Powder Paint Fluid Bed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Paint Fluid Bed

Banned

Default Powder Paint Fluid Bed

This is my first post in this forum. I just finished making my own fluid bed for about $20 and thought I would share in case it is helpful to anyone. I read quite a few online tutorials on how to make one and then ended up going with my own design. I just did a test run and it works like a charm.

Here's what I bought for supplies:
    -2" flex coupling (hardware store)
    -2" male pvc plug (hardware store)
    -2" pvc pipe (hardware store)
    -3/16" x 3/16" brass tubing fitting (hardware store)
    -vaccuum bags (Walmart)
    - aquarium air pump (Walmart)
    - aquarium pump tubing (Walmart)
    - masking tape

This actually seems like it was easier to do than on the other tutorials I saw. I put the 2" plug in one end of the flex coupling and tightened the clamp. I then drill a hole slightly higher in the flex coupling than the end of the plug sits. I put one end of the brass fitting in there. I attached the tubing to the brass fitting and then the other end to the aquarium pump. Next I cut the a 4" length of the pvc pipe. I covered one end with a cut out section of the vaccuum cleaner bag so that there was enough to run slightly up the sides. I then taped the section of vaccuum bag onto the pipe. Then the pipe goes into the other end of the flex coupling with the bag part facing down. Finally I tighten the other end of the flex couple clamp.

I actually saw a few benefits to going with the flex coupling instead of PVC fittings: 1. Since it is rubber there was no need to put sealant around where the brass fitting enters it. 2. Since the clamp created the seal I didn't have to worry about how tight the fit of the "cup" was going to be with the tape and vaccuum bag wrapped up the sides. 3. The cup is much easier to get out than in a traditional pvc fitting since the clamp can be loosened or tightened.

Here's a pic of the finished product:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fluid bed.jpg 
Views:	807 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	55170  
    Last edited by Fish On!; 03-10-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Fixed Size of fitting

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I'm interested in trying to make one. Any chance you could get a larger picture and even better a Youtube video showing all sides. Have you made anything with it yet? Really cool it is a real pain dipping them in the powder. Thank you for your efforts and posting.

Banned

I actually only have a cell phone camera. I'll try to get some better pictures and upload them.

I haven't made anything yet, but I did load it up with powder paint and turn it on. It definitely makes the paint "floaty", if that's a real word. I'm pouring lead this week. I debated on whether to go 2" or 3". I decided on 2" since I'm not going to be painting anything huge and it would take a ton more powder to fill up the cup. Also I was afraid that the pump wouldn't be as effective on a 3" version, but it might be.

Banned

Here you go:

Name:	fb1.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	55172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fb2.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	55173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fb3.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	55174   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fb4.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	55175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fb5.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	55176  

Banned

and one more

Name:	fb6.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	55177  

Banned

Another note: I'm starting out with the powder paint from harbor freight, since it's cheap. I got 16 oz of white for $3.99 from there.

I also realized that powder paint is used in auto restoration. If you google "hot coat" you can find powder paint a lot cheaper than what they sell it for on tackle making supply sites (disclaimer: I haven't bought or used any of it yet, but plan to)

Thanks for the pics, made it a lot clearer. Can't wait to see how they turn out .

Banned

Just thought I'd give a quick update. The fluid bed worked great. I tied up a few today. Now I just have another 196 to put tails on.

Name:	bucktail.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	55698  

You hit a home run, they look great, thanks for the update.

Great thread!

Fish Poison Custom Rods - By Kevin Bogan.
    212 Broadway Point Pleasant Beach N.J. 08742
    732 892 8822 kevin@kevinbogans.com
    AVET ~ SHIMANO ~ Penn
    ~ Killin' Fish for a long, long time ~
    Fishing Rods = Made in America
    "Dead Fish Don't Swim"

Banned

Thanks fellas. I'm going to have to take up hunting to come up with enough hair for all these tails.

I looked at my dog last night thinking: "I wish you were a white dog instead of black"

E-mail sent
    Absecon Bay Saltwater Sportsman Association 2nd place Fluke 2013- I am learning
    GABT Flounder Division 1st Place 2010
    Proud Pop of 9 yr old Ashley-Chelsea Cup Series Winner in Fluke Division,Proud Mary's Sports Bar & Kelly's Corner Pub for 2011 and proud dad of Shawn who won the other leg The Elk's & The Chelsea cup.
    Proud dad of Lorie who showed us she can fish with a 34.60 LB. 43 inch Striper, HER FIRST
    Now if only,I could learn from my offspring

Has anyone tried any of the UV colors? So far i've only used regular colors and was wondering if anyone has had any experience fishing with the UV . Wanna know if it works better

Plenty of ways to skin a cat. Powder paint is powder paint. Fishing powder paint is a rip off. I use the coupler that is epoxied to a board for stability. I used a brass pinch valve that i screwed into a slightly smaller diameter hole so there was no need to use any sealant at all. The nice thing about the pinch valve is it gives you the ability to adjust airflow if your pump does not. I like the vacuum bag idea I will have to give that a try. I have been using "automotive" powder paint for years, again, powder paint is powder paint.
    Last edited by Poopdeck; 04-01-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Been doing okay with the sandwich bags for filters on the fluid bed, 'til I tried it with flo. glow pink. Don't laugh too much, I have grand daughters who fish and it has to be pink. The pink would not bubble at all. Anyone know what filter type paper may work.
    Absecon Bay Saltwater Sportsman Association 2nd place Fluke 2013- I am learning
    GABT Flounder Division 1st Place 2010
    Proud Pop of 9 yr old Ashley-Chelsea Cup Series Winner in Fluke Division,Proud Mary's Sports Bar & Kelly's Corner Pub for 2011 and proud dad of Shawn who won the other leg The Elk's & The Chelsea cup.
    Proud dad of Lorie who showed us she can fish with a 34.60 LB. 43 inch Striper, HER FIRST
    Now if only,I could learn from my offspring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast