BASS BARN banner

Your personal best ??

11K views 62 replies 47 participants last post by  huffy1476 
#1 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words. Time to move forward

#33 · (Edited)
2016 was another epic year of Striped Bass fishing. We had 2 fish over 50 lbs, with plenty 40 - 49 lbs. Many fish were released to fight another day with no exception to the big girls. We look forward to a banner 2017 spring Striper season which we will start sailing April, sooner if the fish decide to chew. We run a few crew trips to test the waters prior to sailing daily and strictly bait fish. Trolling is a last option, but not if your crew wants to. We thank all who traveled far and wide to sail with us in 2016, and look forward to having many more epic trips with you aboard for the upcoming 2017 seasons. A healthy, Happy New Year to all with many PB's.

#35 ·
it was the big fish spring run of may 2011,51 inch, 30inch girth off ibsp. hinges on neighbors cleaning table broke.surfing/ sailing buddy (no name mention) who was born/bread in seaside said biggest striper he ever saw. should have weighted at tackle shop. 63# is a local record in papers from 60's til now.

#36 ·
This past year is the first year I went and specifically targeted stripers. We did catch a bunch of schoolies in the fall on the Chesapeake. We only went twice in the Delaware Bay but it did result in this fish. It was caught in April of 2016 and released. I would guess it was around 40". We took no measurements nor weighed it.

#37 ·
December 13, 2015 I caught a 45" bass on an eel and my 12lb test flounder rod. She was released and I joined the Release a Breeder Club of Stripers Forever. I'm the last picture for fish caught in 2015 on their website. Estimated at about 42-43 lbs. They sent me a really nice Certificate too.

#40 ·
Retainer, we did the same with a 43" fish. Let her swim again. I was really surprised at how nice the certificate was that they sent. you also get entered in a drawing for some fishing reels.

We should encourage more of this behavior.

Reactions: Retainer
#38 · (Edited)
Luckiest man I ever took fishing. Customer of mine from Michigan. Every year he came out to review our plant but he was really here to go fishing. Born in North Jersey his family moved to Michigan when he was ten years old. His last day here he walked the beach near his house and watched a surf fisherman pull in a striper. It was his dream to catch one ever since. He usually came out to visit in May for flounder fishing but one year he came out in November. Arrived on a Thursday when a Noreaster started and we were stuck on land for a few days. His flight was out of Philly on Sunday evening and finally on Sunday morning the wind died. He was packed and ready to go and we figured we could fish till about 2pm. There were three of us fishing and we had a fitted foam cooler for him to take fish home in. My first priority was to put striper in the cooler then to make sure he caught a striper. Water was dark brown but the bite was on. I had my three keepers and my friend Mike had to but my Michigan friend didn't have a tap. I put my rod away and just held the boat above the rip as Mike and Mike (his name also) pitched their eels into the rip. Michigan turned and looked at me as time was running short and said. "What the hell am I doing wrong" when the rod was almost ripped out of his hand. About a minute later my friend hooked one also and I just smiled as both kept dodging each others line. Mike finally got his to the boat and I netted it. Good fish at 39 inches and we looked at each other. He hooked his after Michigan yet Michigan's fish was still a long way away from the net. Finally got it to the net and the man was shaking as his 38 pounder hit the deck. Three days with only one fishing. Had only one bite and to land this fish was just perfect. He travels a lot and later he told me he had a 50 plus salmon up in Alaska but the striper was his dream and we made it come true.

Here is mine held by my friend Mike who netted Michigans fish. It was caught in the rips on January 9th that same striper season. We were using very light tackle because all we expected were runts. The boat had nine that day and all were around 22 to 24 inches. Then I flipped my bucktain into the rip tipped with a strip of herring. Lifted once and it just stopped. Another guy on the boat next to me saw the rod tip and said, your snagged. I just smiled as the striper took off. Great fight on 10 pound fireline and still can't figure what a striper this size was doing with a bunch of schoolies that time of year. Weighed in at 42 pounds. PS. I told Mike that as long as he has his picture taken with others peoples big fish he won't catch one that big. Still hasn't :D

#39 ·
Biggest I can remember was a 44 pounder I caught on a bunker head anchored in the 60 foot slough. That was around 1999. I think they were the best years for stripers in the Cape May area, Captains would bring down their boats just for striper season how times have changed.

#42 ·
PB by anglers on the ReBait??

David O with a 25 lb on eel caught trolling 11PM LEI circa 2002

Then on fathers day next year a 30 lber
He started getting sea sick so he stopped going. Fathers day 2004 he told his sister
"Don't even bother going you can't beat my 30"....So she went and caught a 36lber
Nick with a 40

Paul with a 45

Ryan's first at 36

My first 40, 2000

#48 ·
Cape May Surf PB

51.5" 50.5# off the Beach

Attachments

#50 ·
anyone remember when the gun mount off cm was actually in the water in the 90's? well this was one of my dads favorite spots to fish.. well we went up in his buddies boat and we had the usual 1/2 oz white tail with a pink twister tail.. i cast out hit the gun mount and it drops.. i say man i must be snagged until i tried to pull it in and its swimming now.. fish goes nuts.. 20 min later fish landed and almost 43lbs

later that yr and same spot i cast out almost same thing as i hit the wall drops in get 2 cranks and wacked.. 14lb weakie

#58 ·
53 1/2 lb striper ,17lb 1oz weakfish, 10lb 4 oz flounder ALL fishing with George Gilbert, plus 2lb 2 oz Kingfish, 11lb 2 oz Speckled trout, 1lb 7 oz Blowfish
I doubt if I will ever see anything bigger
Actually have 4 striped bass over 40lbs

Reactions: rob and Scaleddown
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.