Fall striped bass run info needed
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fall striped bass run info needed

Default Fall striped bass run info needed

I fish a lot in the the spring for striped bass but is the fall run a different type of fishing then in the spring. Do you still troll a lot or set up and chunk? I have always wondered that if you were gonna chunk, what kinda ground do you setup over and so on. I have caught many striped bass on the troll ( which is getting boring to me) and snag and drop. I would like to now learn how to prefect the chunk. Any help, info, or suggestions are greatly appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

same as spring structure mussle beds clam beds but alot of fall is run and gun jigging under birds and bait i would find it hard to sit and chunk as birds were diving in distance

Leave the chunks at home, fall is time for the jig bite. If you bored with trolling than this will cure it. Its fast sight fishing and quite honestly some of the most fun/addictive fishing you will ever have when there is a blitz going on.

one nice blitz and your hooked, I PROMISE

One of the most wild spectacles you may ever see is watching 500-1000 diving Gannats dive bombing into a bait pod but catching whats chasing the bait pods is even more awesome. Get your spinning gear in top shape. Tight Lines.
    Live to fish and fish to keep me sane. Tight lines.

It isn't always like that in the fall. I can remember 2 years ago when the bass were so thick and spread out that 100+ boats were working and if you couldn't jig a fish then something was wrong with you. Also many large bluefish too. What is the greatest spectacle of all though is when you are on some action midweek in November and some bluefin tuna move in on the bait.

I appreciate everyone's info, i have been out many times on thos ridiculous days in the spring and i just wasn't sure if the same style of fishing was used in the fall. So i guess now it will be game on. Is it unheard of to catch a bft during this time of year with in the three mile line?

tuna in my area is a mid nov thru dec thing. but hey anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by cdhick05 View Post
    I appreciate everyone's info, i have been out many times on thos ridiculous days in the spring and i just wasn't sure if the same style of fishing was used in the fall. So i guess now it will be game on. Is it unheard of to catch a bft during this time of year with in the three mile line?
    Like others said, chunking is usually not the game plan in the fall. Most days we don't bring any bait and just jig/troll. Unless we go eeling. Lot more fish in the fall. May need to weed thru some shorts but come november its easy to get a limit. Not sure where you are but a good amount of BFTs running the beach in late fall; but every year is different. You will see them if you get out enough. Catching them is a different story.

Do yourself a favor and see a blitz as a blessing and not your main means of catching. Yes, it's exciting, but whats more exciting in my mind is figuring out the fish and putting it all together to produce a nice catch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdhick05 View Post

There are more bft over 200#'s running inside of that 3 mile line than anyone would expect. They are in tight as I type this if you want the truth. One of the bets Fall baits for bft inshore........STRIPED BASS!!!!!!

CUSTOM RODS - CUSTOM LURES - CUSTOM JIGS

Jersey Tackle
    561 Mantoloking Rd
    Brick, NJ 08723 / 732-451-1077

Jersey Tackle - JerseyTackle
    Jersey Jigger -

We've chunked in the bay at night and had good luck. Chunk or clam in back bays at night is a nice change of pace and you can usually pull some nice fish.

I usually eel in the fall . This is only my second year fishing. What types of jigs. Is it cast and retrieve or drop to the bottom and jig up . Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Jssick View Post
    I usually eel in the fall . This is only my second year fishing. What types of jigs. Is it cast and retrieve or drop to the bottom and jig up . Thanks guys
    Ava 27 or 47, bare or with the tube. Storm shads also good. Also put a teaser above it like a clouser or a plastic. Its both cast and verticle. depends on the situation. find the birds and you will know what to do.
    Last edited by jonesdq; 09-25-2013 at 11:34 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.