What Will Be The Fate Of Mystic Island?
Page 1 of 255 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: What Will Be The Fate Of Mystic Island?

Default What Will Be The Fate Of Mystic Island?

So Mystic is trashed (as are MANY other towns). With rare exception, ALL the homes are still standing, but every last one of them needs to be gutted to some extent. 4 feet at a minimum. Floor to ceiling to really do the renovation right.

- There are many weekenders here who may not care that much.
    - There are many old timers here who own their home and did not have flood insurance.
    - There are many here who are VERY upside down on a vacation home they purchased and can't afford to fix on their dime.

Is this a formula for a town to die?

Does Mystic get completely gutted, and then rebuilt all nice and new? Maybe a good deal of homes on pilings?

Or does Mystic become a ghost town of rotting shells (gutted homes) and die?

I guess the insurance money (for those of us that had flood insurance) and the FEMA money will ultimately make that call for us, but as of now, what do you initially plan on doing?

Rebuild bigger and better? Risk investing even more in a little town that may die? Go all in and do your part to MAKE the town succeed?

MAJOR storms 2 years in a row. Is mother nature telling us it's time to look elsewhere?

Can't do much right now but gut and reinsulate, but my wife and I are spending pretty much all day every day talking about this, and we feel like we can't have an intelligent conversation about because there are just SO MANY unknowns.

(I know there are many towns in the same shape, and even worse shape. I'm not looking to dismiss them in any way, and am only focusing on Mystic because the town I am very familiar with.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

i think people will eventually rebuild. there will always be people who love spending their time on the water down the shore and that won't change. people who can afford to rebuild will and iam sure many places will be complete losses and sold as a building lot. all the newer homes are on stilts and iam sure any new future homes will be higher up too. it will probally be years, but i think in the long term the area will be rebuilt bigger .

what i see happening (i dont have a house down the shore) is people getting there money and buying in other areas not affected and a lot of shore towns being built over again.. i see shore properties that were not affected selling for a premium.. so people dont have to go threw the rebuilding... it will be rebuilt but will it ever be the same?

I'm sure some people will let their property just go...but for the most part people want to go to the shore..so it will be back in full force joey
    tight lines
    & screamin reels

if you won't stand behind our troops
    feel free to stand in front of them

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson.

24ft wellcraft airslot(under construction)
    18 ceebee avenger

The short answer is, Mystic will rebuild, it will not die. That being said, I believe it will take a long time. Just be prepared for lots of changes. There will be new construction and new people, you might not like it.
    I like to look at positives. The new construction may bring new marinas, restaurants and stores. It may develop into a more year round community. It has to get better.
    Those, like yourself, who have the assets to rebuild will, but might not stay long. Those that do not have the assets will have to sell which will create opportunities for others. Good Luck.
    Now if you can get rid of the greenies, it will be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyZac View Post
    So Mystic is trashed (as are MANY other towns). With rare exception, ALL the homes are still standing, but every last one of them needs to be gutted to some extent. 4 feet at a minimum. Floor to ceiling to really do the renovation right.

- There are many weekenders here who may not care that much.
    - There are many old timers here who own their home and did not have flood insurance.
    - There are many here who are VERY upside down on a vacation home they purchased and can't afford to fix on their dime.

Is this a formula for a town to die?

Does Mystic get completely gutted, and then rebuilt all nice and new? Maybe a good deal of homes on pilings?

Or does Mystic become a ghost town of rotting shells (gutted homes) and die?

I guess the insurance money (for those of us that had flood insurance) and the FEMA money will ultimately make that call for us, but as of now, what do you initially plan on doing?

Rebuild bigger and better? Risk investing even more in a little town that may die? Go all in and do your part to MAKE the town succeed?

MAJOR storms 2 years in a row. Is mother nature telling us it's time to look elsewhere?

Can't do much right now but gut and reinsulate, but my wife and I are spending pretty much all day every day talking about this, and we feel like we can't have an intelligent conversation about because there are just SO MANY unknowns.

(I know there are many towns in the same shape, and even worse shape. I'm not looking to dismiss them in any way, and am only focusing on Mystic because the town I am very familiar with.)
    Great points JZ, I think authorities need to be involved. The area needs to be examined,and people have to realize that it is an are where a town should not have been built in the first place. Man made lagoons and paved marsh is not an area to be in even in a modest storm. Homes on pilings at the least should be mandatory. This could easily happen again. I would hate to see that much heartache again. Its a shame and I feel terrible for all the people affected. Stay strong. As to your questions,only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Rich View Post
    The short answer is, Mystic will rebuild, it will not die. That being said, I believe it will take a long time. Just be prepared for lots of changes. There will be new construction and new people, you might not like it.
    I like to look at positives. The new construction may bring new marinas, restaurants and stores. It may develop into a more year round community. It has to get better.
    Those, like yourself, who have the assets to rebuild will, but might not stay long. Those that do not have the assets will have to sell which will create opportunities for others. Good Luck.
    Now if you can get rid of the greenies, it will be perfect.
    I think the problem may be new construction codes. Wich should be in place. All tear-downs re-built on pilings (minimum) And that will cost much more and knock many out of the game. So yes the demographics of the area is certain to change. Drainage will always be a problem, and if you really want to live in that area you must be able to deal with certain possibillities like losing property.

Property values will drop, people that can afford it will buy them up and invest the money to rebuild.....property values will go back up again. It's funny reading some of the posts. Compared to most areas, we faired pretty well. Some of the houses on pilings collapsed in some areas.

Default century22

"The area needs to be examined,and people have to realize that it is an are where a town should not have been built in the first place." - century22

Do you have similar feelings regarding every location damaged by Sandy?

I started rebuilding the day after the storm with minimal insurance coverage. I only have weekends to rebuild and I am doing most of the work myself. My goal is to be completed by Spring. I believe most will rebuild, some will sell and someone else will rebuild. Mystic is one of the few areas you can buy a home for a decent price and keep your boat right out back. I think you will see the area like most shore communities take off once the economy turns.

my wife and i are new to the area,closed on our house in mystic one month ago...we had 55 inches of water in the house ....everything trashed..this is a weekend retreat and we are insured,so we are a bit luckier than others...we fell horrible for the full time residents,some of who had no insurance...

houses on slabs should be on pilings...no sense getting flooded over and over...dont know what will be the outcome from flood coverage and fema...not cheap to rebuild or raise house up on pilings...alot of work ahead of us...i was hoping my first few posts were fishing reports and not related to a disaster.....met a lot of nice people in the area ...looking foward to our future here in mystic...things will work out

now we are wodering what our adjuster will tell us when they finally get here ...the walls,insulation,flooring,wiring,plumbing is shot as well as our water heater,furnace ,central air unit,stove,fridge,etc......lucky we did not get a chance to really furnish the place

did anyone get a damage estimate from an adjuster with 4ft. plus of water in their home??? i am too curious what the outcome will be...

thanks,
    nj

Quote Originally Posted by century22 View Post
    .........The area needs to be examined,and people have to realize that it is an are where a town should not have been built in the first place. Man made lagoons and paved marsh is not an area to be in even in a modest storm.........
    I don't know if I agree with that. This was the worst storm ever. I wasn't here in 1962, but people that were say this was worse. 1991 was another bad one, but not like this.

All homes built on pilings from day 1 (back in the 60's) would have prevented almost all damage to Mystic. Boats and docks are another matter.

So will they rebuild the town right this time. New construction on pilings? Or will FEMA, flood insurers, and homeowners like me cheap out and not learn?

(I would love to knock the home down and put it on pilings, but I don't have the money for that, and I doubt insurance will give it to me.)

Quote Originally Posted by nj-hookup View Post
    did anyone get a damage estimate from an adjuster with 4ft. plus of water in their home??? i am too curious what the outcome will be...
    I am in that boat and hired a public adjuster to fight that battle. Don't know it if was the right thing to do, but it's done. I'll certainly report back on the Barn when I get initial results, but I don't expect that to be any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic22 View Post
    "The area needs to be examined,and people have to realize that it is an are where a town should not have been built in the first place." - century22
    Do you have similar feelings regarding every location damaged by Sandy?
    Thats a great question, even Manhattan was hit hard. I know the Mystic area very well thats why I said what I said. My Grandparents bought the second house buit there. I would hate to see people go through that again. And it is true, by todays standards that area would not have been developed. I do not have all the answers. I wish the the best for all. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyZac View Post
    I don't know if I agree with that. This was the worst storm ever. I wasn't here in 1962, but people that were say this was worse. 1991 was another bad one, but not like this.

All homes built on pilings from day 1 (back in the 60's) would have prevented almost all damage to Mystic. Boats and docks are another matter.

So will they rebuild the town right this time. New construction on pilings? Or will FEMA, flood insurers, and homeowners like me cheap out and not learn?

(I would love to knock the home down and put it on pilings, but I don't have the money for that, and I doubt insurance will give it to me.)
    Joey, I feel for you and all who were hit there. Yes it was the worst ever. No doubt. Could it happen again??? Thats the chance for those who re-build and stay have to take. It could be built better? But who can afford that? Not many. Bottom line the whole thing sucks.

Page 1 of 255 1231151101 ... LastLast