What pound/how much braided line for Tuna
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What pound/how much braided line for Tuna

Default What pound/how much braided line for Tuna

What pound braid and how many yards for Tuna fishing in NJ? I was thinking about 350 or so of 80lb would be good. Any other opinions? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by YMMV
    What pound braid and how many yards for Tuna fishing in NJ? I was thinking about 350 or so of 80lb would be good. Any other opinions? Thanks!
    Yardage depends on the size reel. What size reel? Then drop the 80 to 60 for tuna. JMO.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home." ---Roderick Haig-Brown

I think you could put like 1200 yds of 100 lb Power pro(='s 20lb mono) on 50 class reel. I would go heavy as possible to get the benefit of the stronger line. Just watch for tournaments, if you fish them. The braid will put you over 100 lb class strength with like 80 lb test. But again you will not need more than 1200 yds of line, especially if you can set your drag at 30 lbs. That brings another point. You entire set up is only as good as the weakest line or knot. So set drag accordingly

Not sure of the weight of the fish but 60 to 70 pounds was our call on a bluefin. Used my Shimano Charter Special with 300 yards of 30 pound Fireline. Never took more than half the line. Was more worried about the 50 pound leader breaking than the 30 Fire. That stuff just beats up on fish. I don't have enough confidence in PowerPro to use that strength line in that situation. Had it break on way to many occasions. Just my opinion.
    Opening day 2015 Flounder Tournament. NO BONES BAIT & TACKLE IN WILDWOOD. OPEN EVERY DAY EXCEPT CHRISTMAS. LIVE AND FROZEN BAIT. 17FT. CAROLINA SKIFF RENTAL BOATS. Charter boats. Secret maps. Hand tied striper, flounder, Tog, Kingfish and Seabass rigs. Do you think someone in China cares if you lose your big fish? Over 50 years of fishing knowledge passed on freely to all who stop in or email their questions. LETS GO FISHING. 609-522-3017 email wwcnj@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ack
    Yardage depends on the size reel. What size reel? Then drop the 80 to 60 for tuna. JMO.
    Well as far as the reel. I will be using a Accurate 870.. or something along those lines.

I was considering using 65lb braid with a top shot but just wanted some more opinions.

I will be targetting BFT, Mahi, Wahoo, maybe some smaller YFT.

Quote Originally Posted by chunking
    Not sure of the weight of the fish but 60 to 70 pounds was our call on a bluefin. Used my Shimano Charter Special with 300 yards of 30 pound Fireline. Never took more than half the line. Was more worried about the 50 pound leader breaking than the 30 Fire. That stuff just beats up on fish. I don't have enough confidence in PowerPro to use that strength line in that situation. Had it break on way to many occasions. Just my opinion.
    Funny you said that. My buddy was thinking about using his Shimano Charter Special for Tuna. His is spooled with 50# Sufix.

We have caught a fair share of good sized fish on charter specials and TLD 15's loaded with 30 to 50 lb Power Pro without any issues. Most of my overnight chunking this year will be on TLD 15's loaded with 50 lb braid. The smaller reels are easier to handle and work just fine. The drag can be set at 12 lbs and you can put 1000 yds of 50 on them if you want

I would not use braid for trolling. It gives you no safety net as mono does when it stretches.
    Capt. Lindsay Fuller

1 of NJ's first IGFA Certified Charter Captains.

Member Beach Haven Charter Fishing Assn.

June Bug Charters is a BassBarn.com advertiser.

Cell 609-685-2839
    CaptLindsay@Fish-JuneBug.com
    www.Fish-JuneBug.com

Life Member of RFA and NRA
    I support the JCAA, IGFA, TBF and DU
    Public Trustee - New Jersey Sea Grant Consortium
    Retired Officer of New Jersey Army National Guard

Default Pound & Braided line for Tuna

Your original idea of 350 to 400 yds of braid on any reel for chunking should be fine.
    Depending on reel size / capacity I would go 65# not so much for the extra line strength but more for the abrasion end . The thinner diameters can get nicked & fail easier.
    You're leader is usually under the LB of the mainiline so you should fine. I use HC on some Western Filaments XP std braid & Plus HC , it's by far the tougest braid out there and realistically priced.
    As with "all" braids drag setting is key ,set lighter no stretch in braid, ,the caviat' being the spool maintains the drag lbs more evenly as far as setting due to the m spol diameter not changing drastically when a fish decifdes to run .
    Medium taper rods are also good choices for braid use. they absrb more shoch under a load!

For what its worth, trolling with braid actually works quite well, but you should use a top shot of mono for the purpose of shock absorption. We generally troll with 50-100 yard mono top shots and have yet to have any issue on either the chunk or the troll after several years of experience.

For the reel discussed (Accurate 870), you will most likely be jigging and chunking. While 350 yards of 80 is nice, you might want to up the capacity a hair and go with 60 or 65 lb spectra and a 60lb top-shot. This will increase your margin of safety in case you hook something special

Try setting up the 870 with 450 yards of 80lb hollow spectra and a 50 yard topshot of 80lb mono. Would not be my first choice for a trolling reel, but should be a blast on the chunk.
    Basil Pappas

What does a 30 hold in mono?

My 870 has 400 tds of 50 lb izorline and 120 yds of 30 lb momoi diamond for a top shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin G. DGREENEMACHINE
    What does a 30 hold in mono?

My 870 has 400 tds of 50 lb izorline and 120 yds of 30 lb momoi diamond for a top shot.
    Damn, I didnt even know the 870 could hold that much line. Maybe I should consider a 270 for the "excitment" factor. Or maybe I just lost my marbles.

Thanks for all the input guys! More are always welcome too!

according to accurate the 870 holds 650 yds of 50lb braid...

Bob from ECT talked me into 50 for my braid because 30 is just to thin to handle, and I think he was right...

oh and not that I"m the be all or end all but some questions I have pondered with other more knowledgable folks that I are...

are you talking inshore lumps in 150 feet of water or the canyon?

if I fish can't go more than 50 yards deep, then you need less line capacity because you can chase em...

if thay can go 6000 feet deep you have an entirely different set of circumstances on your hands in most people's opinion...

inshore I would break out the 870 almost any time, unless there were large bluefin around..

offshore, i have never hooked a tuns more than a football with it because we always waited to get the fish behind the boat and identify the size class, lest we be left standing there with our rod in our hand, so to speak... we never seemed to get those fish up there for ID in enough numbers to break it out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast