BASS BARN banner

Leave wire on the reel?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  big ron 
#1 · (Edited)
What are you guys doing with your wire line trolling outfits during the off season? I have two Penn 113's (with the chrome spools) with wire on them. Do you strip it off until spring or leave it on there? I did spray some corrosion block on the spool and pretty sure enough of it "leaked" down past the wire deeper into the spool.

#3 ·
My lazy friends, who typically have gear that is "good enough," spray some stuff on it, and that's "good enough."

My meticulous friends, who have the best gear,and keep it always in pristine operating condition, strip the wire off the spool onto another, large, empty spool, clean the reel by hand, make sure everything is clean and working, and then put the wire and back on in the Spring.

#8 ·
Well, last year this aluminum spool was stripped of wire, wiped down with Corrosion Block (along with the wire as I peeled it off), put back on the spool and sat from Dec-March and this is what it looked like in March.
I have since switched to chrome spools bought from Scotts B&T. I think I may strip it again and leave it off just to be safe as I recall the chrome spools costing close to $80 and I needed 4.

#9 ·
I pulled all mine off and stored on an empty spool. I used a rag soaked with wd 40 when winding on spare spool. I then used some corrosion x on spool and cleaned reels and loosened drags. Will be all ready for spring. I also have a spare Warfare 30 all setup and got another Coldwater 453d as spare which I am saving for Joe Z when he finally throws the towel in and wants to troll wire LMAO

#14 ·
You should take the wire off if practical. But it's not easy to do so on your own. What I try to do, is take out a bucket of fish/soapy water with you...and when it comes time for the last wind in.....Take a microfibre rag wet it and hold the line as you reel in the wire cleaning it with the fresh water and dripping it onto the spool.

#15 ·
There are levels of care that I follow depending on the amount of free time I have. If you just have a few reels its not too time consuming but I have a lot of reels so some can get overlooked.

The quickest and easyest is a strong freshwater hose rinse,air dry followed by a good soaking of wd-40. For chrome over brass spools this will protect pretty well. But with aluminum spools you are just slowing the pitting some. Those salt-aways may be better but I have never used them.

For a thorough cleaning I made a 18" pipe with two reel seats on it that allow me to transfer the wire/backing from one reel onto an empty reel. Not as good as a line machine but works pretty well. This allows a total cleaning but it still takes some time for the backing to dry which slows down the process. Its also worth replacing your swivels and haywire twists since they can corrode and get weak also. Really if the wire is kind of old and dosent lay well I chuck it out and put new stuff on. If you keep using old wire it will break on you when fishing costing you a lure,a fish and wasted time on the water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.