BASS BARN banner

someone has to say it

3K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  fmTuna 
#1 ·
I think ...the fat lady is getting ready...concert is being booked for Atlantic City area end of next week.... don't shoot me ...she may book another concert for Cape May soon after...don't shoot me...

Joe R.
21 SeaCraft
Susie 2

#7 ·
I think shes coming to an end boys, water temps may be similar to last year, but the fishing hasn't been. With these cold temps I think our time is limited.

Im going to give it one or two more shots, if we catch I'll keep going, if not I'll get into tog mode for a bit.:thumbsup:

#8 · (Edited)
The bass seem to be taking jumps when weather patterns change. But not big jumps. Talking about the big fish, not the schoolies on the peanuts.... Way north early up by Highlands. Then Asbury Park, Shark River area couple weeks, then Pt. Pleasant to Barnegat area for a long time (but still north too they are blessed), then LBI to Seaside area and now LBI and into the truest South JErsey spots, but still not all the way down. Lots of big fish to be had... Big fish, then followed by some smaller ones. Weather patterns stay stable, they park and don't make 10 mile jumps as quick. Anyway. Good luck everyone. Catch em up. We'll see how long the big females hang around in the state.....

A knowledgeable captain post a couple years ago that the bass "had to turn" in the Delaware Bay. It's sucked since. Jinxed our friends there. All we can do is predict and speculate and get out there when we can.

#9 ·
From my viewpoint I'm of the opinion that the bass filled up on bunker in Northern Jersey area holding there little longer than normal and once their bellies were full they picked up speed to the south and as water cooled they moved further offshore in the migration with NC on their minds and warmer water. Some will drop off and move up the Mullica and Great Egg for winter and a pretty good number will head into the Delaware for winter BUT majority moving down the coast will be in a hurry to get to Chesapeake and NC waters for the winter. The ones stopping in our South Jersey rivers will be stuffed and not all that anxious to take a bait,especially as water temp settles in under 48
There also is a clear dropping overall population so unlike the gravy years when anybody with a stick could catch a bass it will now take a little more than a stick and some stinky bait
Given the Scientific wizards are still reporting over fishing is not happening and regulations continue reduce large prime spawners I don't see a quick recovery.
Have a Great Winter

#10 ·
I think you are right Joe. Last year's fun won't materialize here off OC. Oh well, I noticed a leaking trim tab cylinder today so I'm pulling my rig on Sunday for the year. I'm really too busy deer hunting anyway.

#12 ·
I'm done. Retainer is coming out of the water and going to the Poconos for a restoration project. I'm hoping to be back in by June 1. I may hit the corsons beach with some bunker between now and the end of the year. Getting the skis ready to take over.

#15 ·
not trying to be pessimistic , I do think fish will be here another week ,but that weather coming up will drop the water temps , As bucktail willy said we do have local fish here year round...I remember MANY years ago guys would troll dead rigged eels along the sod banks in dead cold winter and catch Bass..also remember 1998 the bass fishing was great all the way into January and the rips in CM held fish into the middle of winter I may take one last short ride just to winterize the fuel tank then pull next week..To those guys sticking it out good luck and be safe ,

Joe R.
21 SeaCraft
Susie 2

#16 ·
Retainer , there have been some Specks caught near Corsons this past week ,biggest one I heard of was 23"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.