local mussels good for eating??
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: local mussels good for eating??

Default local mussels good for eating??

are the mussels you find on the local jetties/rocks the same as the ones we get at local restaurants?? (i assume not all mussel marinara's use PEI's)

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by catchhandrelease View Post
    are the mussels you find on the local jetties/rocks the same as the ones we get at local restaurants?? (i assume not all mussel marinara's use PEI's)
    good question , I always thought they were, but I am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by roctheboat aka pigpen View Post
    good question , i always thought they were, but i am not sure.
    i wouldn't eat them.
    WHAT ALL BUT ABOUT 6 BARNERS BELIEVE
    DALLAS SUCKS

A friend at my dock ate them all the time from the pilings. Don't know if there good for you.

Shellfish License Information
    A clamming license is now called a shellfish license and is required for harvesting of all species of benthic mollusks (with the exception of conchs, addressed in the commercial marine fisheries regulations), including, but not limited to, hard and soft clams, surf clams, oysters, bay scallops and mussels.

Lifetime Resident Senior Clam Licenses sold prior to June 17, 2008, have been expanded to include all molluscan (shellfish) species, with the exception of conchs, which are addressed in the commercial marine fisheries regulations. In addition, a new Non-resident Commercial Shellfish License has been established.

Other specific commercial shellfish licenses exist such as surf clam dredge, Delaware Bay oyster dredge boat, and Delaware Bay licenses to harvest in Areas 1, 2 and 3.

Prior to harvesting any shellfish, be certain to consult the Shellfish Growing Water Classification Charts published by DEP’s Bureau of Marine Water Monitoring, available at any shellfish license agent, state shellfish offices, marine police station, online at www.nj.gov/dep/bmw/waterclass.htm or call the Bureau of Marine Water Monitoring at 609-748-2000.

Resident Recreational Shellfish License $10.00
    Resident Senior (62 and older) Recreational Shellfish License $2.00
    Juvenile (under 14 years of age) Recreational Shellfish License (Resident/Non-Resident)$2.00
    Non-Resident Recreational Shellfish License$20.00

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/marin....htm#shellfish
    Rather be diving.

I don't know if inshore mussels are good to eat. However I do rack about 50-100lbs of mussels and have a big mussel party every year. I take the mussels from the highest points(furthest away from the sand) of wrecks in Shark River Reef 16 miles offshore. I figure the water is cleaner there with the deep water and stronger currents. Once we get them up to the boat we put them into a heavy mesh bag tie them to about 12 feet of line and drag the mussels behind the boat for about 2 miles. This will force the mussels to open up and filter any debris they may have closed up in them example moss. They are delicious!!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGESTJACK View Post
    i wouldn't eat them.
    OK, there's a first for everything! If BIGGESTJACK says he wouldn't eat them, that ought to be enough!!!!
    West Wildwood - Where every home is waterfront..... sometimes!

TEAM SCRAPPLE

PROUD MEMBER OF THE ANCIENT MARINERS!

RY - Really missing you

I eat them - Just be sure to have a shellfish license and harvest them in the areas on the map that show they are safe to eat. The state spends a lot of time testing the water and listing where they are safe. The ones we buy in the stores are raised just for market, therefore they are young and tender. The ones in the tidal creeks may be tougher due to sucking saltwater for ten years -
    Fifty Third Hundreth Generation Human Being

Are the mussels we use for winter flounder bait the same as the mussels humans eat?

It is illegal to take clams or mussels from below docks because testing has showed that the chemicals that leach out of the pilings collect in the meat of the clams and mussels.

Barrell Surf & Kayak
    Phone: (609) 513-1680

Proud Supporter Of The Bass Barn!

ive taken the lil ones that grow on jetties when im tog fishin and have chewed on them before for shits n giggles... havent killed me yet.

Capt. Brian Williams
    www.chazmancharters.com
    www.facebook.com/chazmancharters
    bwilliams@chazmancharters.com

Ocean City & Barnegat, NJ
    Light Tackle Backbay, Inshore and Offshore Charters

32ft Chazman - Offshore Canyon and Trophy Striped Bass trips
    19ft Badfish - Backbay Ocean City light tackle trips for striped bass, tog, flounder

Good point Barrell i'll pass it on.

Spring Hill, Florida - Cape May Court House, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by catchhandrelease View Post

I asked a chef buddy in CMCH about this and he said no. He told me that they are edible but have a beard that needs to be removed, it looks like seaweed.
    I dedicate my retirement to the memory of Izaak Walton who thoughtfully declared what so many of us would most like to repeat:
    "I HAVE LAID ASIDE BUSINESS, AND GONE FISHING."

Parris Island, Class of 82.

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really. ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

fazshell@comcast.net

Whats the difference between eating local clams and local mussels??? They are both filter feeders...

Spring Hill, Florida - Cape May Court House, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by swab1985 View Post
    Whats the difference between eating local clams and local mussels??? They are both filter feeders...

I know people who eat both with no problems, I was told the only difference between the local mussels and commercially harvested stuff was the beard that needs to be removed.
    I dedicate my retirement to the memory of Izaak Walton who thoughtfully declared what so many of us would most like to repeat:
    "I HAVE LAID ASIDE BUSINESS, AND GONE FISHING."

Parris Island, Class of 82.

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really. ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

fazshell@comcast.net

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.