BASS BARN banner

Making Mojos?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Tom B 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried to make their own...

I just can't realistically pay $25-$40 for a Mojo... It's just a cannonball lead sinker w/ a hook on it... I tie my own flies...

So has anyone ever made one? Any tips or pointers?

#3 ·
I make my own but it is probably not worth it for most people. Unless you are willing to invest significant $ and time I would not suggest it. Getting a durable finish takes trial and error. I powder coat and it is messy and a real pia. Materials add up quick because they are big lures and take a lot of material to produce. Unless you are buying supply's wholesale they cost a lot.

It may not be too difficult to crank out some cheap ones that will not hold up, but quality ones take a good effort to produce. In retrospect it was probably a mistake getting involved making them.

#4 ·
2 ideas:
1) the idea of a 32 oz mojo is getting down in the strike zone. You can run 32oz. Drails along with a tandem of 8 & 4 oz. parachutes . I run 3 - 32 oz. Mojos at a time. 80 - 90% of the bass are on the 4oz. trailing parachute .
2) the 3 heavy mojos last forever. We use white & yellow. You do not need to buy 10 heavy mojos.

#5 ·
I have, all U need is a good 3 way T, some fluorocarbon, snaps, I buy the bottom weight from http://www.ghlures.com/shop-now?page=shop.browse&category_id=1
they are reasonable priced, and fluid dynamic, U can use any lure for the top. The big thing last year was a small spoon, but basically anything U think will work.
The bottom line is it's a lot cheaper... If U have any questions PM me..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.