BASS BARN banner

3 mile line The EEZ

22K views 84 replies 34 participants last post by  Re-Bait 
#1 ·
Had some difficulty distinguishing the 3 mile line on my chartplotter last Friday as there are 2 or 3 carteographic lines on display off the shore line. I used my cursor and poineed myself 2.19 miles from the shoreline and didn't want to go "out of bounds" my question is and I feel that it's a good question before I do make a phone call- the 3 mile line, is that 3 miles from the shore line OR is it 3 NAUTICAL miles from the shoreline 3.452 miles?- because one of the carteographic lines was a little over 3 miles from the shoreline and if the EEZ is in nautical miles, then my chartplotter would make sense. I'm not one to test the waters or push the envelope, I abide by the rules and just want to make sure I'm on the same page as those enforcing the line especially if I do go towards it to seek deeper water but more than likely- I'll stick with 2.25-2.50 miles to be on the safe side like last Friday. If anyone could shed some light on this, I appreciate it and thankyou in advance. By the way, my chartplotter is a Lowrance LMS I GPS 527, it's about 8 years old so I would assume the EEZ is marked out on there. I'll try to get a screen shot and maybe someone could tell me it one of the 2-3 lines/dotted lines displayed on there is the EEZ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.