Multi hook (Umbrella Rigs) vs Single hook- your preference and why?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Multi hook (Umbrella Rigs) vs Single hook- your preference and why?

Question Multi hook (Umbrella Rigs) vs Single hook- your preference and why?

So here is my question, a fisherman who trolled an umbrella rig with multiple hooks caught several striped bass at one time (3) on the rig at once. Also heard of doubles on mojo's. Now the question is, "Is this sport fishing"? Or is it something else.
    I, personally like to catch one at a time on spinning gear, not 30 lb. and up trolling gear. I like to feel the fight of the fish, to have the drag run, etc., but that is me, What do you prefer and why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bridesburg River Rat View Post
    So here is my question, a fisherman who trolled an umbrella rig with multiple hooks caught several striped bass at one time (3) on the rig at once. Also heard of doubles on mojo's. Now the question is, "Is this sport fishing"? Or is it something else.
    I, personally like to catch one at a time on spinning gear, not 30 lb. and up trolling gear. I like to feel the fight of the fish, to have the drag run, etc., but that is me, What do you prefer and why?
    Going to get the bad out of the way first.............

My least favorite way to catch them, ironically, is kind of proven as the most effective way to catch big fish, which is a spoon with 100 yards of wire on a long "spoon rod." Absolutely hate every aspect of it. Jerky fight with the no stretch wire, 100+ yards of line to reel in, an over sized rod with a flexible tip, and it feels like you're winching your boat up onto the trailer and the winch gear is missing a couple of teeth. No question it catches fish, but I think it sucks.

Second least favorite is umbrellas, because they tangle, make a mess, can't use a net, and I don't know what it worse than 4 gorilla Blues on an umbrella. Yuck!

Also not a big fan of the Stretch lures with the trebles. Just don't like trebles. Too easy for something to go wrong and it gets ugly.

That said.................

My favorite way is anchored up in a rough inlet, stern towards a sandbar, casting a wod of clam right into the white water, sitting back and relaxing a bit, and then just waiting for the rod to bend in half and for the drag to scream, ideally one friend anchored 30 feet to my left, and another anchored 30 feet to my right. Just love it.

Second would be trolling Mojos. Stiff rod, 50lb test, tandem mojo, and whether it's one fish or two, you actually get to feel like you're fighting the fish, nice bend in the rod, the stretch from the eliminates the herky jerky feeling of wire, and they're a pleasure to reel in.

Third would be anchored up at Graveling Point in the Spring. They're not big fish, but it's early season fishing, easy fishing, and I almost always arrange to have a friend with me. Off the top of my head, I can think of several that need to book another trip with me in just 3 short months, or less.
    To my bitches - - - PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP!! --- Get used to it.

Proud to be an original member of the "Band of Useless Idiots"

Love trolling for tuna. Hate trolling for stripers. As far as multiple hooks on an umbrella rig, they will give you more hook ups (can't catch a fish on a bait or lure with no hook). Landing a fish with multiple hook baits can be dangerous and getting it untangled from the net can be a pain in the arse.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

JZ,I hear ya.

Supporting Vendor

Hate trolling. Do it all the time for lots of species but it really is the least fav. Love to feel the pick-up.

Like when a tuna takes a chunk you are hand stripping, or a striper picks up a spot or an eel, or I'm flipping a plastic in a shadow line.

All that being said, I figure if I am going to drag it, it might as well have a hook in it. I'd prefer to deal with a multiple, than see a miss.

Stay Tuna-ed!
    Capt. Ed B.

Your "friend in the business" at TackleDirect 1-888-354-7335

On The Water Magazine South Jersey Monthly Columnist

Hydrasports 2800 Vector Twin 250 HPDI FOR SALE!
    http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/sho...ector-for-sale
    Marvelous Margate NJ

I'm from Jersey; are you from Jersey? What exit? Actually just wishing I was fishing

I like jigging them, then drifting worms or eels. Don't have to anchor, and it's much less messy than chunking, but I like chunking too. As for trolling, if there are blues around, the 9ers stay in their tubes, otherwise I'll put one out, and troll some parachutes with mid size shads, mojos with large shads or a couple of old favorite driftwood lures plugs. I don't usually use the tandem of the mojos, but do sometimes if I feel it's needed. Then it's a crippled alewife. I troll with 30 lb and 40 lb mono only. Haven't trolled bunker spoons in ages. When I did, it was with lead core and maybe 10' of 50lb mono albright-knotted to the end. I've used wire, and appreciate the meat production with it, but it's not much fun, and I don't have room for everything on my little boat.

I hate trolling for striped bass. My boat anchored with a live bunker on the end of the line is my favorite way to catch them.

I forgot to add, it is like reeling in a boot when trolling. What fun is that?
    Last edited by rocky; 01-11-2017 at 06:11 PM.

swim shads on light tackle ,live lining bunker,then top water and least on the troll .
    marco likes this.

Could not agree with you more......

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyZac View Post
    Going to get the bad out of the way first.............

My least favorite way to catch them, ironically, is kind of proven as the most effective way to catch big fish, which is a spoon with 100 yards of wire on a long "spoon rod." Absolutely hate every aspect of it. Jerky fight with the no stretch wire, 100+ yards of line to reel in, an over sized rod with a flexible tip, and it feels like you're winching your boat up onto the trailer and the winch gear is missing a couple of teeth. No question it catches fish, but I think it sucks.

Second least favorite is umbrellas, because they tangle, make a mess, can't use a net, and I don't know what it worse than 4 gorilla Blues on an umbrella. Yuck!

Also not a big fan of the Stretch lures with the trebles. Just don't like trebles. Too easy for something to go wrong and it gets ugly.

That said.................

My favorite way is anchored up in a rough inlet, stern towards a sandbar, casting a wod of clam right into the white water, sitting back and relaxing a bit, and then just waiting for the rod to bend in half and for the drag to scream, ideally one friend anchored 30 feet to my left, and another anchored 30 feet to my right. Just love it.

Second would be trolling Mojos. Stiff rod, 50lb test, tandem mojo, and whether it's one fish or two, you actually get to feel like you're fighting the fish, nice bend in the rod, the stretch from the eliminates the herky jerky feeling of wire, and they're a pleasure to reel in.

Third would be anchored up at Graveling Point in the Spring. They're not big fish, but it's early season fishing, easy fishing, and I almost always arrange to have a friend with me. Off the top of my head, I can think of several that need to book another trip with me in just 3 short months, or less.

think with striper I would doubt they are tracking it from a ways out, more or less dragging in their face and they strike at a bait such as an umbrella , unlike tuna where they go after the weakest link (stinger) which is why only the stinger has the hook.

Angler Management II

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I hate trolling for striped bass. My boat anchored with a live bunker on the end of the line is my favorite way to catch them.

I forgot to add, it is like reeling in a boot when trolling. What fun is that?
    I am not a fan of trolling but catching them on mojo's with braided line is not bad they do fight well this way. I will get you out next season and you can judge for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky John View Post
    I am not a fan of trolling but catching them on mojo's with braided line is not bad they do fight well this way. I will get you out next season and you can judge for yourself
    Sounds good, I may take you up on it my friend.

What we like the most is Top Water and then trolling spoons. There is nothing like a big ole lazy bass taking 3-4 swipe at a plug on the surface. AS far as spoons that art is in the boat handling not hook set. Dropping your spoon trolling setups way down to light gear and smaller reels and trading the wire for a down rigger changes a lot of the dynamics. Much rather fight a bass on a town power 10k or a talica 8 vs a tekota with wire!
    ShewBuddy likes this.

"Chompers"
    34' Regulator
    Sandy Hook (spring/fall) Manasquan Inlet (summer)
    james@chompersfishing.com
    Raymarine - Pro Ambassador
    Sterling Tackle - Pro Staff
    Phenix Rods - Pro Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Bridesburg River Rat View Post

Why wouldn't you put a hook in each shad? Some days that may be the only fish you get, some days you may get multiples.
    Last edited by Bob ECT; 01-13-2017 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyZac View Post

Also known as lazy clam/bait fishing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.