Fishing Reports April 1 - April 30 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports April 1 - April 30

Ray,
    I anchored next to a rip line and fished that for a long time in the salt creek yesterday. The little bass were jumping randomly all around, in and out of the line. I tried everything in the box but got no interest. I have no idea what they were feeding on, if anything. I know they were stripers because one jumped right next to the stern of the boat and I saw it clearly. No mistaking that head. Nothing huge, probably 15-20" fish. Would have been a blast to get a few of them though. They could have been on shrimp or scuds for all I know. Those Del Bay creeks are full of surprises.

I went out this afternoon and hit a local mud pond and the sweet water creek again. No nothing going on. Saw one trout under a log, but couldn't get any interest. Once they stock again it will be worth going out. Just have to bide my time.

I have plenty of issues to worry about up this way, but beach fill isn't one of them. I hope it doesn't ruin your entire season like it did in some of my other favorite spots the past few years.
    Last edited by Fly Ty R; 04-15-2017 at 05:01 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Dying to get out today but with a decent east wind and wanted to fish the ocean it would of been a little sporty. Just didn't feel like getting beat up by wind and waves. Need a nice light west or north northwest wind or a plain calm day, to have some fun. Last couple of springs we have had a lot of wind, with nice fishing days at a premium. Maybe next week will be better and I can get out. I will be racing remote control sailboats this weekend in rain and wind, unless they blow the forecast. At least there, the wind is a good thing.

Tough fishing today. This afternoon the wind was fairly light out of the east and I thought about doing some saltwater fishing. I checked the tides and found at 4:00 pm was high. Looking more closely I saw there was only 3.5 feet of water on high which meant it was a very low high tide and that the out going tide would be running very light. On these super light tides I have found fishing to normally be very slow fishing as the fish feed better with a stronger moving tide. I decided not to even give it a try.

Later in the afternoon, my buddy Paul called to see if I wanted to go freshwater fishing. Decided freshwater would be great as there was no tides to effect fishing. We got to lake around 4:00 pm and fished till 6:15 pm and neither of us got a single strike. We tried different types of flies on different lines and nothing produced. I tried wooly buggers, baitfish patterns and a popping fly. It was like we were in the twilight zone. Can't remember the last time I went freshwater fishing and got totally skunked.

Talked to 3 other fishermen and none of them got anything using lures. Really don't have any idea why the fishing was so poor.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Long dry spell is to blame I think. We need some rain to spice it up again, and it's incoming. I got 4 fresh stockers this evening after work, but it wasn't easy. Water was so low and clear they refused to hit just about anything. They would inspect and swirl away every time. I went down to 2lb tipper and small nymphs to get any activity. I'm actually surprised I got any. One good shot of rain will wake them up and make them good and stupid again...:-]

rob

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Ty R View Post
    Ray,
    I anchored next to a rip line and fished that for a long time in the salt creek yesterday. The little bass were jumping randomly all around, in and out of the line. I tried everything in the box but got no interest. I have no idea what they were feeding on, if anything. I know they were stripers because one jumped right next to the stern of the boat and I saw it clearly. No mistaking that head. Nothing huge, probably 15-20" fish. Would have been a blast to get a few of them though. They could have been on shrimp or scuds for all I know. Those Del Bay creeks are full of surprises.

I went out this afternoon and hit a local mud pond and the sweet water creek again. No nothing going on. Saw one trout under a log, but couldn't get any interest. Once they stock again it will be worth going out. Just have to bide my time.

I have plenty of issues to worry about up this way, but beach fill isn't one of them. I hope it doesn't ruin your entire season like it did in some of my other favorite spots the past few years.
    I'm still trying to figure out (non fresh) stocked bows down here, no idea what floats their boat, unlike their char brethren that used to be stocked. Those were fairly easy once you found their hidey holes.

BTW, club had a Cumberland county member share some of the local fresh and salt haunts over on the west coast last night, fascinating.

------------

Rob

rob

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Ty R View Post
    Long dry spell is to blame I think. We need some rain to spice it up again, and it's incoming. I got 4 fresh stockers this evening after work, but it wasn't easy. Water was so low and clear they refused to hit just about anything. They would inspect and swirl away every time. I went down to 2lb tipper and small nymphs to get any activity. I'm actually surprised I got any. One good shot of rain will wake them up and make them good and stupid again...:-]
    it ain't going to be dry this weekend, hmmmm nymphs and 2lb tippet. Guess I gotta take off my bass leader

------------

Rob

You got it right, the brookies were far easier to fool than the current bows they stock. I don't think they were as picky. I know at this time last year I was getting the bows just about every other cast. But the water was higher and more stained. Now it's very low, clear, and slow, which are three things that make it much tougher in moving water. But they can be caught, if you can figure out their mood of the day. I'm sure if I put my time in at the mud hole ponds I'd do well since low clear water isn't a problem, but I'd much rather stick to the streams when I can.

I would have liked to see that club presentation. One of these days I'll join back up, but my work / travel schedule doesn't allow it at present. One thing I've learned from living and fishing the NJ west coast, the fish don't act the same as their Atlantic Coast cousins. Neither do the people, but that's a different story :-D
    rob likes this.

Fished all day in the rain. Got a few trout in different streams, both rainbow and green. Pequest and Hackettown's finest. Didn't bother with pics of the bows, but these are maybe the smallest LMB I've gotten in a long time. They both deserved pics. One day they'll be monsters, but not today.

Tried the salt too but no luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0713_1492900129726.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	377865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0715_1492900172456.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	377873  
    Last edited by Fly Ty R; 04-22-2017 at 06:32 PM.

rob

Yesterday I stopped at a local stocked pond... with a first time fly rod catch, whiskered

Actually put up a nice fight on the 3 wt. I used a dry / dropper combo, and it took a size 18 pheasant tail!

------------

Rob

Good to see there is some catching being done. Weather is still the big factor down here in Cape May. Any day that I can go the wind has been blowing pretty strong or from the wrong directions with large sea swells. Today my wind station at the house was hitting 26 mph and tomorrow they are call for wind in the 30's. Could really use a nice calm sunny day to go out and have some fun. Looking down the road there is not super nice days as far out as they are forecasting. Seems to be another weird spring.

rob

Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay View Post
    Good to see there is some catching being done. Weather is still the big factor down here in Cape May. Any day that I can go the wind has been blowing pretty strong or from the wrong directions with large sea swells. Today my wind station at the house was hitting 26 mph and tomorrow they are call for wind in the 30's. Could really use a nice calm sunny day to go out and have some fun. Looking down the road there is not super nice days as far out as they are forecasting. Seems to be another weird spring.

Ray,

Won't later this week freshen up for you? or will those swells from the low still be a problem for your favorite haunts?

I'll be out in Long Island and have a planned stop at the conny... next week will renew my hunt for a peqbow and then be on the salt as May progresses.

------------

Rob

Rob, have a good trip. Right now, the best fishing at this time of the year is along the surf line in close, so any wind off the ocean with sea swells makes fishing sporty at best and dangerous if too much wave action. Seems to be May before there is any baitfish to bring the fish into the back bay down here. Heard not too far to the north they are starting to see some bass in the back and some decent size fish along the beach and in the back mixed in. It is the old story of the fish will be where the food is and right now down here there is little to no food here anymore. April use to have birds covering the inlet on a good incoming tide with bass and blues visible feeding on the surface. With the weather and wind not helping I am going to take off and race sailboats again this weekend. At least I can have some fun on the water and wind is your friend.

Thought I might get out in the boat today for some Saltwater Fishing. A bit foggy and misty. Wind died down and was light from the northwest. Decided to go down the the beach and check out the conditions before going out. There was still some good sea swells with some big surf coming in with a number of surfers riding the waves. Looked from one end of Cape May to the other and saw no signs of birds, bait or dolphins and the water was still very murky from all the wind and wave action. Figured it would be tough fishing at best so headed over to local lake that they stock with trout. Caught one small large mouth and lost a small trout that threw the hook before I could get it on shore. Disappointed that I didn't get out but was better than no fishing at all.

Finally have a minute. First off I have enjoyed pondering all the comments & I do hope you are able to produce. I can remember when Johnny & I had problems we would find the ones catching & find out where & when. Hope things can start to come together for some of you. I had an opportunity to come N.to Melbourne on Monday for mostly business. Got out above Titusville today & caught trout, several way over 20" & some slot redfish. Decent conditions & a fun day. Heading back S. early Thursday A .M. Before I left down there spent Saturday fishing with my commercial friend & we left the dock at 2:30 AM anchored on the reef once & pulled the anchor at 3 P.M. with just under 2000 lbs. of yellowtail, & 5oo lbs of blue runner. Needless to say a pretty full day. Most 3 fishing with cane, yes cane poles, no reel, about 8ft of fluorocarbon & a baited hook. A real zoo. BTW used 1250 lbs. of chum. Really learned what the expression "chum & they will come" means. Would not want to do this as a steady diet but a lot do & they gained some more of my respect. Hopefully the weather will be good tomorrow & the next couple of nights because its been awhile since I've done well with the tarpon at night. Stay well guys & catch them up.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

I might give up on the trout this year. After a banner opener, they all seem to have lockjaw now. Even the fresh stockers aren't taking anything, except in fast water areas where they are more easily fooled. I've thrown everything at them, and have gone down to the lightest and longest tippet I have (2lb). Still, they swipe at the fly but never hit it. I really can't figure this out. I'm in Rob's boat now. Or I just lost the magic. Who knows. Time to start looking more at the salt anyway. Will be out with my friend in my skiff at super top secret inlet #2 on Sat, so we'll see what happens.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.