Shimano Torium 30 vs. Daiwa Saltist 30??
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shimano Torium 30 vs. Daiwa Saltist 30??

Default Shimano Torium 30 vs. Daiwa Saltist 30??

I was looking at these reels for deep dropping with Power Pro Spectra 80#. Both are high speed 6.3:1 and 6.4: 1 respectively and crank 46 and 47 inches of line respectively per turn. Anybody try these reels, they are xery nicely priced compared to the Penn Torque reels. thanks
    Dr.Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I'm in the exact same situation... I was thinking though closer to 50-60lb spectra... I have "heard" stuff about the daiwa... Can't verify... Have friends with them that swear by em. I tried theirs and liked them.
    Almost every reel I own is shimano... I have a few penns polluting the pile but most all shimano... Just havn't fished with the torium and not sure how she'll feel in 600' with a pound of lead...

I'm thinking about buying a Torium 30 for some deep dropping but I haven't heard anybody talk about this reel. What do you guys think about it?

Everyone I know is using either the Torium or Torque. I have friends who use both and have them pulled fish on both.
    Capt. Alan Beneroff

NetKeeper SportFishing
    http://netkeeperfishing.com

if it was torium vs torque I think the Shimano is much better. It is cheaper and much better made than Penn. Penn is not what is use to be. Like the Daiwa too. With these high speed reels I thing I can manage cranking them in.
    Dr.Mike

I fished for tile in Oct with the Saltist. Really liked it. Just bought two more for a winter bass/tog trip. Will use for tuna jigging this summer.
    They are really smooth and light weight. Bought the setups at Harlee Rods. Gretat service and good price with free shipping.

Default Torium vs TRQ

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mike
    if it was torium vs torque I think the Shimano is much better. It is cheaper and much better made than Penn. Penn is not what is use to be. Like the Daiwa too. With these high speed reels I thing I can manage cranking them in.
    How could you compare TRQ with Torium ?.
    Torque is completely in a different league, far superior to torium. Of course it is also more than twice expensive. I have both. DO YOU???
    If we are not sure, we shouldn't talk. Ask rather .
    What I found about Shimano is they have too many parts. typical japanese. Once it's done, it's done unless company replaces it for you. Very smooth but deceiving. When the reel takes more force than its drag, it slips ( torium) you feel reel is very smooth when cranking until you realize you are just cranking the handle . Not the line.
    Don't get me wrong, they are good. But you just cannot compare Torium to TRQ period.
    Last edited by greaterpark; 02-05-2008 at 01:10 PM.

KHP

Default Back to the Original Post

I had asked about the Torium 20 in another thread. Bob from East Coast Tackle suggestd I look at the Diawa Saltist due to the fact that it is made completely of metal. The Shimano evidently uses some plastic. They are both in the same price range.

'05 World Cat w/twin Zuks

Default Saltist

Quote Originally Posted by KHP
    I had asked about the Torium 20 in another thread. Bob from East Coast Tackle suggestd I look at the Diawa Saltist due to the fact that it is made completely of metal. The Shimano evidently uses some plastic. They are both in the same price range.
    I agree with you..

If you want the same set up with metal from Shimano I think you need to upgrade to the Trinidad.
    Fair winds and calm seas
    Jim Gurdgiel
    Woodbine NJ
    Popeye's Marina, Matts Landing

When I come down to work the deck bluefishing I hand off many of my hooked fish. I had a Torium 30 that just blew up and was fixed but I got rid of it. I went to the Saltist and it has lasted 3 full seasons of abuse with no problems.

My brother has the Torgue and LOVES them. Cod jigging, tuna jigging or bait, bluefishing and tile fishing it eats it all up. He keeps trying to get me to buy one.

Lou
    Fish hard or go home....

I never used the torium, but I can tell you you will not be disappointed with the saltist. I have the Saltist 40 high speed lined entirely with 50# braid. Good dual use reel for tuna jigging and deep water bottom fishing. Very comfortable to use and all metal.
    Allie B
    27' Sea Hunt Gamefish
    Bree-Zee-Lee Marina

Talking

Very impressive, somebody actually has not just one,but two Torque reels-WOW! Shakespear must be doing well. Good luck and good fishing
    Dr.Mike

Saltist is a lot better than torium.
    Shimano spends a lot of money for advertising in US. Americans are more familiar with the brand. One of the things I hate about them is they look too fancy. Looks like glittering jewel. You don't want that kind in the salt water. Fake.
    I have several shimanos but no more. my personal opinion. For the big game reels I would choose Avet than any other.
    We are talking based on quality for the money without sacrificing any.

It's not even close, the Saltist.

One reel is built with alot of plastic, one isn't. Just a hint, the torium has plastic side plates

Bob
    http://www.eastcoasttackle.com

Mrs. Bob ECT
    Dry Dock Moderator

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.