Fishing Reports May 1 - May 31 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports May 1 - May 31

After canceling yesterdays trip due to wind and not having a trip for today, I was doing yard work and noticed the wind was very light and would be a good day to fish. I called up a couple of friends for a quick afternoon trip. We left the dock at 12:30 to fish the out going tide in the back bay. Found the water back there very clean and 60 degrees. Water was too nice. I could actually see bottom almost everywhere we fished, which is very unusual down here anymore. It was even a tougher tide than what I fished on Monday as there was only 3 feet 6 inches of high water making for a very sluggish tidal flow at all creek mouths and rip lines. Even with all the bright sun and blue skies we found 7 bass and one bluefish that took chartreuse/white clousers on intermediate lines.

I got the first fish and the nicest one of the day. It looked to be a hybrid bass as it was 22 inches long and chunker than most fish that size.

The other two friends got small stripers and a 3 lb bluefish. Paul was going to keep the blue for dinner, but at the dock decided he didn't feel like cleaning it so we released unharmed out of the live well.

Near the end of our trip the wind shifted from the west to the south and picked up a bit and we called it a day and were back to the dock by 4:00 pm. We had fun afternoon and got some fish.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

My charter today had trouble getting down so we got a super late start. We never left the dock till 10:00 am. We headed to the ocean to fish the incoming tide. Found the water to be around 56 degrees and super clean. Again it was a very poor incoming tide with only 3.5 feet of movement. With the clear blue sky and clear water I knew it was going to be a bit tough at best, but he caught a small striper and about a 3 lb bluefish with another bluefish biting him off.

Around noon there was enough water in the back to try some areas in the back bay. Again with the bright sun and super clean water fishing was tough. We worked a number of spots getting 3 more stripers, another bluefish and missing a few more stripers that would follow the fly and then turn away at the last second. This was the nicest bass of the day.

We used sinking line in the ocean and intermediate line in the back bay and everything hit chartreuse/white clousers. Not hot fishing, he had to work hard for every fish but a fun day with less than idea conditions.

Glad you found some Ray. Tough here with the wind Wed. dark AM no bites. Wed PM dark 2/3. Really tough with 20+mph wind. Was from the East, so a little shelter. Tuff fishing though.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

Finally broke the saltwater skunk at Corson's last evening with the club. Slow evening from everything I saw, but got a 3lb blue, and lost another. Saw a couple of sardine sized striped bass caught, and at least 1 bigger blue caught by a spin guy but that was it. Some guys were staying til after dark, but having forgot a jacket or even a long sleeve shirt, I wimped out and left just after sunset

------------

Rob

I have slowed down on fishing lately, too much other stuff going on. Ray, I agree that one bass you got sure looks like a hybrid. May very well be one.

One thing I have done that's fishing related was to add some self-leveling tabs to my little mud skiff so it would finally run correctly. And I switched the prop out for a lower pitch with more blades. Hoping this will do the trick with planing and whatnot. It's never been right since the day I bought it. I need to get it in the water to test. Not sure when that will be though.

Please let me know how the tabs work out. I have read about them & hope they work.
    Ron Conner

Please let me know how the tabs work out. I have read about them & hope they work.
    Ron Conner

Ron,
    I took the skiff out this morning in the wind with my 2 kids as ballast weight in the front (about 160lb between the both of them). Got up on plane with little effort, whereas before the tabs it would have never gotten there, especially into the wind. I also went down to a 4-blade 11 pitch prop from the original 3-blade 13 pitch. The rpm finally got up to max at WOT, which it never could with the 13 pitch. I think the combo of the prop and tabs made all the difference. They do leave quite a messy rooster tail now behind the transom, but they don't seem to add any drag to the boat at speed because they lift up against the increasing water pressure. I got the Bennett SLT 6x8 tabs, in case you were wondering, the smallest I could find. I was afraid anything larger would have been too much for my little motor to push up.

I just have to test it with only me in the boat next to see how it runs solo. I imagine it will be better than fine . I used to have a big whale tail foil on the motor, and needed to have it trimmed all the way down to get on plane by myself. Also needed to do that so it wouldn't porpoise like crazy. The added drag and pull to port from the trim and foil were awful. Now I can have the motor trimmed level with the bottom (3rd hole up instead of 1st on my Merc 20HP) and it works like a charm. For the ~$100 the tabs cost, they were well worth it.

I really think I could get it to plane normally with the old prop now too because of the tabs, but I'll just save it as a spare. I would recommend these tabs to anyone with a small boat that struggles to plane out, and that porpoises like nuts at speed. They fix both of those problems very well. Time will tell how well they hold up, but they seem to be pretty well made stainless plates.

Boat is a Carolina Skiff J14 (14ft) with a 20HP Merc tiller, by the way.
    Last edited by Fly Ty R; 05-20-2017 at 03:32 PM.
    rob likes this.

Got into these Friday afternoon... Biggest was 12lbs. Got tired and left them biting.
    roccoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	bluefish 2017.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	382370
    rob likes this.

as you can see I'm not the best with photo uploading!
    rd

Nice bluefish. Really great on the fly when you get into them & pic is fine. Popper or streamer?
    Ron Conner

Dave, good to see you got the boat working the way you want. I think that different prop did more for you than any other change. Now it will be more pleasurable on the water for you.

Rocco, nice going. I haven't seen you on the water yet this year yet, but we fish some of the same areas. Where are you docking?

I had a great weekend sailing the remote control sailboats and understand I didn't miss too much as it was again fairly windy here in Cape May and was chomping to get out on the water again.

Got out early this morning with a charter and we had a banner day. Best trip so far and may end up being the best of the year as the fishing was that good. We left the dock at 5:30 am. to fish the last of the incoming and the start of the outgoing. Weather was perfect. Cloudy, overcast and light northerly breeze.

Started in the ocean where we caught 5 stripers. 2 were throw backs and 3 where keepers all around the same size. 28 1/2 to 30 inches. Guys let them all go and this was one of the keepers.

When the tide started out I moved us to the back bay to fish the outgoing tide at creek mouths. First area we stopped we had a double hookup with two bass. We caught two more bass here and a nice bluefish and moved on.
    We would catch a bass here and there and then found a area with some egrets, cranes and terns working a section of sod banks. (that was the first bait fish that I have seen in the back this year.) We worked this area hard saw some fish busting on the bait and caught a good number of bass and one more bluefish. Most of the stripers were nice size. Most were 22 to 26 inches long.

When the action slowed I tried two other creeks without of hit and ended up going back to where we last saw the bait fish and picked up three more stripers, with this one being the last of the day.

Headed back to the dock at 9:30 am after catching 20 stripers and 2 bluefish and loosing a bluefish to a bite off and a good striper to a chafe off. Was a good move as the water was getting low, it was a bit cool and the wind started picking up. Wish every trip could be this good.

Ray,
    Almost like the good ol days. Looking good. Hope it sticks around a bit for you!

I think the tabs are doing a lot too. I can trim the motor out way more than ever before. It no longer pulls hard to the left because of that, so I'm not fighting it the whole time. And there is no more hippity hop rabbit bounce at speed. I hope to get it out again soon, this time with a fishing rod.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.