How do you use GRASS SHRIMP for bait....
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you use GRASS SHRIMP for bait....

Sicklerville/Manahawkin Bay, Manahawkin NJ

Default How do you use GRASS SHRIMP for bait....

I've been catching a pretty good amount of grass shrimp in my umbrella drop net, and was wondering how to USE THEM for bait... I know they must be TASTY LITTLE MORSALS...!! Chunking mentioned it in his thread....!!! But, I am not sure HOW to use them.... or for what type of fish...
    I am all NEW to this salt water fishing thing..!!
    Boat Name: Chief's Mess

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

a good method in certain areas is chumming them and throw a couple on your hook and try your best to float it with the chum

Default Grass Shrimp

Any SPECIFIC way to hook these little guys..?? What size hook do you use...??
    And Thanks btw.!!!

Hey,

here's a reply to a grass shrimp question someone else had. I just copied and pasted for you

Hey guys, just a few notes on grass shrimp

The poster was correct, catch a fluke, weakfish, blue, scup, porgy, striper, you name it and there will probably be grass shrimp in the belly. They love them. I'm guessing that in fish language, grass shrimp is the same as potato chip.

I have a long history of using the grass shrimp for bait. My dad showed me how to catch them in the navesink river some 40 years ago. I've caught 30 lb stripers, 15 lb weakies, and 15 lb blues with them. But the single biggest fluke I've ever caught, he too came on shrimp.

It's amazing really. These little guys are 3/4 of an inch long. You wonder how the fish find them. Yet we consistently put big fish in the boat using them. I often chum with them, and they will bring all manner of fish.

If you want to try something Fun, get 4 or 5 quarts of shrimp, and set up on the anchor in your favorite "spot".

it's important to know your water depth. Lets say you're on a channel edge, and you're lucky enough for the tide to be going right along that edge ( instead of across the channel). Let's assume the water is 6 feet deep. Take a bobber, and a number 1 baitholder hook. place the bobber on the line so that there is about 4 to 5 feet of line between the bobber and the hook. ( if you're doing the math, your hook will drift about a foot or so above the bottom)

Toss a handful of shrimp overboard about every minute for the first five minutes, then every 3 or four minutes. While doing that, put two to three shrimp on your hook, no weights ( except maybe for one small splitshot) and feed the line out so your bobber is drifting back at the same speed as the little hand fuls of shrimp chum.

You will be amazed at the size of the fluke you will catch doing this, despite the shrimp being 3/4 of an inch long. Don't be surprised if you catch several weakfish, and the occasional blue doing this.

Give it a try, and good luck
    Native American Indian Chief :
    "Be careful with your immigration laws. We were careless with ours

does it matter if the shrimp u use to chum are dead or alive?

I would imagine... they should be ALIVE..!!, or you wouldn't get any movement from them...????

They are jumpy little buggers...!!!

Hey FishHand

Yes it sure does. I've been playing this grass shrimp game for some 40+ years, and I've had a lot of time to try different things. So, let me try and help. ( Note I do the bulk of my shrimpin for weak fish)

you can buy frozen grass shrimp and they are indeed better than "nothing". But frankly "most of the time" they are a poor substitute for live. The reason I say most of the time is that they don't thaw particularly well. If they are frozen "wet" and allowed to thaw in say a bucket of water, you'll end up with the softest mushiest shrimp you can imagine, and their colors and scents are all washed out. they are basically worthless like that.

I've found the best way for me to thaw them where you might have a decent bait is to cut the bag off the frozen shrimp, and place the frozen block on a mesh grate in your bait fridge. The fridge will pull the moisture off them as they thaw and they'll remain a lot firmer than if you just leave them in a bucket. NEVER just put them underwater. Again, they'll mush out.

Live is best by far. At first it seems impossible to keep the little buggers alive, but that's not true at all. You can use a shrimp box of course, just as you would a killie car which you keep in the water for your killies. But if you use a shrimp box, just remember to stop every 6 to 8 minutes or so and toss the box in the water so they can get a drink. Once you anchor up, leave the box in the water and you're good to go.

But since you're going to use all your shrimp in about half a tide, all you need to do is keep them alive for a few hours. You need to buy them from your shrimper...and then get them to the fishing grounds, and keep them alive for the 2 to 2.5 hours you'll be using them. You can have pretty good luck with this method...put 4 or 5 frozen water bottles on the bottom of your cooler, and then cover them with many sheets of newspaper. Then dump your shrimp out on the newspaper.

They'll keep well like that, but as the paper gets wet, and it will, they'll become less frisky and eventually start to croak. For a creature that lives in the water, they don't like laying in the wet very much. 5 years ago I finally made a screen with legs that tightly fit my 48 qt cooler. That was the ticket. 5 frozen water bottles on the bottom, then my screen suspended on 5 legs about 2 inches above the ice bottles. As the shrimp produced their own water and waste, it dripped through the screen, and I had no problem keeping them alive for 6+ hours like that.

Hope that helps

Awesome info Reely Hooked. What do you need to catch them yourself?

thanks alot "reelyhooked", i am goin to give the shrimp chumming alot of tries this year. all this info really helps. Much appreciated!

Reelly Hooked, you should write a book on grass shrimping
    great info

Very interesting, Thank You

Default Hey Really Hooked!

Thatr was great info on keeping grass shrimp alive, but how do I catch the little bugges? I'm not much of a bait fisherman, usually preferring to throw plugs, but I have heard that grass shrimp are a dynamite way to catch weakies and would like to try it.
    SEA HUNTER

Easiest way for me is along the bulkheads at my marina, long handled fine mesh net. Couple of scoops and you'll get some, try aound the pilings also.

The problem with using shrimp is the volume of shrimp you need. For a typical weakfish outing we use 4 to 5 quarts of them.This is an amount thats not impossible to catch by hand with dip nets, but it's certainly not easy.

Your best bet is to find a shrimper and buy them from him. Second best would be a bait shop that carries them.

I've had success towing a small shrimp dredge, but it's work. If you aren't set up with the right sorting screens to separate the cabbage, crabs, small fish etc, so only the real shrimp are left, it's a mess.

My suggestion is to buy your first few loads, and then try your hand at self supply once you decide is shrimp fishing is your bag.

ReelyHooked....
    AWESOME INFO.... I love it...!!! But,,, what size hook do you use when you're using shrimp for live bait... and most importantly... WHERE and HOW do ya hook those "little buggers"...??
    Thanks for all the valuable info.. it's great.... I would love to learn more about the SHRIMP KEEPER BOXES and KELLY CARS.... Do ya buy them or do ya make your own..?? Do ya have any pix... of them... or perhaps some specs...for building my own..????
    This is GREAT.... I've learned so much.... thanks again...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.