BASS BARN banner

Another epic light tackle day

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  BUCKTAIL WILLIE 
#1 ·
Well today was another great day on the Retainer. I had my friend Tom and Bucktail Willie on board. With about 2 dozen eels we made our way out and had some incoming tide against the NW wind, but not nearly as bad as Friday. Tried a couple quick drifts with no marks, and decided to take a run. Again nothing and I started to get a little discouraged since I had a crew counting on fish. Didn't take long once the tide started going out and the wind and drift cooperated. The sun came out and the wind calmed down for a bit. Found great marks and Bucktail was hooked up first and then Tom. I had one that unbuttoned after coming to the top away from the boat. We continued to hammer this particular spot for awhile then the fish scattered. Had about 8 or about so far.quickly moved to another spot I know produces on the outgoing and sure enough it was game on for about an hour. Did about 5 drifts with fish on each drift sometimes multiple hookups. Tom ended up with a large bass at 34" that he wanted for the box. We had 2 bass already there, a 28 and a 29". Now Bucktail ran into a dry spell but it was good because he spent most of the time tagging the bass. Time was now against us so we picked up and worked our way back. Next drift saw some marks but nothing there. Last drift Bucktail ended up connected to a nice keeper size fish, not quite sure how big maybe 29 or 30". Tom had one more short. Bell rang at 4 pm.
I'm estimating here because we had somewhat of a frenzy, but Bucktail says he tagged about 12 bass, we had 3 in the box and some we did not tag. Then we probably had a combined 5 fish that unbuttoned after a brief fight. Tom weighed the 34" and it was 19.6 lbs.
So, what started out iffy ended up being a classic day for the Retainer crew fishing 15 lb test mono and 3000/4000 class spinners. Bucktail had his usual conventional setup with braid. Great day on the water on what might be the last outing for the season on Retainer. :thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
Great job Pat, sounds like an awesome day. I regret that I could not make it out there with you this fall but priorities shifted. I am looking forward tot he spring and getting back on the water. Happy holidays Pat.

#3 ·
We had a blast Carl. Sorry you could not make it out too. I had a day like this a couple weeks ago, I can send you a screen shot of the FF. Today was about the same although we had to move a few times, but fish swim, right? Merry Christmas, to you and your family. See you on the water next time.

#5 ·
That's right Schmeggy, except you and I caught them all in one spot! That day was truly epic. Our marks yesterday did not come close to what you and I saw. Glad you were able to experience the action and now you know all about Retainer Sportfishing, lol.

#7 ·
Way to end the season on a high note! I was marking a bunch of fish in the back on the outgoing Sunday, but few would commit to the eels. Most of the fish were scattered throughout the water column. I was considering throwing some lures, but the sun fell too quickly before I could attempt it. My possible last fish of the season was a feisty 30+ incher. I am very tempted to take the boat out once again, but afraid it will be too cold to winterize it.

#8 ·
Great report Pat. Glad we have folks like Bucktail to help logon, tag and track these fish. He brings lots to the fishery.

Reactions: Retainer
#11 ·
Yes he absolutely does and I'm honored to fish with him more so that he likes to fish with me lol but I always put him on the fish. He influenced me to start tagging and I have 20 tags out there no between last year and now But nowhere I mean nowhere near what he has tagged. I think he told us Monday he needs only about 50 tags to get to 20,000 fish. I estimate Bucktail has tagged about 30 or so bass so we have about 50 tagged bass in a new area. We are curious to see if we get returns. He was very busy tagging on this trip.
While we did keep 3 bass on this trip, I have found myself leaning more towards catch and release and probably released more bass this year when I could have easily kept one for the table. I have no issue with keeping bass, certainly, but I am partial to tag and release. When I fish with Bucktail Willie I learn more every trip. The knowledge he possesses is mindboggling. I wish more people would listen to him especially the regulators.

#9 ·
Nice to read some favorable reports. Im assuming you guys are fishing in the back. My results have been a lot different for the last couple to few weeks, although I fish differently than the way that guys are fishing. If I might ask... Are you finding fish in typical locations like creek mouths and the edges of flats or are they in larger chanels with deeper water and good tidal flow? I have limited access but can get to both types of water on foot, and time is a factor this time of the year. Any info would be appreciated. I'm not looking for spots, just general conditions. I can't find em right now. :huh: And I only have three bags in the freezer as yet.

#10 ·
KS, We are on a boat catching these Bass. They are not accessible by foot, at least where I fish. However you might have some luck with eels off the Route 52 causeway off the sodbanks or the piers by the bridges. Lots of fish back there.

#12 ·
Keeper seeker There are a few bass around sod banks close to inlets. I picked up 2 this morning at Rush chatin sod bank near mouth of creek west of bridge. Nothing big as they were 17 and 21" .one caught on my last eel and one on a bucktail with twister tail ....Did talked to a guy coming in from ocean side and he said he got 2 and was dragging one about 29-30" ,he said other one was 20"
I would not be surprised to find them holding up in area for a while given the late migration

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.