'm not against the death penalty. There are crimes that are horrific enough to deserve it. But the police, lawyers, juries, and judges are less than perfect and the potential for mistakes exists. I am completely against executing innocent people, to the point I'd rather not execute anyone if there is even a .001% chance they may not be guilty.
    Yeah, when it takes an average of 15 yrs. and many millions to execute someone, this is stupidity at work, not safeguards.
    bay bee and fishblind like this.

ON THE
    RUBE ROLLERCOASTER!

Quote Originally Posted by OUTCAST2 View Post
    Yeah, when it takes an average of 15 yrs. and many millions to execute someone, this is stupidity at work, not safeguards.
    The most important thing is not killing innocent people. Money and time are a poor way to measure success.
    You know what happens when the state executes innocent men? The anti death penalty crowd gains support and legitimate reasons to oppose it. And it makes those that support it seem blood thirsty rather than seeking honest justice.

-Abraham Lincoln

The most important thing is not killing innocent people. Money and time are a poor way to measure success.
    You know what happens when the state executes innocent men? The anti death penalty crowd gains support and legitimate reasons to oppose it. And it makes those that support it seem blood thirsty rather than seeking honest justice.
    I'm fairly confident you ain't talking about the victims here!

ON THE
    RUBE ROLLERCOASTER!

Quote Originally Posted by polarizer View Post

• White: 1,226 (42.25%)
    • Black: 1,215 (41.87%)
    • Latino/Latina: 380 (13.09%)
    • Asian: 53 (1.83%)
    • Native American: 27 (0.93%)
    • Unknown: 1 (0.03%)[1]

Comparatively, the U.S. population is 63.7% non-Hispanic white, 12.2% black, 16.3% Hispanic or Latino, 4.7% Asian, 0.9% Native American, and 2.1% mixed or other.
    I believe that you are suggesting that criminal conduct by ethnicity occurs in direct proportion to the percentages of various ethnic groups in the population. And therefore, the greater number of blacks on death row is evidence of some type of bias in the criminal justice system. This methodology is similar to the disparate treatment theory, which has been the basis for the left to pursue enforcement action against various institutions such as lending, by the left. Under this theory, the DoJ would allege discrimination without actually proving any such conduct.

I would suggest that economic and cultural factors have a big influence on those statistics. For example, the collapse of the black family since the 1950's, the "gansta" culture, drug addiction, the sharp drop in religious observation, the loss of valuing education, the increasing belief in "victimhood" that is promoted by the left, are factors that contribute to this phenomenon.

I had a career in investigating complex white collar crimes for 32 years. I would estimate that I was the lead investigator on cases that resulted in the indictment of around 100 people. I can think of four black defendants in all of those cases, with their criminal activity, as follows:

Postmaster - conspiracy to defraud the government and bribery
    Owner of insurance agency - defrauding an insurance finance company
    Owner of government contracting company - conspiracy to defraud the government
    Owner of day care center - government program fraud

If we used the theory that criminal conduct should be representative of the population, these numbers would suggest that I would avoid investigation of black, white collar suspects or the prosecutors would decline prosecution of that group; or they were smarter criminals that were able to avoid detection. I can tell you, that is not the case. The disparity has to do with education and with the availability of capital. The absence of being involved in white collar positions limits your ability to perpetrate white collar crime, while exposure to the factors stated in the second paragraph tend to place people in a position to perpetrate violent crime, which can result in capital punishment. In addition, money can get you better lawyers than having financial resources.
    Last edited by Fishin' Finn; 04-21-2017 at 11:37 AM.
    “The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth.”
    ~ HL Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by OUTCAST2 View Post
    I'm fairly confident you ain't talking about the victims here!
    Nice deflection. Like I already mentioned though, when you support rushing to execute the wrong person, a real killer is still on the streets preying on more innocent people. Apparently that doesn't matter to you. You just want the immediate satisfaction of revenge, not actual justice.

-Abraham Lincoln

These two statements are contradictory, IMO....

You can't precisely quantify "Beyond a reasonable doubt", but I'm fairly sure it doesn't mean "one chance in 10,000."

How many criminals TOTAL could the U.S. have executed in its' entire history using your standard?

ON THE
    RUBE ROLLERCOASTER!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.