Fishbites - Clam

Thread: Fishbites - Clam

Default Fishbites - Clam

For the past week and a half I have been fishing for spot off the end of our dock. Pretty decent action but it's not nonstop by any means. So far we have put up over 250 in our live tanks for striper season.

We are using either one or two hook rigs. Sabiki were more of a problem with tangles plus baby bluefish were always wacking the top hooks. I picked up a pack of size 10 long shank hooks and they seem to work best. We have been using Fishbites and clam for bait and the clam is kicking the Fishbites arse. About three to one on the spots. I take the tongue and abductor meat and chop it up. When I finish fishing I toss it in the water to seed the area. Using the mushy part for bait and the spot love it. Little more work than the Fishbites but at the dock it seems to pay off.

Only real drawback to the clam is it has caught some of the largest nastiest eels we have seen here. Still a ton of fun on light tackle. Eels are the only fish that can swim as fast backwards as they can foreward. They just reverse their S move and it's off to the races.

Spot are spotty back here. We hit five or six real quick then have to wait for a half hour or so for more to move in. Once in a while larger numbers arrive but mostly it's groups of six. Figure this will keep up until the first real chilly night. The spots will still be here but just not in the shallows around the dock.
    Opening day 2015 Flounder Tournament. NO BONES BAIT & TACKLE IN WILDWOOD. OPEN EVERY DAY EXCEPT CHRISTMAS. LIVE AND FROZEN BAIT. 17FT. CAROLINA SKIFF RENTAL BOATS. Charter boats. Secret maps. Hand tied striper, flounder, Tog, Kingfish and Seabass rigs. Do you think someone in China cares if you lose your big fish? Over 50 years of fishing knowledge passed on freely to all who stop in or email their questions. LETS GO FISHING. 609-522-3017 email wwcnj@yahoo.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Fish bites are great for spot, but I have to agree that real bait can give you an edge.

I caught a ton of spot in the surf on Saturday. Literally, every cast, instant spot, if not 2. I was using both fish bites and live bloodworms, and both worked pretty much the same. Also got some in the cast net. The surf is a good place right now to make sure you get a lot of spot, BUT the hauling back and forth is a major pain in the ass. Well, after my 3rd trip back from the beach, I decided to "take a break" and take the boat for a spin, tried a nearby creek mouth for spots. Only caught 2 (not sure why they werent there, I usually do okay there). So I came back to the dock anticipating another trip to the beach. But before I got in my car, I dropped a line in next to the bulkhead, bang, bang... 2 spot at once! First time I had caught them at my new marina (my old marina was the honey hole a couple years ago). So I had 2 dozen LIVE BLOODWORMS left with me, and cut them in little tiny pieces, went through the 2 dozen in 1 hour of non-stop spot catching. Once I was out of the real bloods, I switched to fish bites, and although I still was able to catch a few, my numbers went down considerably. For some reason I think the real bloods kept the school around longer. It saved me another trip to the beach, just had to make a few 30 yard trips with my bucket to my boat instead!

I also caught a pretty large dogfish, surpised the hell out of me when it took off like a rocket.

fred...just wanted to say thanks for the talk. Was down with you on the end of the dock this week and witnessed you catching spot after spot. Great advice and my daughter had fun catching spot off the bulkhead down our way. Great guy and great advice. harry gave me my first Gryo this week too! good stuff.

Fred...giving you an udate on our back bay trip. We stopped buy around 8:30 pm Saturday.
    Went out around 6:30 am and caught six spot. Then we went to the area we were talking about. There was a ton of activity (baitfish) thought we going to be in for some real action on the outgoing. But, unfortunatley we did not get any takers.
    moved up the creek and my cousin caught a needle fish. There were needle fish jumping out of the water eating the minnows. Once the tide slowed and the bait fish left. We had the right bait the right spot but the wrong time of the year! I guess?

I appreciate all the info though!
    Next time the big ones might be there!

Thanks

Steve G.

If I ever get my boat back maybe I can start filling the bait pen.
    George

DoubleG
    GNeuberger@verizon.net
    255 Steiger Craft
    Bree-Zee-Lee Marina
    Dock G

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleG View Post
    If I ever get my boat back maybe I can start filling the bait pen.
    George
    Gotta love those Jasper Engines
    Capt Scott Pierce Tuna Chic
    2009--2010--2012 Duke of Fluke wins 2014--2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by captainbadfinger View Post
    Gotta love those Jasper Engines
    OK Scott
    Don't go there.
    I'll post the "end results" and then send Jasper a link to the thread.

DoubleG
    GNeuberger@verizon.net
    255 Steiger Craft
    Bree-Zee-Lee Marina
    Dock G

Can't seem to find the spots but loaded up on Cape May Goodies the other day!
    West Wildwood - Where every home is waterfront..... sometimes!

TEAM SCRAPPLE

PROUD MEMBER OF THE ANCIENT MARINERS!

RY - Really missing you

Got here this morning and hit the dock. Caught ten spots real quick. Two hook rig. One hook with clam the other with Fishbites. Clam 8 Fishbites 2.

Yesterday was great. Spots off the dock and netted mullet along the rocks.
    Opening day 2015 Flounder Tournament. NO BONES BAIT & TACKLE IN WILDWOOD. OPEN EVERY DAY EXCEPT CHRISTMAS. LIVE AND FROZEN BAIT. 17FT. CAROLINA SKIFF RENTAL BOATS. Charter boats. Secret maps. Hand tied striper, flounder, Tog, Kingfish and Seabass rigs. Do you think someone in China cares if you lose your big fish? Over 50 years of fishing knowledge passed on freely to all who stop in or email their questions. LETS GO FISHING. 609-522-3017 email wwcnj@yahoo.com

rob

I thought this thread was going to be about a Fishbite-Clamflavor product

I've still been fishing bloods, but will have to try clam bits for spot next.
    "Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power." -- Ben Franklin

------------

Rob