Thread: Fishing Reports March 1 - March 31

Safe & blessed travels.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Got to race remote control sailboats Sunday up at MT Laurel. There was no ice on the pond and snow was all gone. Cold and windy which was good for racing. On the way home stopped at a pickerel lake. Caught one very small pickerel about 10 inches long. With the wind blowing straight in my face and a lot of tree and brush snags along the shore I only fished for about a half hour. Looks like the weather might ease up a little this week to seriously get out and work fresh water for a bit.

Had to run back to Mt Laurel again this morning to get income taxes done and on the way back stopped at the pickerel lake that I hit on Sunday. Got another small pickerel and this little nice one, using a silver bait fish pattern. Fished for about and hour.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Anyone heading out this weekend? Looks like the weather is supposed to be A+++! Think I might go poking around for bass somewhere...

rob

definitely will try for local fw species

------------

Rob

Just got home from 10 days in KW. I had 5 days of fishing planed. My wife and I went down a few days before her siblings got there so that we could get 2 days of flats fishing in. When we got down there on the 15th a strong cold front had just gone through and it dropped the shallow water temperature down more than 10 degrees. I fished with Tony Skinner and he was not very optimistic . He explained that the Tarpon had started to show up a week or two ago, but with this cold they moved off the flats. I think there was a Permit tournament that was cancelled on account of the cold water. Capt. Tony said that we could target barracuda on the flats as they are able to tolerate colder temps.

On Thursday, we started on the ocean side and it was a bit breezy. Initially I started with a spinning rod and released 2 barracudas. After releasing those I switched to a fly rod. We spotted at least 15 groups of cudas and I had a good number follow my fly but was not able to hook up. I normally don't use a two hand retrieve and it is a must to move the fly at a good speed for the cuda to show any interest.
    As the tide rose we shifted to the Gulf side. Capt. Tony said that there would be less cudas, but they should be larger. I had a few more good follows but no hook ups. Tony was disappointed not seeing very many cudas and was reluctant to go again on Friday.

We had 3 trips with another Charter scheduled for the ocean side on a 28' CC later in the week and we were not disappointed.
    Day one we started anchored over a submarine wreck and had blackfin tuna, albies, amberjack, cudas, and a few other verities. We moved off the wreck and slow trolled 2 speedos and caught and released a sail. We started back up and I boated a 73# King Mackerel on spinning tackle. The Capt. was very excited and said that it was his personal best on his boat. We then anchored on a reef and we caught a few Mutton Snapper, a bunch of yellow tail and released a few grouper. We had two more trips later in the week and each day was as fun as our first.

I was a little disappointed that I was not able to flyfish the flats as much as I hoped, but it was fun catching the variety out on the ocean side.

Tight Lines and Safe Returns,
    Saltshaker

Glad you had a couple of fun days on the water & yes you really have to smoke a fly to get good reaction from the cudas. Got out today for the first time in several days. Grocery fishing in the Gulf & caught bunches of lane, muttons(too small) & a small variety of bottom fish. What size mutton did you get & that was a BIG kingfish. Hurry back & get in touch with me next time if you want.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Sorry to hear the fishing in KW wasn't up to your expectations. The weather can change things so fast down there. Today here in south jersey we had more rain than they predicted. Still sounds like you had a pretty good time.

Today was going to do some boat waxing but rain and waxing don't mix. Best I could do today is stopping by a lake on the way back from shopping, fishing in-between rain drops for about and hour and got two small crappies and a small largemouth.

Who else is getting the itch? Warmer days and blooming plants are getting under my skin. Getting my gear ready on the weekends, but it sure is tough sitting in the office on these sunny days!

rob

Got the itch but no takers on the fly yet. In fact, no takers period, but I digress....

------------

Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.