Mussels For Bait?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mussels For Bait?

Default Mussels For Bait?

How wany of you guys use Mussels? We dissected a Tog a few weeks ago and he was full of baby Mussels. This guy must have been licking them rocks clean.So we decided to try a few Mussels.Got a few fish and found somethign else that worked for Tog. I used them once for Sheepshead in Florida and what we did was keep them on ice and the open up a little. STick the hook down into the mussels before he closes and when you hook him he closes on the line.Yup...The whole mussel. I also heard of cooking them from Obiwon...I know a few guys chum it but we fished them live and were hooking fish..Anyone else? Maybe they work for other stuff??

Attachment 73435
    Its 4:20 someplace.....
    Sharks have a week dedicated to him..AAAI-ISMA Certified Cycling Instructor
    AAAI-ISMA Certified Kick Box Instructor

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Tog are usually loaded with them. So you sent the mussell down shell and all and were able to hook em?
    ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by tysonjunior View Post
    Tog are usually loaded with them. So you sent the mussell down shell and all and were able to hook em?
    Yup...Lost a few too , I was using the Gammi I use for crabs and should have had a baitholder with a little longer shaft...But it was working...Most still came on Crabs, but we were experimenting!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by freaky One View Post
    Yup...Lost a few too , I was using the Gammi I use for crabs and should have had a baitholder with a little longer shaft...But it was working...Most still came on Crabs, but we were experimenting!!!!
    Thats what they're grazing on down there EA. I've always thought that crab is secondary in their diet. Its not too often I find crab in tog..either razor or bank mussels or nothing.

Very Proud Member of Team Canyon Reels..

If you persist in worrying about what happened at work, or the yard needs mowing, or what you’ve got to do next week, or something else, you might as well, load up and pick another day to fish. -BILL DANCE

Quote Originally Posted by mattlist View Post
    Thats what they're grazing on down there EA. I've always thought that crab is secondary in their diet. Its not too often I find crab in tog..either razor or bank mussels or nothing.
    Yup I here ya...Last weekend coming up...You Killin'?

Years ago we used to steam mussels and use them to catch king fish in Townsen Inlet.The mussels came from the sod banks.

Elastic "clam string" like you'd take surf fishing might be the ticket. Tap a raw mussel with a hammer, wrap to hook. I thought I had a spool of the stuff in my boat bag last week but it was actually where it belonged, in the surf bait bag, in the truck

"Our math shows that the bird is equal to, or greater than, the word"

Quote Originally Posted by glennexit13 View Post
    Elastic "clam string" like you'd take surf fishing might be the ticket. Tap a raw mussel with a hammer, wrap to hook. I thought I had a spool of the stuff in my boat bag last week but it was actually where it belonged, in the surf bait bag, in the truck
    I needed a bait holder hook...and a little more ice to keep them slightly open...Plus we had gourmet mussels ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by freaky One View Post
    Yup I here ya...Last weekend coming up...You Killin'?
    I really hope so... waiting on word about my engine issues. Hopefully the peoples vessel will sail for closing weekend.

If you persist in worrying about what happened at work, or the yard needs mowing, or what you’ve got to do next week, or something else, you might as well, load up and pick another day to fish. -BILL DANCE

U can come with me matt

That's the funny thing about tog, atleast the ones I can speak for that I catch in the inlets and backwaters, you always fish crab but filleting duty and a$$hole inspection duty almost 100% of the time reveal a diet of only mussels.

I haven't tried this before, but it is on my experiment list for this year. Google PVA mesh (it is used for making carp bait balls and readily available in the UK) - this would be perfect for making morsel sized mussel balls. You also wouldn't have to slightly cook the mussels to keep them on the hook. Or fish them shell and all - that just doesn't sound like it would be good for the hook up ratio. I am 100% confident that the PVA mesh will work - it's going to be a matter of whether or not the effort is worth it

RyanF
    "In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when conserved by sportsmen. The excellent people who protest against all hunting and consider sportsmen as enemies of wildlife are ignorant of the fact that in reality the genuine sportsman is, by all odds, the most important factor in keeping the larger and more valuable wild creatures from total extermination"

-Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by 2390hydra View Post
    U can come with me matt

Thanks DR. Its been one **edited*** thing after another the past two seasons..

Quote Originally Posted by mattlist View Post
    Thanks DR. Its been one **edited*** thing after another the past two seasons..
    Funny im usually that way but its been real easy the last 2. Maybe i gave u my bad luck lol

Quote Originally Posted by RyanF View Post
    Google PVA mesh (it is used for making carp bait balls and readily available in the UK) - this would be perfect for making morsel sized mussel balls.
    RyanF
    The stuff looks interesting.. Like you said you would have to see if the prep work is worth it...I would try it though...I am going to try a different hook and see what my hook up ratio is live...Once your into them the bite is usually good..after I get a few I "Play" experiment..try different bait etc etc... I will have to see if anyone has the Mesh in the US...Or find a substitute..

How about skein for making eggsacs...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast