Fishing Reports April 1 - April 30
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports April 1 - April 30

Default Fishing Reports April 1 - April 30

Hoping the weather starts to get better for all you up there. Looking forward to some good striper catches. I have been doing fairly well with grocery fishing but went for tarpon 2 of the last 3 mornings; 2 A.M. & 4 A.M. beginning of outgoing. No evidence of fish & no hits. Water temp is 73. Think we need a few more degrees of warmth. Good catching to you this month.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

weather's great here today.

sunny and 70s.

we're able to catch anything we want today on the fly: bass, crappie, pics, stripers, blues, tarpon... you name it.

it's great!

ok, carry on.

------------

Rob

Worked on the boat all day in the yard because it was so dang windy, too much to enjoy fishing. I finally went out around 7:30 pm when the ridiculous gale subsided and caught a mess of trout. Lots of action to be had. One of the best opening days I can remember. Got hits on nearly every cast using little streamers, only stuck 4 though. Not bad for an hour till sunset. Had to fish around the other people who want to fish right next to me, but oh well. It's only opening day, so 95% of them won't be there in a few weeks anyway. It makes me a better caster!
    rob likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Way to go with the trout. Still think I know the area you are in, but I have never done as well as you. Very well done. Guess its' presentation.
    Ron Conner

rob

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Ty R View Post
    Worked on the boat all day in the yard because it was so dang windy, too much to enjoy fishing. I finally went out around 7:30 pm when the ridiculous gale subsided and caught a mess of trout. Lots of action to be had. One of the best opening days I can remember. Got hits on nearly every cast using little streamers, only stuck 4 though. Not bad for an hour till sunset. Had to fish around the other people who want to fish right next to me, but oh well. It's only opening day, so 95% of them won't be there in a few weeks anyway. It makes me a better caster!
    way to go, Dave. I'll be swinging by some of the SJ mud and sand holes this week, but usually do better after the next stocking on the fly, due to water temps.

I may do a Monmouth county swing to some of my old spots, Yellow Brook, Hock, and of course the Toms, but we'll see.

------------

Rob

Dave, Good to hear your got out this weekend and got a few fish. Weather has made me feel like I should get out and fish but wanted to get the yard work and the boat done. (Being responsible is no fun) Worked hard to get my boat ready to launch this weekend but couldn't find a saltwater intake screen for my live wells. I usually pick one up at Tonys Marine Supply as he would always carry them in stock. He is closed now and three other places I tried didn't have them so I had to order them on line. Now have relatives visiting for the next few days so I won't get the boat in till later this week. The delay is killing me!

I know there are sea herring around the inlet as I see some osprey diving for them. Also hearing some reports of fair numbers of small bass along the surf so I can't wait to hit the ocean on a nice day. Stopped by my marina yesterday to get something out of dock box and water looked clean and they have the water turned on for the season, so all systems are a go. Only about 8 boats in the water so far. Hope to have a fishing report soon.

Rob, I would try the ocean front rather than the back areas. From a couple of guys up your way that were catching the action was on the ocean side and they were fishing from shore.

Ron,
    Yeah you probably know where I am, and it's all about figuring out what the fish actually want and where they are. It can be very tough if you're not keyed in on those two things. At this point I have enough years of experience on that water to know where to find them. In the beginning it was very tough. I just find it amusing that I outfish the Powerbait mafia most times. At least I think that I'm opening up their eyes to just how productive the fly rod can be on our brush choked muddy creeks and ponds.

Rob,
    Gotta love our mud puddles! I'm more interested in our mud creeks, though. The trout in the ponds are basically bass food, so at least they give us some big bigmouths. I haven't been up to Toms or the Hock in forever. One of these days I'd like to get back up there with a fly rod. Only time I get up there now is for work. Yuck. Good luck!

Ray,
    Hope all goes well with your boat. And I also hope it's worth it this year to even put the boat in the water. There's always hope!

rob

Lunchtime, I found one of these green trout:

instead of what I was looking for:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bass-4-11-2017-sm.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	376362   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trout-wanted.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	376370  

------------

Rob

Trout of any color will work :-D. I went after work for a few minutes and got nothing. The spot I've fished has been hit very hard this week, so I will have to get to my other spot back in the woods to find the fish again.

The full moon this morning really screamed "Herring Run"! I want to get out on the boat soon to fish our salt creeks around here. I know the bass are there, just have to stop being stuck in the office on these beautiful sunny wind-free days.
    Last edited by Fly Ty R; 04-11-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    rob likes this.

Nothing wrong with catching some largemouth. I love catching them and they fight better than trout.

Very disappointing start to the saltwater fishing for me. Perfect light wind and sunny. Got the boat all ready for the water. Launched late this morning to fish the out going tide where I knew there would be fish along the ocean front. Engine started and ran great. Headed out the inlet and the water was beautiful green and clean. Turned and headed for my fishing area and found the water murky. When I got into the beach area I wanted to fish was the victim of beach replenishment. They had three pipes on the beach and a couple of bulldozers pushing stuff to the waters edge. Where I fish was now all under sand and the water looked horrible. I could not see my fly down even a foot.

I have no idea how long they will be playing games on the beach but know for sure my spring fishing will be shot to hell, with little chance for improvement. Tried around the inlet for a while, where the water was a little cleaner, but this time of year I find most of the action to be in close to the beach in very shallow water. We fished for about two hours without a single hit and saw no bird activity to even give us hope. With so few decent early season spots left to fish it is hard to get super excited and it seems to be around May we we see any life in the back bay down here anymore. Not the start I was hoping for.

Ray,
    It's hard to stay optimistic when everything is thrown in your face. Any chance of trying the Del Bay side of the canal? I can't stand that beach fill, it ruins so much more than it fixes, in my opinion.

I'm planning on dunking my boat tomorrow, since I got the day off. I know the motor runs in idle, but we'll see how well the skiff actually floats and moves. It's been 3 years since the last time it was in the water, so here's hoping it all goes well. Ive been working on it for the last few months, had to fix nearly everything in it and the trailer.

Also, got my son to tie his first fly today. And what do you know, it was the old standby black beadhead woolly bugger. I think he did pretty well for his first time. It'll definitely catch some trout if he doesn't lose it first. We did a few buggers and some lightning bug nymphs, just to start out. Will try them out tomorrow in the early am, then will dunk the boat later.
    Last edited by Fly Ty R; 04-13-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Sorry for you start Ray. Hope you can put together a unique different idea. Good luck.

Wish you well Dave & hoping the engine runs well.
    Ron Conner

rob

Ray,

It sounds like the spring is going to be screwed up in LBI, and I believe Margate, for the spring in addition to whatever they're doing down your way:

http://www.shorenewsnetwork.com/2017...ch-next-month/

Hope you find a new strategy that works.

Was out at a mudhole looking for trout yesterday, nothing found except some very fat cormorants. I did spook what looked to be the largest large mouth
    I've ever seen in person. In fact, was so big I doubting it was a bass, perhaps a grass carp... but I saw the striped down the side...

------------

Rob

Rob,
    You'll see some huge bass this time of the year on beds. Fairly easy to catch, but not appealing to me anymore. I leave the spawners alone.

Had a long day, but a good day. Started out in the woods this morning. Got a few trout under the logs and brush in the creek, had to seek them out. Since it's been weeks since they were stocked (mid March), it's like fishing after Memorial Day right now. They won't stock the creek again until late next week, and then it will be easy pickings again for a few days. Also got lots of sunnies and creek chubs, but they don't count, right?

After a few hours dealing with mulitflora rose bushes and cat briar, I loaded up the boat and took it to the salt creek. Launched just fine. Floated pretty well. A bit waterlogged but nothing major. Typical of C skiffs. I got it up on plane and everything worked fine. Ran up and down the creek a few times, did a few miles at WOT just to get it cranked up. Fished the salt for a bit too. Saw quite a few small stripers slashing at the surface, but couldn't figure out what they were chasing. It wasn't herring, must have been little tiny bait. Who knows. At dead high I decided to hit the pond down the road. After nearly losing my truck at the ramp (oh lovely RWD truck, not 4WD), I ran a mile to the pond and unloaded again.

Fished a zonker clouser next to a log and caught the biggest crappie I've ever gotten. I thought it was a several lb largemouth until I got it in the boat. Of course I didn't have my phone on me, so no pic. Wish I got one though. Fished the rest of the pond with no action at all. Saw some carp sunning themselves in a cove, but couldn't get them to look at a fly. Sun was going down so it was time to go home. Very long day on the water, but good to get out. Hit all three SJ waters in one day.
    Last edited by Fly Ty R; 04-14-2017 at 09:13 PM.
    rob likes this.

Dave, good to hear you got that boat in the water again. Sounds like freshwater is where the action is for you. Seems like you should be able to find something those small stripers will eat. Better luck next trip.

Buddy of mine was out this morning and said they were still dredging and pumping on the beach. He fished the incoming tide and said all the super bad water was running south with the current. He had a couple of very small stripers, once decent bluefish and one bite off. Looks like it will be a fish the incoming tide till they are done destroying the beaches as our back bay really doesn't show signs of life till May any more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.