Going to have to start using circle hooks
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By justfish
  • 1 Post By dozer 277

Thread: Going to have to start using circle hooks

Default Going to have to start using circle hooks

Caught two 27" bass on the Mullica river this week. Both were gut hooked. I got the hooks out as gentle as I could through the gills, but I doubt if they will live. I like setting the hook, but I don't want to kill shorts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

The best thing to do with a gut hooked fish is to cut the line in the fishes mouth and let it go. The stomach acids will quickly get rid of the hook. You can get gut hooked fish with circle hooks too and I just do the same thing - cut the leader as close to the hook as I can and release

It's a good idea to switch over to the circle hooks we did it years ago with great success, hardest part, not setting the hook. Good luck and catch em up

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I have done that also, but I am not convinced about the results. I don't know how the fish can swallow with an 8 0 hook in it's gut.

Circle hooks and spike the rod........keeps you from setting the hook when the fish initially picks it up and runs. Pick up the rod and reel. Once you get use to not setting the hook your hook up ratio will go up. It also lets you fish multiple rods very effectively!
    freelancer and Oyster Dog like this.
    The ride is only as bad as the fishing!!

Supporting Vendor

Yeah, it is not as much fun when you don't get to cross their eyes with a good strike, but in the long run you catch more fish and release healthier ones...

Stay Tuna-ed!
    Capt. Ed B.

Your "friend in the business" at TackleDirect 1-888-354-7335

On The Water Magazine South Jersey Monthly Columnist

Hydrasports 2800 Vector Twin 250 HPDI FOR SALE!
    http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/sho...ector-for-sale
    Marvelous Margate NJ

I went to circle hooks 3-4 years ago, especially with the type of bass fishing I am doing now, I hardly if ever get any gut hooks. All clean hooksets in the corner of the mouth. Then a tag and release.

rob

Quote Originally Posted by maholland13 View Post
    I have done that also, but I am not convinced about the results. I don't know how the fish can swallow with an 8 0 hook in it's gut.
    I've caught stripers with 3 juvi tog in it's belly and one down it's throat and it was still eating anything that roamed. What's an 8/0 hook compared to fin spines?

They are eating machines, don't worry about the gut hook, worry about what you'd do to them trying to get it out.

------------

Rob

Circle hooks work much better than J hooks. Just reel tight and it is on.

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    They are eating machines, don't worry about the gut hook, worry about what you'd do to them trying to get it out.

I would have to agree with this viewpoint.
    " The longer they're on, the bigger that hole is getting." The Legend

I second (or third ) this. I switched over to circles a few years ago and with a spiked rod and the baitrunner set I hook many more than I loose. not sure if its just me but I seem to get most of my hits when I'm at the truck getting something out of the cooler or going to the bathroom. I believe the fish have a lookout that tells the others when is the most inopportune time to hit. my favorite is 2 rods and one goes down. by the time I get it and realize the fish is gone the other one goes down and the same thing happens. anyone watching just shakes their head thinking what an idiot!!!!!! I wouldn't trade it for anything. my last trip to the beach I got a hook in my hand, got bit by a bluefish, and snapped an old uglystick in half. BEST DAY EVER!!!
    HuntFish12 likes this.

rob

Best day ever

------------

Rob

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.