What Is The Best Way To Hook Up A Anchor Ball For Quick Release
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Is The Best Way To Hook Up A Anchor Ball For Quick Release

Default What Is The Best Way To Hook Up A Anchor Ball For Quick Release

Let's say i was anchored and chunking, hook a big one and spooling you out, I got to motor. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO HOOK UP A ANCHOR BALL FOR QUICK RELEASE?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

fmmo,Don't know how others do it but I tie the ball to the first splice in the line.I make all splices in 200' increments.I leave the ball on the bow with that first splice just before the tie off (cleat) so that a qiuck release can be made If where being spooled.Loop knots can sometime be tricky when dealing with a windless.That is why when fishing the deep they have to be untied and retied as there fed through the windless.Hope the info helped.G

drop everything in the water and mark your location with a mob and come back with a grappling hook and scrape the bottom. anchor balls are overated!.
    Last edited by Jay Weinberg; 07-19-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Two years ago we were using a really long offshore rode and simply made a loop in the line behind the cleat after it was cleated off, attached the ball with a snap, and then dropped the rest of the coiled, bundled (bungee) rode in a big nylon mesh bag. It all goes over the side, the big anchor ball keeps it all afloat, and although it gets a little heavy hauling it back in, it was still better than having all that line floating around out there for all the other boats to have to deal with.

And Jay is right (as usual?)... don't forget to hit the MOB.. that big ball gets really small out there and they all look alike if you are near a fleet.

Stay Tuna-ed!
    Capt. Ed B.

Your "friend in the business" at TackleDirect 1-888-354-7335

On The Water Magazine South Jersey Monthly Columnist

Hydrasports 2800 Vector Twin 250 HPDI FOR SALE!
    http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/sho...ector-for-sale
    Marvelous Margate NJ

Default Anchor Ball Quick release

Larger hard to get forward boat w/bridge or larger express,use a Pelican Hook - Smaller boats CC etc. do as described loop in back of cleat w/ball ready to be deployed if you have to get underway!

Most times I use about 300' of anchor line (usually anchored up in 110 to 130 ft. for inshore bluefin), that should hold you in any fishable weather. Have some kind of loop at the end. After the line is let out attach an anchor ball to the end, also attach a snap shackle (with about 2 or 3 feet of line) to your Bow cleat have a lanyard on the snap shackle pull pin, attach the end of the anchor line to the snap shackle where the ball is attached (make sure that the ball is attached under the pulpit or rail). when you get a large fish just pull the lanyard on the snap shakle, and you'll be off.
    Kristin D
    Somers Point, NJ
    21' Boston Whaler W/A, F225
    50 GT Master, Towing Endorsement

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.