Fishing Reports May 1 - May 31
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports May 1 - May 31

Default Fishing Reports May 1 - May 31

May is here & with it the promise of fair skies & plenty of fish. Sounds good to me & I can only hope it happens that way. Again looking forward to reading some great reports. For me this next week end will be Poontangle XVII. This started in 2000 when a bunch who had only talked on computer, I think it was the Virtual Flyshop, decided to stop talking about going to the Keys & just go. It was a week-end hosted by Bob & Kathy Brown living on No-Name-Key, About 20 showed up from all around Florida & N.J. & it has continued since then with #s approaching as many as 45 -50. We hosted it for the last 8 or so years & this year we turned it over to a couple who live on Big Pine Key. Looking forward to seeing some old friends. Tight lines & good fishing.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Tide was close to correct at 5 this AM so went to one of my areas & had to wait for the tide but wasn't light until 7 or so & I had over an hour of outgoing. Water was full of finger mullet but very few tarpon were eating & I received no takes. Tended stone crab traps, mediocre, 2 1/2 lbs. Fished in the sea trout area & had some small snappers but no trout. Wind was under 10 FINALLY.
    Ron Conner

Got 6 nice trout today. Guess all it took was some good rain to make them bite. It was like old times.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Ron, looks like you have had some wind down south too. At least you can get some of those stone crabs. They are better than the fish anyday.

Canceled a couple of charters this week due to the wind and couldn't find a decent day to even do a personal trip. Again due to the wind. I looked at my wind gauge and the weather and all I seem to see is winds in the high teens to mid 20's an mainly from the wrong direction. Raced remote control sailboats up in Mt Laurel today. We had good winds and a couple of brief showers. On the way home I stopped at a lake to try from some pickerel and just as I was getting my gear ready it started pouring pretty hard so I just got in the car and headed home. Probably the slowest salt water start that I can remember. My boat has been in the water for close to a month and the constant heavy winds day after day have kept me at the dock. Sooner or later we should see some nice weather. People keep calling me and asking me how the fishing is. First hand, I really do not know. There should be some fish around.

Finally got out fishing today. There was a change in the wind forecast for this afternoon. Wind was blowing from the north north west and was to die down by 2:00 pm. Decided to fish the incoming tide in the ocean. Left the dock at 3:00 pm. Wind had not lighten up like predicted. We headed out to fish the ocean. Ocean was flat except for the good breeze blowing from the land. Water was 54 to 55 degrees and nice and clean. We worked to get in the lee of the shore and started fishing right outside the beach break. We caught most of our fish in 4 to 8 feet of water working about a 1/2 mile of beach and a few fish around the inlet.

Second cast of the day got my first saltwater fish of the year. A small 13 inch striper.

My buddy Peter and I fished for 3 hours and had a pretty good pick of small stripers from 13 to 15 1/2 inches and bluefish to about 3 pounds. We caught 22 fish in total, all using sinking line and chartreuse/white clousers. Kept 4 bluefish for a dinner and released everything else.

It was fun to finally get out on the water and get a few fish. While working the shallow water we did spook a big fish under the boat in about 6 feet of water. It looked like it was following my fly and just went down under the boat. It was huge and looked to be about 4 feet long. Could not tell if it was a extra big striper or a drum fish. It just happen so fast and could get a real good look. Wind finally started dying out as we headed back to the dock.

rob

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Ty R View Post
    Got 6 nice trout today. Guess all it took was some good rain to make them bite. It was like old times.
    no trout for me, yet, this season. yesterday, I couldn't get anything to commit to a fly over at birch grove, all nips/follows/short strikes. definitely wierd, as I kept checking to see if my hook had broken.
    was using small nymphs off a big well "greased" stimulator with various retrieves, PT, Prince, then later went to a maribou muddler. nada.

Congrats, Ray, on the ocean action!

------------

Rob

Well done Ray. Sorry your not connecting Rob-YET. Went 1 for 2 on tarpon last night. Midnight - 3 AM. First one in the last bunch of trips. Anxious for tonight. Wish I could get photo bucket to work like it used to. Any useful help?
    Ron Conner

We had the bluefish tonight. Fillets broiled in butter and lemon juice and then smothered in green peppers, tomatoes and onions till the veggies are soft. It is one of my favorite fish. I cut out any of the red sections in the fish and there is no fishy taste to them at all.

Ron, getting some tarpon action sounds good. Fishing in the middle of the night sounds tiring come day break. Don't know why you are having a problem. I use photobucket and it seems to work just like it always did.

Bluefish sounds good. Always liked the2-4pounders. I'll look at again. Might be my stubby fingers. Yes the sleep patterns are tough this time of year. Lots of napping during the day. so far okay. Tonight starting at 1:15. Have never seen such a light tidal flow for a full moon Seems to make for better flow. Tons of bait but I have not seen any evidence of a worm hatch.
    Ron Conner

If it is like up here the evening tide has the strong flow and the morning high has the much lighter flow. Check your local tide table for the water level at high tide on both tides and you should see the difference. We have had strong northeast winds and heavy rains this morning, making you think twice about even going out. I have canceled charters and haven't wanted to fish the heavy winds on the days I am free. Tried some freshwater on the way home yesterday from a trip. I fished 2 hours only to have three small hits, catching a 8 inch large mouth. Not much to get excited about.

Can't get the right weather days when I have charters scheduled. So far I keep get heavy winds or heavy rain and wind and have to keep canceling. Today was a fairly nice day and I had to go out and at least scout around. It turned out to be a much better fishing day than I thought it would be. Called a couple of friends last minute and they couldn't make it. I didn't expect too much as I was going to fish the out going tide around 11:30 am and the high tide was a very low high with on 3.9 feet for water at high so I knew there would be a very poor flow of current.
    Knowing I was going to have bright sun a poor tidal flow and a fairly good wind I had low expectations as I headed to the back bay to fish tidal flows out of small creeks. First creek in 3 feet of water got three small stripers all around 18 to 181/2 inches. Water was 57 to 60 degrees in the back.

Second creek I found 4 stripers and missed one, these were all 23 to 25 inches long and everything was taking a chartreuse/white clouser on intermediate line.

Third creek I got two more bass with one being the best of the day at 26 inches long.

After the water got two low I moved and worked two rip lines where I picked up more stripers and caught a 33 inch bluefish that pulled me into my backing a bit. Had another one about the same size bite me off and landed another smaller blue about 3 lbs. Kept the larger bluefish for dinner.

Wind had kicked up a bit and I quit around 3:30 pm after catching 15 bass and 2 bluefish. On the way back to the dock I decided to shoot out to the ocean an check the beachfront for tomorrow afternoons charter. Water was nice and clean and around 56 degrees. Tried a few casts but no hits but did see a nice bald eagle sitting on the inlet jetty as I was heading in. Not looking good for tomorrows trip as the are calling for winds in the 20's (not great fly fishing weather.)

Testing. If this works, This fish was caught during the day Friday in a 14 ft natural channel surrounded by 2 - 4 ft flats, close to Monkey Key Oceanside, where NASA late 50s (?) raised the monkeys for early space flights. Little sporty with the wind., FL12wt with large white Capt BobLeMay fly.

Ron Conner

rob

It worked... congrats!!

------------

Rob

Beautiful looking fish caught during daylight making it even better for seeing the jumps. Way to go! Plus you got the photo thing working. Looks like life is good in the keys and when it is too windy to fish you can always pull your stone crab traps for a nice meal.

I am sitting on the dock of the bay today. We had winds in the 20's gusting to 28 at the time we were to leave the dock. With two freshwater guys with little saltwater fly fishing experience it would of not been any fun. I wouldn't even want to go out and fish personally unless I was chumming and sitting in the lee of a nice cabin. We had a few gusts that hit 30 and that was back at the house and not on a big open area.

rob

and by the way, Ray, congrats on the outing... not sure how you made out yesterday, but in the morning some club members did ok at one of the inlets on foot.

blues and some small stripers, I think.

------------

Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.