BASS BARN banner

No spot burning!!

135K views 222 replies 95 participants last post by  Cotton Cornell 
#1 ·
It's that time of the year again. I want to remind everyone of our "NO SPOT BURNING" policy.

Please do not post specific locations. If you feel the need to share specific locations, do so in private.

Oh yeh...also, please do not ask for "spots." Ten times out of ten topics like this turn into spot burns :(

If you see a "spot Burn" or anything else you feel requires our attention, please do not assume we're aware of it. Simply click on the Report Post icon
and report the post. We'll take care of the rest :)

Thank you!

See less See more
#7 ·
Me and a couple buds give our own name to spots. That way we can talk about them in front of anyone, and they are lost.
Our newest place is called D!#$ head point.
last year we did good at mexicans, and fence.
It seems to me that the only people who complain about this policy, are the ones who kind find a good spot on there own.
I name spots too. Marty Island, The Good Bridge, Fort Washington. Not intended to confuse really, just because whenever I find a spot I usually have no clue what its actually supposed to be called:D

I bought a yak. This summer I plan on doing alot of daytime exploring. Maybe I'll get lucky and find D!#$ head point.:)

#10 ·
WHy ask what the policy is for?? Are you that blind to certain things. Not everyone has or needs a boat. Land based anglers have to put in some major work time effort gas flat tires all that to scout and have a good spot. Why would I do all that work bang out a few fish post where I got them only to have 60 people their the next night reaping the rewards. Get the $$$$ outta here. We also have code names. Mini slopes. Major slopes black diamonds straightaways flatboyz Copland. Just to name a few

#15 ·
I can't believe people actually argue over this matter. Look at how many views also every report gets and then ask yourself if you want all those people in your spot the next day. If the answer is no, don't burn the spot...simple as that

#116 ·
You can have a very informative forum without giving away any specific locations. give them bait, tide, water temp, and time of day of when you caught a fish and any real angler can find his or her own spot by themselves.
My point exactly. I do not understand spot burning? Do people fish the same spot everyday?? Give a report that says, se winds ,outgoing tide 8-12ft of water, Gulp shrimp, etc. I know where I would go in my area under those same conditions. Say 139 in Great Bay is red hot means nothing to me. I dont rely spots. I rely on conditions and past experiences. Some guy called me an Azzhole for questioning spot burning?? Did not mean to offend anyone. Just dont follow the "spot" theory.You hear it all the time on the VHF. Hey Joe Where are you? In my spot. How ya doing? not good, not even a knock down. Well Joe pull the hook and find a new "spot"

#27 ·
I would argue that more fish are caught because of cell phones out on the water than reading these reports. When you get the call from all your friends you can be there within the hour if you're out there. By the time you read a report the next day everything can change by the time you get out. If you're calling friends in or getting called into a hot bite by your cell phone that spot burning too.

#28 ·
Fishfinder, excellent point. One of the reasons I like to fish by myself 99% of the time, away from the crowds.
Ex: I've been places where there was no action, and then like a switch the bite turns on....
If you're by yourself, you can have a blast and really get into it...

If there are 2 guys fishing next to you, and one of them whips out a cell phone...I've seen an empty beach turn into elbow room only within a half hour....I hate that, really do....but there is not much you can do about that, other than fish areas that are less popular.

#29 ·
And here's the kicker with cell phones. That is the solution that is almost universally commended on that barn.

Burning spots, using the VHF, chasing reports, these are all frowned upon. But use a cell phone to call in a buddy or two, and that gets the :thumbsup:. I happen to agree with that.

Bottom line is that between GPS, radar, sounders, cell phones, texting, spot, and all the other electronics that availalbe in the last decade, along with newer, better more efficient engines, then add in the Internet, fishing has changed, and it's not going back.

We need to find a way to regulate fishing in such a way that it can be sustainable despite all the advantages that every angler under the sun now has.

#31 ·
ive witnessed first hand the cell phone mugging. was at IBSP all alone. i see a dark cloud funneling out of a cut. i cast and pow. nice chopper bluefish. by the time i got it in and turned around there was about 10 trucks there and guys were running down to the water. luckily i was the only one to catch a few bass that were mixed in and the guys were very good about moving over when you pull one in and come back out, they gave you your spot back but it was amazing how fast the area filled up.

#32 ·
The truth is there really are no secret spots. No matter how secret you think your spot is someone was catching there long before you.

The only exception to this would be secretly held wreck and snag numbers that don't appear on common charts.....and nobody in their right mind would post something like that.

#33 ·
The truth is there really are no secret spots. No matter how secret you think your spot is someone was catching there long before you.
SurfDuffer, I'm gonna make this my last post for the night. I'm beat!

Here's the deal...

Spot burning has NOTHING to do with "secret" spots. We all know there are no "secrets" in NJ. We also know those before us were fishing in our "secret" spots long before we were born.

Our No Spot Burning rule is in place to prevent locations from being overcrowded. Which in turn leads to loss of fishing access, etc, etc, etc.

It has nothing to do with "secrets"...I promise ;)

#36 · (Edited)
^^ Touche, Parker.:bow: :thumbsup:..part of the man-code is learning to navigate these treacherous areas..... :D :wave:

....and so to fortify themselves during the passage through those dangerous waters, some of my Italian friends eat a special dish of "goumadeontheside"....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.