BASS BARN banner

3 mile line The EEZ

22K views 84 replies 34 participants last post by  Re-Bait 
#1 ·
Had some difficulty distinguishing the 3 mile line on my chartplotter last Friday as there are 2 or 3 carteographic lines on display off the shore line. I used my cursor and poineed myself 2.19 miles from the shoreline and didn't want to go "out of bounds" my question is and I feel that it's a good question before I do make a phone call- the 3 mile line, is that 3 miles from the shore line OR is it 3 NAUTICAL miles from the shoreline 3.452 miles?- because one of the carteographic lines was a little over 3 miles from the shoreline and if the EEZ is in nautical miles, then my chartplotter would make sense. I'm not one to test the waters or push the envelope, I abide by the rules and just want to make sure I'm on the same page as those enforcing the line especially if I do go towards it to seek deeper water but more than likely- I'll stick with 2.25-2.50 miles to be on the safe side like last Friday. If anyone could shed some light on this, I appreciate it and thankyou in advance. By the way, my chartplotter is a Lowrance LMS I GPS 527, it's about 8 years old so I would assume the EEZ is marked out on there. I'll try to get a screen shot and maybe someone could tell me it one of the 2-3 lines/dotted lines displayed on there is the EEZ.

#2 ·
I have a newer lowrance. I have to go to map sources and change my source from navionics to lowrance. The lowrance map is much less detailed, but there is a definite 3 mile line. It is not actually 3 miles the line is very straight and doesnt follow contours of the shore very much. Im sure at some point its 3 off but its not exact.

#12 ·
Here is a suggestion if you have a chart plotter. I use this when working the AC Airshow to mark the location of the outer marker for the air box. Using a paper chart, walk off using dividers the 3 miles from the beach and get the lat/lon. Do this at several different positions up and down the areas you expect to be fishing. Enter the waypoints into your chart plotter. Once entered create a route and then select "go to route". This will put a magenta line on your plotter. Stay inside that line. If CG comes to check you can show them what you did and they will probably leave you alone. At least you can show them you understand the rules are are doing your best to adhere to the rules. Good luck and be safe. Don't forget especially now. Wear protection, wear your life jackets, please.

#13 ·
Only a new fishermen ?? to striped bass fishing would asked ""why the line?" he obviously wasn't around when Striped bass were almost wiped out and there was a complete moratorium on bass for several years . The EEZ protects the stock a little as it allows some breeders to get through to breed
If you can't catch them inside the EEZ maybe Golf would be a better sport

#14 ·
If you can't find the line, download navionics. It's easy to see on their app. All smart phones can get it. In fact it's an excellent backup just in case.

BTW it's NOT three miles from the beach. You can't determine it by calculating the distance from the land.

#15 ·
Thankyou all for the input and info. Here are some pics I took from my chartplotter . The mustard yellow line looks like it would be the one representing the EEZ but at certain areas, it disappears then reappears (north of Sea Isle/OC it disappears but once by Brigantine- it shows up again) the pink dashed line looks like it too could represent the EEZ but at times it looks a good 4-5 miles from the coastline and then it comes in close to the coastline at times. I will check into that app that some of you have suggested, and again- thankyou for the replies. View attachment 356777
View attachment 356785
View attachment 356793
View attachment 356801

#20 ·
Yes we were out there . they were flying around the fleet , I did not check how far off I was . but it was close , and some boats were out past me. the copter was on top of them, I did not see a CG boat where I was just the copter . looked like he was just warning the guys out there by flying around them.

Joe R.
21 SeaCraft
Susie 2

#30 ·
Is that what they told them? "You're 50 feet over and toast?"

Not 1/4 mile, and it only felt like 50? I'm not saying you're lying. I just find it crazy that with all the OBVIOUS way over the line fishing going on that they'd go after someone for 50 feet.

To me that's like nailing someone on the GSP for 66mph in a 65mph when if you just wait two minutes you can have your pick of someone doing 80.

#31 · (Edited)
If thats off Townsend Inlet, mustard line is 3 mile limit.
What carthophy/mapping is that? Include version no.

On Navionics+, you should be able to click on the line with cursor/enter, and a separate page info screen should come up with indentiy info
On Lowrance Insight V15 or V16, highlight w/ cursor and a yellow dialog box should appear on same screen with id info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.