Fish finder mounting details.

Thread: Fish finder mounting details.

Default Fish finder mounting details.

Hello everyone, i have had my old town vapor for sometime now and have decided to hook it up with a fish finder. I got a simple hummingbird 170 piranha max. i purchased the transducer mounting kit and installed it, but havent yet applied the goop/puddy and installed the transducer. I would like to know if the goop/puddy will leak out at all if turned on its side considering that is how it is transported. i will just be disconnecting the unit from the transducer between transportation. another concern i have is my battery, i have it mounted behind my seat with Velcro, but not sure if i should leave it exposed. hope someone can help! thanks all

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

For a battery box I use a pelican box as they are waterproof...that way you can just mount it and forget it. For the transducer I like using lexel for bedding and it doesn't move...no matter what I do.
    -Jeremy
    Native Prostaff

Walmart has watertight boxes in camping section, they have 2 sizes. The larger size will fit the 12v 7-8ah batteries. Inside the box I wrapped the battery using the thin foam that's used for sill plates in construction. It makes for a tighter fit of the battery.

You can wire the battery through the side of the box using something like 10/24 studs, one for positive and one for neg.. Alligator clips on the FF wire for connection.

I've used this little two wire plug that's sold for use with items like this, watertight female with cover and a male end that's rubber surround. If you buy a second male end you can wire it to your small plug in charger and charge the battery without removing it from the case.

There's also a small connector thats two wire and looks like a trailer wiring harness, works just a well too.

To fasten the box in place use Velcro, zip ties and come up with a different idea that keeps it in place.
    You can observe a lot by just watching.
    - Yogi Berra

I used goop to install my transducer. like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S70j...layer_embedded
    or try this link if the first one did not work http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-Finder/Detail scroll down to the video.

I installed the goop just like this guy does. it is important to make one continuous spread of goop on the transducer- do not make pockets of air, and let it stand for 24 hours. Once it is cured it wont move.
    For battery box I bought a cheap water proof box from amazon for $11. see the pics. I made a shelf in my bow hatch and mounted with velcro. You should have your battery protected and you should also have an inline fuse so you dont ruin your FF. It is a good idea to put a quick connect connector so you can disconnect your battery after each use to prevent your wires from corroding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-12 16.20.25.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	57042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-12 16.20.14.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	57043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-12 18.36.21.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	57044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-12 18.36.33.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	57045  

If you bang a Goop installed transducer hard enough it may not visibly pop off like with epoxy but it will rip up and thin pocket of air will ruin the signal. I have reinstalled many of them. Use duck seal putty. You can hit as many rocks and logs as you please.

Barrell Surf & Kayak
    Phone: (609) 513-1680

Proud Supporter Of The Bass Barn!

thanks everyone, ill be sure to try the duct seal if the goop fails from the hummingbird mounting kit. hopefully i can get a solid reading on my first try.

Quote Originally Posted by barrell View Post
    If you bang a Goop installed transducer hard enough it may not visibly pop off like with epoxy but it will rip up and thin pocket of air will ruin the signal. I have reinstalled many of them. Use duck seal putty. You can hit as many rocks and logs as you please.
    hmmm, maybe a good idea to wrap the transducer with duct seal to keep the good seal I have with goop....

Better to redo if the goop ever tears up. It whats underneath the transducer that matters

Barrell Surf & Kayak

So i can put the duct seal between my transducer and kayak hull? i would have never bought the mounting kit if i knew that. Is the duct seal reusable if i want to detach the transducer from time to time?

Yep. Just peel it up and press it back down. The density is closer to water then silicone or goop. I think thats why you end up with such a clean signal.

Barrell Surf & Kayak

Awesome! ill get some, do they sell it at home depo or anything?

Yes, also at any hardware store in the electrical section. "duc seal'

Barrell Surf & Kayak

I may try that stuff as a temp situation in my jetski for my sounder...trying to decide between through hull and transom. I still like lexel for the permanent attachment, nice thing is that it doesn't absorb signal like silicone
    -Jeremy
    Native Prostaff

now is it a must that i have my battery dry at all times?

Depends on how long you want it to last. The thin wires and connectors wont last long in moisture.

Barrell Surf & Kayak