7 Mile Bridge, Fl. Keys
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 Mile Bridge, Fl. Keys

Default 7 Mile Bridge, Fl. Keys

I just found out that I am going to be staying in Big Pine for a few days after I leave Key West on 3/1. I will have access to a 17' center console boat. Does anyone know of any good spots on 7 mi. bridge to fish for Tarpon, Grouper, Snapper, and Big Sharks? I will also have my dive gear with me so I can snag some lobster while I am there to. Does anyone know of any spots to catch live bait down there. Any help would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Hey Ken do you ride single track . Are you a member ecea
    Last edited by reel nuts; 02-20-2009 at 05:15 PM.

go down there a lot tow my boat anhor up buy the brige and chum all night hook up whith sum big lemons and nures sharks you could evan take that boat out for tuna and some sailfish by eages of a close reef every thing is close for offshore down there

Get a chart and you'll be in! there are good reef sight within five miles....and get some bugs!! (lobster)
    Its 4:20 someplace.....
    Sharks have a week dedicated to him..AAAI-ISMA Certified Cycling Instructor
    AAAI-ISMA Certified Kick Box Instructor

Oh yea, on the north side there's a shoal just back (west) of the bridge. Poppers for big Crevalle. That time of year, any channel marker can hold Cobia. On the bay side. Live bait, easy, get something to chum with, go to any marker and throw in a small hand full o shit. Use a small, size 6 or so hook. Hook up a bit o chum and drop it in, wack, you gotta a pin fish. They're the best going. Good for sharks, cobia, crevalle and Cuda. Travel what apears to be west (I think it would actually be almost due North) to the mangrove islands you see in the distance, about 5 miles. Sharks, Permit and Reds. Permit, use crab or shrimp. Check every marker on the way out there. Cobia are around, Tarpon will associate with those as well. There will be big Tarpon under the bridge as well as Crevalle. You aint done nothin till you had a dozen Crevalle blastin a plug. All else fails, throw in some chum at sunset, sharks are everywhere. Good luck. You're goin to fishin heaven.
    John Yank

Thanks guys. How far out and how deep are the channel markers? I would love to jump in the water and spear a big permit or cobia.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyguy784 View Post
    Oh yea, on the north side there's a shoal just back (west) of the bridge. Poppers for big Crevalle. That time of year, any channel marker can hold Cobia. On the bay side. Live bait, easy, get something to chum with, go to any marker and throw in a small hand full o shit. Use a small, size 6 or so hook. Hook up a bit o chum and drop it in, wack, you gotta a pin fish. They're the best going. Good for sharks, cobia, crevalle and Cuda. Travel what apears to be west (I think it would actually be almost due North) to the mangrove islands you see in the distance, about 5 miles. Sharks, Permit and Reds. Permit, use crab or shrimp. Check every marker on the way out there. Cobia are around, Tarpon will associate with those as well. There will be big Tarpon under the bridge as well as Crevalle. You aint done nothin till you had a dozen Crevalle blastin a plug. All else fails, throw in some chum at sunset, sharks are everywhere. Good luck. You're goin to fishin heaven.
    Good stuff.
    I going to Marathon 3-21 with 4 other guys. I got a 22' Whaler for the week. We'll be fishing the same area. Have an 8' cast net and a live well.
    Any ideas where to throw for bait?
    There weren't alot of fish but they sure were small.

Sburner. The pilchards will be along the beaches in the shallows. You'll hunt them like you would menhaden. Fill the well. There are big live mullet inside Key Colony there in that bay area. mullet at night equal tarpon. I've been there on that particular week 4 or 5 times. Tarpon in the channels, a few on the flats (depends on water temp). All the snapper and grouper offshore. King macks everywhere. Dolphin at 6-10 miles....bull sharks on the flats.....

Take me with you.

Quote Originally Posted by underdog View Post
    Sburner. The pilchards will be along the beaches in the shallows. You'll hunt them like you would menhaden. Fill the well. There are big live mullet inside Key Colony there in that bay area. mullet at night equal tarpon. I've been there on that particular week 4 or 5 times. Tarpon in the channels, a few on the flats (depends on water temp). All the snapper and grouper offshore. King macks everywhere. Dolphin at 6-10 miles....bull sharks on the flats.....

Take me with you.
    Thanks. Wish I could. It should be a great trip and I was surprised how reasonable a trip like this is.

Offshore Locations
    Islamorada Hump
    GPS: 24-48.175' N; 80-26.674' W
    Loran: 14098.3; 43266.4
    Depth: 294 ft.

409 Hump
    GPS: 24-35.5' N; 80-35.5' W
    Loran: 14064.6; 43311.8
    Depth: 409 ft.

Marathon Hump (West Hump)
    GPS: 24-25.528' N; 80-45.328' W
    Loran: 14032.3; 43358.5
    Depth: 516 ft.

Thunderbolt Wreck, 24 39.48 80 57.90, 75-115Ft
    off Marathon, Vaca Cut, 2 miles out

Nice. Keep it coming.

That's good stuff. I wish the boat I am going to be using had a GPS. All I have is my handheld to find my way back to the launch. I guess I will have to dive it first. I have blue charts so that should help a little.

Washington Twp. NJ/Sea Isle City/Avalon, NJ

I just got back from Marathon not 3 days ago. It's not fishing down there its catching! Like they said grab some chun and either make a chum bag or buy one (they use material like our crab nets or flounder nets and a plastic tube) the wholes in our sharking chum bags are to big. and the fish will come to you. Small hooks and lots of shirmp chunks. It would even be more effect if you anchored over top of a reef. Use 4-6'' of leader tied to a small barrel swivel. Then use a football shaped 1/2 3/4 once lead with the whole in the middle to thread through your mainline. tie he mainline to the barrel swivel and your all set! Enjoy the weather and good luck fighting off the grunts!

Damn, I still have a month to go, but the weather should be sweet in another month if not too windy. My rented boat must be in by dark. Where would I try at night from land?

Ken,

I towed my dad's boat down to Key Colony Beach for him the last week of January. We launched the boat on Monday and on Tuesday 1/27, we fished down near the bridge. There is an island on the ocean side that we hit from the wind behind. Me caught many small fish (snapper, grouper, grunts).

The same day, the guys 2 house down were fishing Moser Channel on the ocean side and they caught their limit of yellowtail snapper. Boat near them lost 2 of every 3 fish to large sharks. I lost a rod there last year that was pulled fromthe boat and I had 5 sharks in a row break me off.

If you head out from the bridge 5-6 miles, put some chum in the water, the mangrove snappers should keep you busy.

Chumming out on the patch reefs is always a neat experience..

You never know what you may catch.....I am going back the last week of march to fish a few days and drag the boat back to Sea Isle (One More Yank)

If you get a nice day, head off towards the lighthouse. There are packs of big baracuda there. My first time renting a boat in marathon, we trolled up a dozen every day on rigged ballyhoo..

Fishing in hawk channel can also produce some interesting catches..I got a nice king mackeral last time there.

Chris Miller
    1990 Grady 23 Gulfstream "CTALES V"
    1974 Mako 17 "Tiderunner"
    Mystic Islands, NJ (since 1970)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast