Weakies
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weakies

Default Weakies

About a month ago someone called me out about my weakfish stories. Something about surveys showing that the young weakfish are scarce. Right now I can catch all the baby weakfish I want out my front door right off the dock. Small hook and tiny minnow and I can catch them like sunfish in a pond. There are so many that if I can't stand there constantly holding the rod I won't even put the line in the water. Thats how fast the hits come.

Now I know I'm only fishing in one little piece of water but it can't be the only spot in South Jersey holding baby weakfish. Every year it's like this. Can only imagine how many must be down there.

Pretty soon the peanut bunker will start showing at the dock and that will bring in the larger weakies and there must be larger weakies around to make all the small weakies.

Notice the size of the minnow this weakie went after. Just as nasty as a striper when it comes to appetite. The guy who doubted me asked for pictures so this is the first one. I won't post any more of the small ones because it's off the hook and back in the water as fast as possible. I will post pics as we start hitting the larger fish off the dock.

Opening day 2015 Flounder Tournament. NO BONES BAIT & TACKLE IN WILDWOOD. OPEN EVERY DAY EXCEPT CHRISTMAS. LIVE AND FROZEN BAIT. 17FT. CAROLINA SKIFF RENTAL BOATS. Charter boats. Secret maps. Hand tied striper, flounder, Tog, Kingfish and Seabass rigs. Do you think someone in China cares if you lose your big fish? Over 50 years of fishing knowledge passed on freely to all who stop in or email their questions. LETS GO FISHING. 609-522-3017 email wwcnj@yahoo.com ​BIGGESTJACK is my buddy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I was catching them in the surf like crazy 2 wks ago. S of OC N of Sea Isle.
    Welfare is NOT A CAREER

I lock my doors for your protection not mine!

thanks for the report "chunking"

Default peanut bunker

I picked up some peanut bunker in a cast net last night by the Rio Grand bridge.

always a good sign to see so many babies, just hope that they get a good chance to grow up

turn the poachers in & stop the waste

just a little more C&R
    let fishin be fun
    KILL ONLY WHAT YOU EAT
    BUY AMERICAN

For that guy you mentioned…

I have been using the float rigs you set me up with a couple yrs back. After you find the right depth with small minnows for bait you can have constant action in any quiet piece of water. My nephews borrowed my float rigs to use back home on Raystown Lake so it’s time for me to restock.
    Legal Reform
    Reduce the numbers of Lawyers in Public Office

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus

Fred, This is great info. I can't believe that little guy went after a minnow like that. Cool.

-Matt

Just caught five in about three minutes. Put the rod away after that.
    Opening day 2015 Flounder Tournament. NO BONES BAIT & TACKLE IN WILDWOOD. OPEN EVERY DAY EXCEPT CHRISTMAS. LIVE AND FROZEN BAIT. 17FT. CAROLINA SKIFF RENTAL BOATS. Charter boats. Secret maps. Hand tied striper, flounder, Tog, Kingfish and Seabass rigs. Do you think someone in China cares if you lose your big fish? Over 50 years of fishing knowledge passed on freely to all who stop in or email their questions. LETS GO FISHING. 609-522-3017 email wwcnj@yahoo.com ​BIGGESTJACK is my buddy.

nice job

Caught this 15" one behind sea isle Tuesday

Egg Harbor Township, NJ & Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

FYI that's not a weakie, it's a sand perch.

It is amazing how many species of fish come through the back bays..

I FISH ..I VOTE..

Quote Originally Posted by WreckinBall View Post
    FYI that's not a weakie, it's a sand perch.
    I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to be the first to say it.

2004 Sailfish 234 2004 200 Yamaha HPDI
    1978 14' Mirrocraft 2000 15 Johnson

Pretty sure silver (sand) perch don't have the two 'fang' teeth like you can see in the pic...

it is a weakfish
    no doubt about it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.