We need your help please !!!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: We need your help please !!!

Default We need your help please !!!

Hello ,
    Your action is requested.

Please read the below highlights to get a sense of what is coming our way in terms of Atlantic Menhaden (Bunker) Quota and Ecosystem Management. It would be great if you could reach out by phone, email or a handwritten letter to your states individual Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) commissioners.

Click here to contact commissioners.

On May 5, the ASFMC will make pivotal votes about the 2015 Atlantic menhaden quota and could begin work to change future management, including conservation and allocation decisions. The ASMFC could increase the quota for this year with no understanding of the impact on predators like striped bass, or managers could adopt ecosystem goals and advance responsible management of this most important fish in the sea.

• Managers should not increase the 2015 quota for menhaden unless they leave enough in the ocean as food for predators.
    • Current quota shortages should be addressed by reallocation or trading, not by sacrificing coast wide conservation.
    • Despite some positive trends, Atlantic menhaden is still in need of conservation.
    • The ASFMC should not increase the menhaden catch limit without providing for predators.
    • The ASMFC should adopt ecosystem-based management of menhaden.
    • The ASFMC should not increase the catch without reallocation.

ASMFC commissioner information can be found at this website link:

http://www.asmfc.org...s/commissioners

Further details and charts about this important fishery issue can be seen here:

http://www.menhadend...tem-management/

This post has been promoted to an article

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

do you have something already written we can send as im not to familiar with whats exactly happening
    my wife says if I go fishing one more time she is going to leave me. I m sure gonna miss her.

Hello Tuna John, If you follow this link it will show you exactly what's going on and what's at steak.

http://www.menhadendefenders.org/201...em-management/

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tuna john View Post
    do you have something already written we can send as im not to familiar with whats exactly happening
    Do your homework...these guys are not what they appear to be...
    They are the ones responsible from taking small family watermens tiny bait share away and and giving it the big boys(omega)

More commercial netting woes...

Bunker Law A4036, and Your thoughts on Bunker Netting.....Etc

New Bunker Law Signed Today - End of Bass Fishing???
    Last edited by LBI-Waterman; 05-01-2015 at 01:40 PM.

LBI-Waterman, you need to do your homework. Those of us who work to see the menhaden biomass increased have nothing to do with the quotas or the split between bait and reduction. Our position is we would like to see the present split of 20/80 be more like 30/70. More bait boats and less reduction. We certainly are not anti commercial but believe that more fish benefit everyone.

Us little guys have the same license as the reduction boats so yes your effecting us . Anyway send your letters because all activist groups do no harm right? ........ Baltimore?

Fizz, You and I have had this discussion before I believe, and yes you are correct, any reduction in quota will certainly effect you as well. I also understand and am sensitive to the impact this will have hopefully for a short term period...Hopefully. Your biggest beef though IMHO should be with the reduction quota. You would certainly be in a much better position with a 30% share of the quota. The reduction companies are your biggest enemy, not the people trying to grow the biomass.

Omega is the problem not he local reduction boats. Omega owns the politicans in Virginia!

USN

Local boats filled our quota in 3 trips this year that's the problem our voice as the little guy is not heard you should also in your petitions be trying to separate us from them but that would never happen so I have to fight this because it still squeezes the little guy more

I had flash backs when I seen the post four days ago. it will push the little guy out, had to give up my license cause I didn't have recites of sales for 10,000 lb yearly. so do you think Omega will give up anything? and who has bigger pockets? as long as our lawns are green right? and we have the shore house...

The answer is to reallocate the split, not increase the quota by 20%.
    Omega takes 80% of the quote right now for fertilizer mostly.

That's why all the small bait netters should get together and attend one of these meetings and lobby for different splits. Like I said before, the reduction boats, Omega and to a lesser extent,Lund Seafood if I am not mistaken, are your biggest enemies..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.