BASS BARN banner

Multi hook (Umbrella Rigs) vs Single hook- your preference and why?

3K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  big ron 
#1 ·
So here is my question, a fisherman who trolled an umbrella rig with multiple hooks caught several striped bass at one time (3) on the rig at once. Also heard of doubles on mojo's. Now the question is, "Is this sport fishing"? Or is it something else.
I, personally like to catch one at a time on spinning gear, not 30 lb. and up trolling gear. I like to feel the fight of the fish, to have the drag run, etc., but that is me, What do you prefer and why?:huh:

#2 ·
Going to get the bad out of the way first.............

My least favorite way to catch them, ironically, is kind of proven as the most effective way to catch big fish, which is a spoon with 100 yards of wire on a long "spoon rod." Absolutely hate every aspect of it. Jerky fight with the no stretch wire, 100+ yards of line to reel in, an over sized rod with a flexible tip, and it feels like you're winching your boat up onto the trailer and the winch gear is missing a couple of teeth. No question it catches fish, but I think it sucks.

Second least favorite is umbrellas, because they tangle, make a mess, can't use a net, and I don't know what it worse than 4 gorilla Blues on an umbrella. Yuck!

Also not a big fan of the Stretch lures with the trebles. Just don't like trebles. Too easy for something to go wrong and it gets ugly.

That said.................

My favorite way is anchored up in a rough inlet, stern towards a sandbar, casting a wod of clam right into the white water, sitting back and relaxing a bit, and then just waiting for the rod to bend in half and for the drag to scream, ideally one friend anchored 30 feet to my left, and another anchored 30 feet to my right. Just love it.

Second would be trolling Mojos. Stiff rod, 50lb test, tandem mojo, and whether it's one fish or two, you actually get to feel like you're fighting the fish, nice bend in the rod, the stretch from the eliminates the herky jerky feeling of wire, and they're a pleasure to reel in.

Third would be anchored up at Graveling Point in the Spring. They're not big fish, but it's early season fishing, easy fishing, and I almost always arrange to have a friend with me. Off the top of my head, I can think of several that need to book another trip with me in just 3 short months, or less. ;)

#5 ·
Hate trolling. Do it all the time for lots of species but it really is the least fav. Love to feel the pick-up.

Like when a tuna takes a chunk you are hand stripping, or a striper picks up a spot or an eel, or I'm flipping a plastic in a shadow line.

All that being said, I figure if I am going to drag it, it might as well have a hook in it. I'd prefer to deal with a multiple, than see a miss.

#6 ·
I like jigging them, then drifting worms or eels. Don't have to anchor, and it's much less messy than chunking, but I like chunking too. As for trolling, if there are blues around, the 9ers stay in their tubes, otherwise I'll put one out, and troll some parachutes with mid size shads, mojos with large shads or a couple of old favorite driftwood lures plugs. I don't usually use the tandem of the mojos, but do sometimes if I feel it's needed. Then it's a crippled alewife. I troll with 30 lb and 40 lb mono only. Haven't trolled bunker spoons in ages. When I did, it was with lead core and maybe 10' of 50lb mono albright-knotted to the end. I've used wire, and appreciate the meat production with it, but it's not much fun, and I don't have room for everything on my little boat.

#10 ·
think with striper I would doubt they are tracking it from a ways out, more or less dragging in their face and they strike at a bait such as an umbrella , unlike tuna where they go after the weakest link (stinger) which is why only the stinger has the hook.

#13 ·
What we like the most is Top Water and then trolling spoons. There is nothing like a big ole lazy bass taking 3-4 swipe at a plug on the surface. AS far as spoons that art is in the boat handling not hook set. Dropping your spoon trolling setups way down to light gear and smaller reels and trading the wire for a down rigger changes a lot of the dynamics. Much rather fight a bass on a town power 10k or a talica 8 vs a tekota with wire!

Reactions: ShewBuddy
#17 ·
I LOVE trolling spoons for Stripers (and I love chunking for Tuna). I love chunking them on the bars. I love snag and drop. I love trolling Mojos and stretches, eels, spreaders, live bunker, buck tails. I love every way there is to catc bass......About the only way I don't really like striper fishing is jigging them.....

#20 ·
The "i hate trolling/wire" theme is a common sentiment among bass fisherman. Since the sporting aspect was mentioned I can only say that there are skills to whatever method you prefer and that includes the often maligned trolling.

I know fisherman who prefer to plug from the beach making thousands of casts to catch a handful of bass. Although many would view that as perhaps the most "sporting" of methods it is not productive enough to keep me personally the least bit interested.

To me the "fight" of a bass is not the most rewarding aspect of the catch. Making a good throw with a cast net and the tell tail twitch of the rope is an aspect I always enjoy. Pound for pound the lowly bluefish fights with several times more ferocity than the striper. Part of the appeal of trolling for bass is the precision it takes to present various lures at the right depth in varying condition and to catch the bass I see on the screen. It may not be everyones cup of tea but trolling up another double digit catch of bass never leaves me feeling unfulfilled.

Again I have respect for all the common methods fisherman choose but I personally also enjoy trolling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.