Crabbing from my kayak

Thread: Crabbing from my kayak

Default Crabbing from my kayak

Looking for a spot to do some crabbing with my kayak. Anyone know of a spot that I can hand line and get some crabs without fighting the tide to much? Capemay /wildwood our the ocean city area. Thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

talk to fred over at no bones.. sure he would be willing to help

See if Waterbug's emai is listed. He does a lot of crabbing form his yak. Nice guy, he'll help you out.
    cj

I have done it a few times. I end up dropping the usual hand lines, but tie a piece of wood to them. Thus I can move around and pick them up. I find you don't have enough room on a kayak to hang 6+ lines.

So instead, I drop about 10 lines in a small area (Say 10x10 yards) - I just paddle betwen them and pick them up.

I'm sure that technically this isn't legal because they are not attached to my boat and are thus unmarked floats, but honestly - I don't care. No harm - no foul. It's very easy and keeps you more active than just sitting on your a$$ in a kayak.
    "Most things you worry about Never happen anyway"

I'm going tomorrow morning to a nice spot. Got 5 dozen 2 weeks ago all males 215-651-9784 or Waterbug@kayakfishing1stop.com

Quote Originally Posted by GoNavy View Post
    I have done it a few times. I end up dropping the usual hand lines, but tie a piece of wood to them. Thus I can move around and pick them up. I find you don't have enough room on a kayak to hang 6+ lines.

So instead, I drop about 10 lines in a small area (Say 10x10 yards) - I just paddle betwen them and pick them up.

I'm sure that technically this isn't legal because they are not attached to my boat and are thus unmarked floats, but honestly - I don't care. No harm - no foul. It's very easy and keeps you more active than just sitting on your a$$ in a kayak.
    I do the same but I use the basket traps that lay flat. I bait them up before launch and stack them neatly on top of each other. 10 is about the limit.
    when I get to my spot I cruse the bank and drop 1 every 10yrs then circle back and start the crabbin.

Got 42 today here is the largest of them

Tom, when are you going, on Saturday? Let me know how you did.

The Salty Dogs have a gig in Wildwood Saturday night, so I plan on bringing the yak with me, doing the gig, then head up to the OC area to fish the night out. I'll probably launch at BP. Anyone else going to be in the area? I'll be in a yellow Caper atop my brand new Caliber.
    Al Koz

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Koz View Post
    Looking for a spot to do some crabbing with my kayak. Anyone know of a spot that I can hand line and get some crabs without fighting the tide to much? Capemay /wildwood our the ocean city area. Thanks guys
    Doesn't matter where you launch just find yourself a feeder creek off of a main waterway and the currents are usually not bad. You may have to limit yourself to the end of the incoming and the 1st half of the outgoing so you have enough water to move around in. You have A Hobie so you should not have any problems until the water gets too low.

Thanks waterbug, I got my chicken necks ready and was planning on going saturday late in the day but the weather got bad so I bought a half bushel of #1's for 45$ I think I'm going to go one day after work this week. Thanks again

Tom, call me. We're going to be in OC Thurs thru Sunday.
    Al Koz

I use a short piece of a swimming noodle with the hand lines. And I found topless crab traps in delaware that store on the kayak really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwoodbays View Post
    I use a short piece of a swimming noodle with the hand lines. And I found topless crab traps in delaware that store on the kayak really well.
    thats how I do it. You can stack 10 traps eazy

went crabbing yesterday while crabbing I caught 1 kingfish and 2 eels in my traps. After catching enough crabs for dinner I decided to take a ride and look for some Perch.

While on the troll my stearing started to act up, so I used the paddle as a rudder and kept fishing. Had a few bites and managed to get 1.