beach replenishment Stone Harbor
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: beach replenishment Stone Harbor

Arrow beach replenishment Stone Harbor

Well the SH beaches are pristine once again. Let's see what Mother Nature's Tuesday Noreaster does to this expensive 210,000 cubic yard nourishment project.

NotAtWork likes this.
    Rageboat (Kevin Hoffman)
    boat name: "Outrage-Us"
    docked in Stone Harbor, NJ
    proud member of the Ancient Mariners

www.land-n-seaphotography.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

nice Kevin. is that nun's beach?

please post some pics from after the storm so we can see our tax dollars washing away!

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

The Sand (currently in Stone Harbor) in this picture, will all be along the waters edge in North Wildwood by the weekend.

Last edited by fish643; 03-13-2017 at 11:37 AM.
    fdformicola and outlaw like this.

Pumping sand onto a Jersey beach WITHOUT anything to hold sand in place is about the DUMBEST thing that could be done BUT when you consider the intelligence of our elected officials from congress on down it is never surprising to see the Dredges show up
    These Dredges are and have been destroying fish holding lumps inside the 3 mile limit which are prime fish holding areas . In addition they are destroying inshore grass ,clam and mussels beds . This time of the year they are sucking up the first migration of summer flounder and everything else on the ocean bottom.... If you want a sterile beach you get it thanks to Army Corp .... Wildwood will certainly benefit from the sand pushed their way following this weeks nor'easter
    BUCKTAIL WILLIE<br /> fishologist and master tagger A FISH IS TOO VALUABLE TO CATCH JUST ONCE MEMBER RFA,,ALS,NAFC, IGFA,,Stripers Forever ,SFEC ,Tri-State Ang. recipent of Sagamore of the Wabash (IN)
    a skillful angler must be full of humble thoughts NEW MEMBER of Ancient Mariners

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKTAIL WILLIE View Post
    Pumping sand onto a Jersey beach WITHOUT anything to hold sand in place is about the DUMBEST thing that could be done BUT when you consider the intelligence of our elected officials from congress on down it is never surprising to see the Dredges show up
    These Dredges are and have been destroying fish holding lumps inside the 3 mile limit which are prime fish holding areas . In addition they are destroying inshore grass ,clam and mussels beds . This time of the year they are sucking up the first migration of summer flounder and everything else on the ocean bottom.... If you want a sterile beach you get it thanks to Army Corp .... Wildwood will certainly benefit from the sand pushed their way following this weeks nor'easter

If people could see the bottom they would realize this is equivalent to Strip mining. Where is the outrage…
    Tidewalker and fish8 like this.
    Legal Reform
    Reduce the numbers of Lawyers in Public Office

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKTAIL WILLIE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtop View Post
    If people could see the bottom they would realize this is equivalent to Strip mining. Where is the outrage…
    No offense but both of you are misinformed.
    Not even worth arguing about it.
    Bern
    Millville, NJ

Not that I endorse or promote the following, but an opinion from the other side:

Here's what the world renowned Coastal geologist Dr. Orrin Pilkey, also one of the world's top experts on beach replenishment has to say about it, in his recent book "The Last Beach." " It is costly, unsustainable and ecologically damaging, and it will become financially and technically impossible in times of rapidly rising sea levels. Far from being the answer, replenishment is simply forstalling the inevitable and creating the conditions for more development that will be put at risk. Despite the sales talk of those promoting ( and benefiting from) beach replenishment ( e.g.,property owners and engineering companies), it is a desperate and shameful undertaking that says we are not prepared to allow the natural beach the space it needs to respond to future storms and rising sea levels and thereby to save the next generation from having to bear the cost of response to sea-level rise."

Be as it may, Dr. Pilkey has never been issued a contract/consultant from the State of New Jersey
    Last edited by Eric G; 03-13-2017 at 04:01 PM.
    Scaleddown likes this.
    Fishing the Beaches, Inlets and Bays of Cape May Co.
    "How'd all this sand get into my truck???

Barnby ,you have been telling me I'm wrong for a couple of years... I have been viewing Cape May County beaches for well over 60 years .Prior to the ongoing and increased beach replenishment our beaches were alive ,healthy and surf full of fish
    Today our beaches are barren deserts,very little IF any signs of life..Our inshore (inside 3miles) lumps are being destroyed by dredging along with killing everything on the bottom as it sucks up sand
    The sand put on beaches moves south OR inside our inlets BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING TO HOLD SAND
    Wildwood beach has grown well over 100 yards or more since the massive beach replenishment started along Cape May County
    There was a time when inlets like Corsons and Hereford were deep channeled and marked inlets BUT your beach replenishment has destroyed that.
    My bet is you are not old enough to have seen South Jersey beaches when they were healthy or our inlets when they all were navigable
    What a shame you don't know what you have missed
    BUCKTAIL WILLIE<br /> fishologist and master tagger A FISH IS TOO VALUABLE TO CATCH JUST ONCE MEMBER RFA,,ALS,NAFC, IGFA,,Stripers Forever ,SFEC ,Tri-State Ang. recipent of Sagamore of the Wabash (IN)
    a skillful angler must be full of humble thoughts NEW MEMBER of Ancient Mariners

Egg Harbor Township, NJ & Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Tomorrow it will most likely all end up on top of the 2+ feet of pluff/quick sand that is covering the meadow on the back side of SH Point right now thanks to Jonas' overwash last year shortly after they replenished. For awhile that sand is like meringue, nothing but fluffed up BS sand that moves with minimal effort, choking out everything it moves over. One day people are going to realize this was one of the most wasteful and arrogant human practices ever undertaken on the east coast.

BTW I am 31 years old, and even in my short time compared to some, I HAVE SEEN the drastic differences. I'm don't feel like I'm old enough to be telling newcomers to this sport "the way it was", but even I remember the day I could catch fish off the surf. I used to pull clams out of the Margate and LP surf as a kid..Kingfish were a dime a dozen all summer long. I haven't seen a washed up clam after a storm in 20 years Last year I TRIED..HARD..for kingfish and gave up after 1/2 dozen times of catching NONE from LBI to CM Point and everywhere in between that I know of. This s**t is not normal, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put two and two together..

Oh and the surfing now sucks too. Thanks ACOE for giving us our nice "safe" flat beaches.
    Last edited by WreckinBall; 03-13-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Mathew 7:26,27 "...Jesus...and everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rains fell, and the floods came,and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post

It destroyed the fishing at the Harvey cedar lump. It still isn't the same and that was 10 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post

Is beach replenishment a good thing?

If so, who is it good for?

All I see is someones 2nd and 3rd home being fortified with my tax dollars. Welfare for the rich. Not to mention the destruction of an entire ecosystem.

I have been fishing out of Hereford Inlet area for more than 50 years. Up until about 2000, the two Jetty's at 120th and 122nd streets in SH, were a fairly effective deterrent against the sand washing South into and across Hereford Inlet.

Over the last 20 years, the madness of constant beach replenishment without increasing the number and length of the Jettys has destroyed what was once a fishery second to none. The eel grass and turtle grass flats inside the inlet would cause the mullet to pause on their fall migration, and created a natural haven for Speckled Trout the size of which most would not believe - 10 years ago those flats all became covered with sand. Fall Stripers to 35lbs were once common at night in the inlet on the outgoing tide - no more.

Sadly it is all gone now, and has been for the last 10-12 years. Instead of the beach bending into the inlet just past the 122nd street Jetty as it did in 2000, it now extends across the Inlet toward NWW for almost a mile at low tide. What has been done to a once phenomenal fishery is unconscionable.

No one will ever convince me that excessive beach replenishment without jetty protection isn't the root cause - I watched it unfold. I have no doubt that self serving interests and corruption play the predominant role in what continues the destruction of the back bay and near shore fishery.
    Last edited by fish643; 03-13-2017 at 08:51 PM.
    Don Friel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan D. View Post
    nice Kevin. is that nun's beach?
    Steps from 111th. looking towards 110.
    Rageboat (Kevin Hoffman)
    boat name: "Outrage-Us"
    docked in Stone Harbor, NJ
    proud member of the Ancient Mariners

www.land-n-seaphotography.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.