34 ft. silverton question

Thread: 34 ft. silverton question

I am looking at a 34 ft. silverton with twin 5.7 litre crusader motors..I was told forget it by a friend who said the fuel bill would keep me at the dock is this true??? anyone run crusaders and what is the fuel consumption??? Would love diesels but they are out of my range...
    (VERN)
    AL RICHER
    MULLICA HILL,NJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Vern,

I had a 1978 34 Silverton Sedan with a pair of 1986 270 hp carburated 350 ci Crusaders. The boat cruised an honest 14 knots (17 mph)at 3200 pms and drank 20 gallons per hour total. I had installed a Flowscan system. The starboard engine burned 11 gph and the port engine 9 gph.

Chris Miller
    Chris Miller
    1990 Grady 23 Gulfstream "CTALES V"
    1974 Mako 17 "Tiderunner"
    Mystic Islands, NJ (since 1970)

Banned

forget that boat...it's not a fish boat by any stretch of the imagination.to repower that with diesels,not to sound like a jerk,is putting lip stick on a pig...
    that boat is a river cruiser or a floating condo-that's it

I run 5.7L EFI Crusaders on my 28 ft Bertram Bahia Mar and like them very much. They push me along at cruise at roughly 24 knots but I do burn about 25-26 GPH at cruise. The new Crusaders are designed to cruise at much higher RPMs than the older carb engines (3600-4000 RPM vs 3000) and they actually burn MORE fuel per hour than their carb counterparts. However, they deliver so much higher horsepower and speed that you actually get BETTER fuel efficiency (MPG) than with the older engines. That assumes, of course, that the sea conditions allow you to cruise at normal RPMs. I'm with jaws though, I think you would be better suited with a different hull. That boat will slam offshore and I'm pretty sure that 5.7L engines are too small for a 34 footer. Just my $0.02.

What do you plan to do with the boat?

Silverton's are more of a cabin boat then a fishing boat. It'll be slow, suck down gas, and not a great ride. Good place to stay on the weekends though.

I ran a 31' Silverton with twin 350's(270H.P) for many years. My 31' held 220 gallons, and cruised at 18 kts. I fished as far out as the Baltimore, but mostly fished the inshore lumps, or bottom fished. First off, I think anything over 31' should have diesels. Silverton hulls are not built for speed. They don't slam, unless the conditions are bad, in which case not many other boats perform that well in either. Its true that they are built with comfort in mind, but they are heavy soild hulls. if rigged right that are quite fishable. If you're looking for a offshore machine, thats not it. But for a comfortable, affordable flounder and once in a while a inshore trolling boat, they perform just fine. Fuel consumption may be an issue, but I would'nt spent the money to repower it with diesels.

looking for the comfortable sedan that would allow the misses a place to relax and me a place to fish.. Looking to use it for out front bottom fishin and occasional tuna chunkin..half the family fishes the other half just likes to relax..

Also lookin at the price tag as I really don't want to go over 50,000 on a 1980's vintage boat..
    (VERN)
    AL RICHER
    MULLICA HILL,NJ

I hear ya. Like I said its not a hardcore fishing machine. But for the price, you can get a good dual purpose boat. You want to hit the canyons, jump on your buddies boat or hey... maybe charter the Partytime .
    If you are not one of those people who get stuck on a name, you should be OK. Like all used boats, get a good surveyor. I think a few are sponsors here on the barn...If not I can recommend one. Good luck with you search!

jawz is right find something else

I can't imagine that boat would hold it's value....you'll take a bath...jmho

atm
    Neverbetter in Avalon

HEY CAPT. ON THE SILVERTON QUESTION..RAN A NEW '82 MODEL W 270 FWC CRUSADERS W/VEE DRIVES,STANDARD FOR THIS MODEL. HAD BOAT IN CANYON EVERY OTHER CHANCE WE COULD. CRUISE SPEED NOT THE BEST BUT RAN LIKE A CLOCK.22MPH/21GPH.
    VERY SEA WORTHY HULL STABLE AT REST,RAISED FISH LIKE NO OTHER BOAT I HAVE SEEN FOR A WHILE..
    ONLY DRAW BACK-WITH ENGINES UNDER THE AFT DECK SALT WATER DID A NUMBER ON EVERYTHING,,,INCLUDING
    SHUT DOWNS FROM COROSION IN WHIRE HARNESS PLUG LOCATIONS. SUGGEST SURVEY WHAT EVER YOU BUY.

Mobile Paint Stripping & Surface Cleaning
    Soda and Abrasive Blasting
    Visit Us On The Web!
    www.modernsodablast.com

I also have a 31ft silvrton convertible moves very well and burns in between 15to20gph.fishes with comfort also rides well.I like silvertons.