+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dozer 277

Thread: newbie

Default newbie

I finally got my first kayak. I will be taking it out in the local river until I feel comfortable with it. I have been following the posts about what to bring and how to start. I am looking forward to meeting some new people and finding a place closer to home to fish. I have been going to IBSP for the last 10 years and more often than not I sit on the beach and watch the fish busting out of reach. I will be looking for places to launch it in the bay. I am not familiar with the Raritan bay at all as most of my fishing has been much further south. as the spring run approaches I hope to connect with some of you and develop some knowledge. merry Christmas and happy new year to all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Best thing about the kayak is theres tons of places to explore!!

You have Round Valley and Spruce run in your neck of the woods, two great locations to get started.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

yes they are very close. I am looking for recommendations on a PFD. something that allows comfort and freedom of movement. also what do you guys use for a fishfinder. something that doesn't cost a fortune and is fairly easy to use. the kayak is already wired for a hummingbird but im not opposed to changing it out if I cant get something compatible. also what battery do you use for them.

I prefer a inflatable PFD I hardly know I'm wearing it.A 7AH battery should be more then enough to run most fish finders. Myself I prefer Humminbird over others. I like the plug being protected in the base mount.
    Owner of Kayakselfrescueladder.com
    Native Watercraft Pro-Staff
    volunteer guide for Heroes on the Water

thanks waterbug (fitting name) im not familiar with the inflatable ones. are they manual or water activated? I'm looking at the PiranhaMAX 197c DI Fishfinder its inexpensive and small. one more question (I promise) if the mounting holes are different from the ones already drilled for the last guys fishfinder what do I fill them with? or doesn't it matter? sorry im just anxious to use it May is a long way away.
    BEER MAN likes this.

The inflatable PFD's usually come setup to be activated automatically. I disabled the Auto inflate in use the manual if needed. If you stop by one of the local kayak outfitters in the area and talk nice to them you can probably get a piece of scrap plastic and melt it into the previously drilled holes. I believe Hobie sells a overpriced plastic welding kit if you want to go that way or just let the shop do the repair and install all at once. As far as fish finder features you may want to think about GPS! Great feature to have if you go out at night, want to go exploring new waters or get caught in the fog. Chart Plotting is awesome to have when exploring new bodies of water. You can instantly see where drop offs, flats and channels are without wasting time searching.

okay more questions, I got a mustang PFD, I love those bass pro points. now a fishfinder. any suggestions. im looking at all the different ones and there are way too many to choose from. I'm mounting the transducer in the belly of the kayak the previous owner has the foam block in there. is there a unit that works better with the transducer mounted there or are they all the same.

Humminbird does have a different transducer designed for inside the hull. IMO,you go so slow in a kayak it doesn't make any noticeable difference. The only issue with mounting inside the hull is your temps will be off. In the summer during the day the inside of your hull will warm up from the sun and effect the readings.

rob

I know some will argue, but for a PFD, either it's autoinflate is active, or it's a regular PFD. On a Kayak in particular (and I think about this even on a boat) what happens if you have a manual-only inflate PFD, you fall over get hit in the head and go unconscious, either completely or dazed enough to be incapacitated for a time? You will drown. A PFD does no good, unless it can help in those circumstances.

S**t happens, just be aware.

Of course, YMMV, C'est la vie, whatever floats your boat. I just don't wear a PFD that won't work without intervention on my part... but that's me.

Congrats on the yak. Practice dumping and getting back in, even if a SOT. Assume everything can and will go overboard if not lashed down or secured. It will happen at the worst time.

Use a paddle leash.

Have fun!

edit: and don't try anchoring in current unless you really think it through, practice in slow current, and know how to get offhook in a hurry.

------------

Rob

Rule #1 always wear a PFD!
    Rule #2 go with a buddy and let someone else know where you are.
    Rule #3 ALWAYS be aware of whats going on around you as far as you can see.
    Rule #4 If you get run over you probably deserve it. Dont think you have the right of way the boater are bigger and can not always stop.

If you follow rule 3 you should never even be close to getting hit on the head.

If I left my PFD on auto it would go off unnecessarily 3-4 times a year then I would need to replace the air cylinder each time.

rob

Quote Originally Posted by waterbug View Post
    Rule #1 always wear a PFD!
    Rule #2 go with a buddy and let someone else know where you are.
    Rule #3 ALWAYS be aware of whats going on around you as far as you can see.
    Rule #4 If you get run over you probably deserve it. Dont think you have the right of way the boater are bigger and can not always stop.

If you follow rule 3 you should never even be close to getting hit on the head

If I left my PFD on auto it would go off unnecessarily 3-4 times a year then I would need to replace the air cylinder each time.
    you're very experienced, and for most sw areas it may not apply but I've seen folks yakking murky backbay areas ( and by folks I had a stern talk with my daughter and friend about this... Yakking with no PFDs at all) with submerged pilings, riprap or in varying depths where an unexpected dumping could cause you to hit your head and well, your buddy may not reach you in time to be any good.

Just call me ultra conservative but I'd pay for new cartridges
    And in fact I don't yak or go on a PWC with an inflatable for this reason.

I do have an auto inflatable when out solo on a boat, depending on how I'm fishing and conditions.

------------

Rob

thanks guys good info. I plan on spending a lot of time in the river by my house until I am comfortable with going in salt water. its a hobie outback SOT ive tried one in florida and it seems very stable but I didn't push the limits and try to tip it. there's sharks and alligators there LOL. as far as the fishfinder im going to look at the different ones and start with a simple one with GPS. hopefully by next summer I will be able to hook up with someone from here and get some education.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.